Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So are all the Canadian's buying their 5Diii in the USA?

mjmackinnon
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 21, 2012 08:13 |  #1

It seems that the USA has trumped Canada again by not only getting their camera's first, but selling them at a far cheaper price. Not that the Canadian Dollar is worth less than the US in value, but it sure seems so in buying power.

I for one won't be giving my money to my local camera store. If they can't compete with the global market place then they will not make money from me. I am curious how many other Canadian's have the same feeling of getting burnt on this new camera with the +$300 price difference to south of the border?

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

sponsored links
davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 21, 2012 08:16 |  #2

I've wondered the same about England. With the 1 Pound Sterling worth 50% more than the dollar, but yet buying the 5dmk3 in England will cost 50% more for the English. I've often wondered how many were willing to change the currency of pounds into dollars US, and have an American order thier camera.

BTW -- looking at the exchange rates it appears the Canadian dollar is trading for almost exactly 1 dollar US.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 21, 2012 08:53 |  #3

Hi,

If I compare Adorama to Henrys here in Ottawa it is only a $200 dollar difference. Mind you, as noted, there should be pretty much no difference.

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 21, 2012 08:59 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Don't forget that the for a couple of months last fall, 5D MkII was selling for $2000 in Canada, $400 less than in the USA.
The same was the case with 40D, in its days.

From time to time Canada enjoys cheaper Canon products, but generally speaking, you are right!
Most of my gear I bought in States, for at average, 30% less - after all taxes and S&H expenses.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

bfinta
860 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 21, 2012 09:02 |  #5

i buy almost all my gear from BH, 200$ price difference on the 5d III from Henry's and vistek, but if i walk into the store to buy it i'll get dinged with HST whereas if i order online from them its just GST, but if im already going to order online I may as well just order from BH since they are almost always faster (and also 200$ cheaper), usually have better customer service and they too only pre charge the GST with a VERY reasonable shipping charge with Purolator.

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 797 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 21, 2012 09:06 |  #6

I still like to buy my main gear (cameras and lenses) local. Deal with McBain here in Edmonton. Any problems, you bring the item in, they pack it send it away and take care of all the crap. I like that level of service, no hassles. Maybe I pay a bit more sometimes, but it is worth it in the long run to maintain that level of local service.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 21, 2012 09:07 |  #7

davidc502 wrote in post #14124993 (external link)
I've wondered the same about England. With the 1 Pound Sterling worth 50% more than the dollar, but yet buying the 5dmk3 in England will cost 50% more for the English. I've often wondered how many were willing to change the currency of pounds into dollars US, and have an American order thier camera.

BTW -- looking at the exchange rates it appears the Canadian dollar is trading for almost exactly 1 dollar US.

Hi. Don't know where in the world you are but I have to correct a couple of things here, even though I'm not an apologist for Canon.

Firstly, England is only one country within the United Kingdom - Google it for the others if you need to. All UK countries currently come under the same pricing, tax and duty policies and we pay 20% VAT (value added tax) on most items. The current price here for the 5D3 is £2,500 plus VAT = £3,000. Current B&H price is $3214.70 plus NYC sales tax. At today's exchange rate, the difference in price before sales tax/VAT is therefore 23%, not 50%. Enough of a difference, but less than half what you say. The US market is of course much larger than the UK's and as a result, both Canon and UK retailers have less competition, so can demand more for a new item such as this. Prices will soften very quickly...

Secondly, how is "1 Pound Sterling worth 50% more than the dollar"? It's just an exchange rate issue and it would seem that the dollar is actually worth - in spending power - 23% more than the pound in this case.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 21, 2012 09:56 |  #8

Yes, everything here in the US is better.
From the lemonade powered buses that travel down gumdrop cobbled streets to the candy-cane money dispensers we live a charmed life. It's really grand.

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 797 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 21, 2012 10:06 |  #9

rick_reno wrote in post #14125447 (external link)
From the lemonade powered buses that travel down gumdrop cobbled streets to the candy-cane money dispensers we live a charmed life. It's really grand.

Yes, my father was born in Minnesota and used to regale us with stories of such wonders.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

Zigot
601 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 21, 2012 10:23 |  #10

Well I am usually a Canadian business supporter but in this case, I have to buy from down south.
I understand In the past, when the US dollars was 10%-15% stronger, I wouldn't mind paying more for buying local but not with this current exchange rate.

Hehe Bfinta, maybe you would order a camera for me and I will get it from you to even save more.... lol

7D, 5Dii, 5Diii, 70-300L, 24-105L 70-200Lii, 135L, 85, Tammy 150-600, 430EXii, 550EX, 580EXii, Σ50, Σ105 Macro, Σ150 Macro, ΣEM-140, Σ1.4x, LensBaby 3G, White lightnings, Bowens. Gear - feedbacks

mjmackinnon
THREAD ­ STARTER
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 21, 2012 11:12 |  #11

General_T wrote in post #14125141 (external link)
Hi,

If I compare Adorama to Henrys here in Ottawa it is only a $200 dollar difference. Mind you, as noted, there should be pretty much no difference.

And a week ago, the price was $100 more at Henrys but Aden & Merkle were $100 less. I spoke with Henry's about my pre-order I had with them. They wouldn't give me a firm price until they have stock.

And so the logical question was "when will you have stock"? A: 'Hopefully we will ship before the end of April'. Q: "can I veryify my order" A: 'sorry our systems don't allow that'.

With that, I found that Crutchfield had them in stock last night and so I ordered from them. Shipped today, I'll get it on Friday to my Lewiston address. 2 1/2h out of my day to drive down, pick it up and have a nice lunch out. See the Falls, take some photo's and back home well before dinner time.

What is your guess when Henry's will deliver??

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

DeepShadows
145 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 21, 2012 11:12 |  #12

Agreed, I cancelled my order with Camera Canada once I did the math on the final price of B&H and ordered with them. Vistek and McBain don't get my money again, neither does Camera Canada as I can't pass up the chance to get the cam for $400 less using partial USD from my paypal account at B&H.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 21, 2012 11:13 |  #13

rick_reno wrote in post #14125447 (external link)

It's not all bad news over here in the land of smoke and darkness. Our gallons are 20% bigger than yours and stuff happens at least five hours before it does over there.

Mind you, our government has this afternoon announced the UK's 2012/13 Budget. Days have been extended to 28 hours and also, from the age of 3, we all have to work eight days a week. They got that idea from Paul McCartney apparently...

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 21, 2012 11:31 |  #14

So if we in the UK are paying £3,000 for our 5DMkIII over the shop counter, which is $4,753 at todays conversion rate, how much including sales tax etc. will you guys have to pay for your 5DMkIII in the USA, Canada, Australia and other countries.
Canon's quoted price of US$3,500 obviously rankled a bit when compared to the UK, but the UK price is £3,000 including all taxes but not shipping. Anyone want to find the cheapest country for the MkIII?

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 21, 2012 11:32 |  #15

JohnB57 wrote in post #14125880 (external link)
It's not all bad news over here in the land of smoke and darkness. Our gallons are 20% bigger than yours and stuff happens at least five hours before it does over there.

Mind you, our government has this afternoon announced the UK's 2012/13 Budget. Days have been extended to 28 hours and also, from the age of 3, we all have to work eight days a week. They got that idea from Paul McCartney apparently...

bw!

sponsored links

5,638 views & 0 likes for this thread
So are all the Canadian's buying their 5Diii in the USA?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.