Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?

jubilatu
81 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 21, 2012 00:08 |  #286

Old Baldy wrote in post #14123350 (external link)
I finished a comparison test between my Canon 5Dc with 17-40L and 100-400L against my Sony NEX-5N with Voigtlander 15MM, Voigtlander 28MM and Leitz 70-210MM lenses today.

nice!
How is the CV 28mm on the nex-5n? It is comparable with the zeiss 24mm 1.8?

sponsored links
Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 21, 2012 04:25 |  #287

jubilatu wrote in post #14123901 (external link)
nice!
How is the CV 28mm on the nex-5n? It is comparable with the zeiss 24mm 1.8?

I'm so far very happy with the little CV 28mm Ultron f/2. In better light (than the above tests), it produces micro-contrast such that the details rendered seem almost "3D" at times. It's far crisper than the 17-40L on the 5Dc, for me.

Regarding the Zeiss 24mm....I have no experience with it. It's in a different price bracket to the CV 28MM, being about double the price,and I'm sure it will perform even better than the CV. If you have the money, I'd probably go for the Zeiss.

The CVs show just a hint of the magenta color shift on the NEX-5N (but much better than the NEX-7), but I intend to fix that permanently by making a set of custom lens calibrations for LR.

On the other hand, I got both the CV 15MM and 28MM for about the price of the Zeiss 24MM, and I think they give me a nicer spread of focal lengths on the NEX-5N. I like the 28MM on APS-C as it gives me an almost perfect 42MM FOV for day-to-day carry (I generally prefer something a little wider than 50MM FOV as a "normal" lens), while the 15MM is very nice for tighter interiors and landscapes.

OB
Gear list
Flickr Gallery (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,107 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 21, 2012 09:42 |  #288

For those waiting on the Oly OMD, Lenstip just reviewed the new 12-50 kit lens...and they really rip on it. Basically they say that they love reviewing oly lenses because they are all so great, until this one :(

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 21, 2012 10:01 |  #289

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14125366 (external link)
For those waiting on the Oly OMD, Lenstip just reviewed the new 12-50 kit lens...and they really rip on it. Basically they say that they love reviewing oly lenses because they are all so great, until this one :(

Good thing I have no intention of buying one--loses the main advantage of m4/3 with its larger size with nothing to show for it but weather sealing and semi-macro capability. If you're gonna go bigger, make it nice like the 4/3 (not m4/3) 12-60 f/2.8-4, you know? I'll stick with the cheap collapsible kit zoom.

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 21, 2012 10:13 |  #290

Yeah I didn't get the 12-50, was thinking about it b/c weather seald and honestly it's a pretty versitail lens, wide, tele, macro, weather sealed , electronic zoom for video,
Just the size and Slowness made me not want it

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 21, 2012 10:38 |  #291

I'm thinking an OM-D with a couple of primes (Panny 20/1.7 to start, maybe Oly's 12mm or one of the 'ultra wide' zooms, maybe the Leica/Panny pair, or just see what the adapted Leica R and Contax/Zeiss stuff looks like for the 'normal' to short telephoto range angle of view) will be a nice little travel cam.

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 21, 2012 10:56 |  #292

Well darned! Pre-ordered early-on with the 12-50. Hate to give up my place in line. Possibly will go ahead and get it for the dusty & dirty, and use my present 20/1.7 for conditions where serious image quality is a concern. The embedded macro will be a nice feature for out & about work, where one would not wish to be switching lenses anyway.

Jim

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 21, 2012 11:18 |  #293

jemanner wrote in post #14125779 (external link)
Well darned! Pre-ordered early-on with the 12-50. Hate to give up my place in line. Possibly will go ahead and get it for the dusty & dirty, and use my present 20/1.7 for conditions where serious image quality is a concern. The embedded macro will be a nice feature for out & about work, where one would not wish to be switching lenses anyway.

It's not a bad lens... I kind of want one for rain and stuff. But I'm on a budget. It was kit and 12mm or. 12 and 45 mm .

Check out robin wongs blog, he did reviews
http://robinwong.blogs​pot.com/ (external link)

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 21, 2012 11:22 |  #294

One newbie question here... Is there any disadvantage if I get the panasonic 4/3s lenses to use on the Oly OMD instead of using the oly lenses?

I am interested in the 20/1.7 from panny. Also the leica 25mm 1.4 looks good. Can anyone share some insights on those two lenses? I am thinking I should pick one out of the two as my primary lens.

I am going all primes. Probably will buy 3 primes to cover the range up to around 90mm @35mm equip... like most people here, i will use this for travel, people, family, kid, walkaround, street. Any suggestion of lenses?

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 21, 2012 11:25 |  #295

Don't quote me on this but don't think you benefit from olympuses quick af . If I remember correctly the new lenses have special af mechanics that make it faster on ep3 's and em5 . Pansy's don't have it.
Again don't quote me on this,

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 21, 2012 11:50 |  #296

nonick wrote in post #14125928 (external link)
One newbie question here... Is there any disadvantage if I get the panasonic 4/3s lenses to use on the Oly OMD instead of using the oly lenses?

Supposedly AF is a touch slower. I don't have a Panasonic body to compare against my E-P3, so I can't say for sure.

I am interested in the 20/1.7 from panny. Also the leica 25mm 1.4 looks good. Can anyone share some insights on those two lenses? I am thinking I should pick one out of the two as my primary lens.

20mm f/1.7 is slow and a bit noisy to focus. This is true on all bodies. 25mm f/1.4 is faster and quieter focusing, but on Olympus bodies the aperture makes a rattlesnake-like sound when it adjusts to try to show an accurate preview in live view. Both lenses are sharp wide open (I almost never stop down the 20mm). 25mm might have better bokeh and definitely better subject isolation (although not that much better).

I am going all primes. Probably will buy 3 primes to cover the range up to around 90mm @35mm equip... like most people here, i will use this for travel, people, family, kid, walkaround, street. Any suggestion of lenses?

I would suggest my lineup of course :) Olympus 12mm f/2, Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Olympus 45mm f/1.8.

Replace the 12mm with a Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 if you want a pancake lens and don't mind losing some wide angle and aperture.

Replace the 20mm with a 25mm f/1.4 for reasons mentioned above in the comparison. Or with an Olympus 17mm f/2.8 if you prefer the angle of view, otherwise it's in almost all ways a less desirable lens than the 20mm--softer and more chromatic aberration, although focus is faster. I have the 17mm only because I love the focal length, but the 20mm actually gets used more these days.

Replace the Olympus 45mm with a Panasonic 45mm f/2.8 if you want macro and don't mind the loss of aperture and some focus speed.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 21, 2012 11:54 |  #297

bedojo wrote in post #14125942 (external link)
Don't quote me on this but don't think you benefit from olympuses quick af . If I remember correctly the new lenses have special af mechanics that make it faster on ep3 's and em5 . Pansy's don't have it.
Again don't quote me on this,

I believe this is correct. It's only the newest Oly lenses and bodies that support this faster AF. Even without that, AF on 'normal' m4/3 lenses and bodies is not bad at all. The 20/1.7 is a great lens and since Oly has in-body IS you get a stabilized image.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 21, 2012 12:21 |  #298

krb wrote in post #14126107 (external link)
I believe this is correct. It's only the newest Oly lenses and bodies that support this faster AF. Even without that, AF on 'normal' m4/3 lenses and bodies is not bad at all. The 20/1.7 is a great lens and since Oly has in-body IS you get a stabilized image.

thought so,
ya thet AF isn't "that" bad, but it made me sell my ep1 and 20mm f1.7 :S
was on spring break in California last year, to manny out of focus shots b/c of the af speed :/

I going give the em5 with the oly 12 and 45mm a try, see if the focus is fast enough for travel and daily use :) i have high hopes it is, as i want to shoot more.
I dont like my 5d2 and 24-70 / 70-200 except for paid gigs, and model shoots :)

we'll see, i loved the ep1! af was the issue, sounds like they fixed af now, soooo hehehe, i might be happy :p

edit: improved not fixed :P

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 21, 2012 12:41 |  #299

bedojo wrote in post #14126294 (external link)
thought so,
ya thet AF isn't "that" bad, but it made me sell my ep1 and 20mm f1.7 :S
was on spring break in California last year, to manny out of focus shots b/c of the af speed :/

I going give the em5 with the oly 12 and 45mm a try, see if the focus is fast enough for travel and daily use :) i have high hopes it is, as i want to shoot more.
I dont like my 5d2 and 24-70 / 70-200 except for paid gigs, and model shoots :)

we'll see, i loved the ep1! af was the issue, sounds like they fixed af now, soooo hehehe, i might be happy :p

edit: improved not fixed :P

Well, the AF on the E-P1 might as well be broken it's so slow :D Believe me--I have one. Great camera and its slow AF didn't bother me too much since I had a 5D for when AF really mattered, but the E-P3 is so much better just because of AF speed.

I can tell you right now: E-M5 + 12mm and 45mm is going to have super fast AF. It slows down a bit in lower light but still pretty fast, definitely much faster than that slowpoke 20mm.

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 22, 2012 00:19 |  #300

I have completely switched to m43 system about an year ago, and what I gained from the trade off is so much bigger than what I lost.
My current setup is Pana Lumix G3 withPana 14mm f/2.5 (external link), Pana(Leica) 25mm f/1.4 (external link) and Oly 45mm f/1.8 (external link) prime lenses. (these are fantastic little lenses!)
Now get this, all those equipment mentioned above weights about 700g (1.5 lbs) total.
For a comparison, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L weights 950g (2.1 lbs).
I could get another m43 body like GF3 (264g) and closely break even.

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

sponsored links

80,637 views & 2 likes for this thread
DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.