Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon LP-E8 battery. Can you confirm this is original?

Giorgos
263 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 20, 2012 12:49 |  #1

Hello there guys, today i received a new LP-E8 from amazon.de (sold by amazon)
at the pictures below you can see my old one which is the left one (was together with my 550D bought in august 2011) and the new one i received which is the right one.

i am making this thread mainly because of the differences showed in picture 2 and i was wondering if canon changed the lettering on the newer batteries.

Anyone bought recently any LP-E8 and can confirm that i got an original one?

the case i opened for the battery had to be destroyed in order to open (so i guess no a returned fake amazon battery)

weight of the new battery is about 40grams like my old one (my mini scale is analog and not so good)

any help appreciated

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1120.photobuck​et.com …nmanlurikeen/DS​C08953.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1120.photobuck​et.com …nmanlurikeen/DS​C08952.jpg (external link)

5D MKIII / 550D / Σ 35 / Σ 17-50 / 24-105 f/4L is usm / 70-200 f/2.8L is usm ii
solomonidisgiorgos.com (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 20, 2012 16:15 |  #2

It can and does happen.
Here:http://www.amazon.com …tal-Cameras/dp/B00393THEK (external link)

and then this:
http://www.amazon.com …rd_r=13GEM5FXN2​PJ1RDHVCRW (external link)

To be sure I'd pack it up in whatever remains of the packaging and follow the Amazon return procedure. If it's misrepresented they'll most likely want to provide the proper product or refund.

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 20, 2012 20:43 |  #3

The best indication of a genuine battery is probably the Canon hologram on the packaging.

Canon has pictures of a real and counterfeit LP-E8 in their advisory (external link) but I can't tell them apart except for the printing shade of gray. However, both of them (and your old one) are made in Japan, and you new one is made in China. So either Canon switched manufacturing of the battery to China, which would account for the new label, or this isn't a very good fake.

(I have one LP-E6 which is says "cell made in Japan, pack assembled in China", and a newer one that says "made in China". Both are real Canon, so yes it looks like they switched.)

Giorgos
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 21, 2012 10:26 |  #4

NU27D wrote in post #14121229 (external link)
It can and does happen.
Here:http://www.amazon.com …tal-Cameras/dp/B00393THEK (external link)

and then this:
http://www.amazon.com …rd_r=13GEM5FXN2​PJ1RDHVCRW (external link)

To be sure I'd pack it up in whatever remains of the packaging and follow the Amazon return procedure. If it's misrepresented they'll most likely want to provide the proper product or refund.

mine is not gray colour and the lettering details seem to be ok.

i just wonder if they make now the batteries in China and also if they totally changed the lettering on the one side which they differ so much.

thanks Giorgos

Gear

Giorgos
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 21, 2012 10:27 |  #5

lar55 wrote in post #14122732 (external link)
The best indication of a genuine battery is probably the Canon hologram on the packaging.

Canon has pictures of a real and counterfeit LP-E8 in their advisory (external link) but I can't tell them apart except for the printing shade of gray. However, both of them (and your old one) are made in Japan, and you new one is made in China. So either Canon switched manufacturing of the battery to China, which would account for the new label, or this isn't a very good fake.

(I have one LP-E6 which is says "cell made in Japan, pack assembled in China", and a newer one that says "made in China". Both are real Canon, so yes it looks like they switched.)

can u give me production dates of your old battery and your new one??

thank you!

Gear

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 21, 2012 16:16 |  #6

Giorgos wrote in post #14125619 (external link)
can u give me production dates of your old battery and your new one??

If I'm reading it right, the old battery is stamped "2010 11" and the new one is "2011 11". (It looks like a date code, but it is preceded by only Japanese (?) characters, so I'm not sure.)

foz.foz
60 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 21, 2012 16:26 |  #7

Not sure if it helps but one is made in Japan and the other is made in China.???

HoyPhoto
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 22, 2012 13:01 |  #8

I recommend searching for the battery's serial number and seeing if anything comes up.

I bought a battery off Amazon.ca, but from a reseller. Guaranteed it was real and authentic. It didn't look like the one that came with my camera so I did some research. Just typed in my s/n of the new battery and up pops a post from someone who bought one in China with the same s/n. Did more research and there looked to be more reasons that it was a fake than a real one (marks on the battery, text, etc.). I returned it to the seller who still claimed it was real, so maybe it was, but I just didn't trust it. Got my shipping refunded too!

60D, 18-135, 430EX II

Giorgos
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 22, 2012 13:50 |  #9

lar55 wrote in post #14127626 (external link)
If I'm reading it right, the old battery is stamped "2010 11" and the new one is "2011 11". (It looks like a date code, but it is preceded by only Japanese (?) characters, so I'm not sure.)

similar dates for my batteries too and my newer one also is made in china.
packaging seems to be legit also , although i am waiting answers to my emails to canon.

seems at late 2011 and on some batteries are made in china.
i dont think my battery is a replaced fake because the case in order to be opened it has to be destroyed because it is glued. and i bought it straight from amazon not a reseller.

Gear

Giorgos
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 23, 2012 11:59 |  #10

Ok guys got my answer :)

Thank you for your email and images. We have reviewed the images and concluded that the LP-E8 shown on the right which you recently purchased is GENUINE.

Canon appreciates your support in its efforts to stop the sale of counterfeits. We encourage you to contact us again in the future should you purchase or become aware o, similarly suspicious product. It is our hope that you will continue to buy only genuine Canon products. Thank you for being a Canon customer.

With best regards,

The Canon Anti-counterfeiting Group

Gear

sponsored links

10,623 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon LP-E8 battery. Can you confirm this is original?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.