Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 22, 2012 09:55 |  #3871

IMHO, they have obviously been working on making these for a while since they're (seemingly) flooding the market with them. The only question is was the ship date pushed up to beat the D800 to the market... It is funny that the included DPP is pretty bad from what I've heard. You would have thought they'd get that setup perfectly for the new files before people could complain about NR smearing details ETC. What adobe does is obviously out of canon's control, but yeah, their OEM software should have been more polished IMHO.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 22, 2012 09:59 |  #3872

I plan to use CS5 for any RAW edits I do until LR4 releases an update... I don't have any serious shooting going on until May though, so I should be fine to learn the camera, get my lenses microadjusted, etc... No rush for RAW capability just yet, but I have a feeling when LR4 is updated, people will be happy with the RAW performance (as always). The difference between my 5D2 JPEG's and a simple RAW->JPEG conversion in LR4 is huge. So much more detail, better images. I expect the same with the 5D3.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,511 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 22, 2012 10:03 |  #3873

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #14131940 (external link)
Mark, I collected my 5DIII on saturday 17th (5 days early) and I had a manual in the box. The Canon Supplied DPP works fine to convert CR2 to Jpeg/tiff formats. But Adobe (different company) has been slow to push out compatability with their raw converter in Light Room 4. Photoshop is working, but not LR. This is not uncommon, Adobe launches LR updates every 3-4 months and the 5DIII just missed inclusion with the latest release. I've had this problem with both the 5D and 5DII...so why should anyone expect the 5DIII to be any different? I've had an ef 8-15mm fish eye for ovver 6 months and Adobe still haven't provided lens correction filters for it....but have for other lenses. So the fault lies with Adobe and their haphazard appraoch to updates.
I terms of the 5DIII's marketabilty, it's a code locked product and it's a fantastic camera. Probably the most versatile DSLR ever made.

IMAGE: http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/tinfoilhatsmile.gif
IMAGE LINK: http://www.millan.net  (external link) If it was a Nikon lens they'd have that handled already. :p:twisted:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Cody21
592 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 22, 2012 10:06 |  #3874

I've also read in the Adobe forum that they likely have no plans to include the 5DIII RAW update applied to LR3 ... we must upgrade to LR4 to expect the update. :-(

---------------

5DM3 | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 70-200mm IS f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 | Speedlite 430EX

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,426 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 22, 2012 10:11 |  #3875

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14132018 (external link)
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]
If it was a Nikon lens they'd have that handled already. :p:twisted:

lol....very true! It think Adobe see the 8-15mm fishy as a very niche lens and very low on their "to do" list. Camerawise, I think the d800 was Nikon's worst kept secret, where as the 5DIII was one of Canon's best kept secrets and as such....Adobe didn't get much time to react.

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,426 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 22, 2012 10:12 |  #3876

Cody21 wrote in post #14132030 (external link)
I've also read in the Adobe forum that they likely have no plans to include the 5DIII RAW update applied to LR3 ... we must upgrade to LR4 to expect the update. :-(

True, but ACR 6.7 into CS5 can convert CS2 files into DNG format raws....which both LR3 and LR4 can open. Although it's an additonal hop, it's still a workable solution.

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2012 10:44 |  #3877

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #14131940 (external link)
Mark, I collected my 5DIII on saturday 17th (5 days early) and I had a manual in the box. The Canon Supplied DPP works fine to convert CR2 to Jpeg/tiff formats. But Adobe (different company) has been slow to push out compatability with their raw converter in Light Room 4. Photoshop is working, but not LR. This is not uncommon, Adobe launches LR updates every 3-4 months and the 5DIII just missed inclusion with the latest release. I've had this problem with both the 5D and 5DII...so why should anyone expect the 5DIII to be any different? I've had an ef 8-15mm fish eye for ovver 6 months and Adobe still haven't provided lens correction filters for it....but have for other lenses. So the fault lies with Adobe and their haphazard appraoch to updates.
I terms of the 5DIII's marketabilty, it's a code locked product and it's a fantastic camera. Probably the most versatile DSLR ever made.

Thanks for the clarification. :-)

But wouldn't it have been good for Canon to contact Adobe and have their information available a while ago?

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 22, 2012 10:48 |  #3878

mtimber wrote in post #14132300 (external link)
But wouldn't it have been good for Canon to contact Adobe and have their information available a while ago?

I don't see that its Canons issue in any way. If Adobe wants our business it needs to be approaching Canon NOT the other way around.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

jthomps123
476 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 22, 2012 10:51 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #3879

Does the 5d3 HDR mode actually bracket the raws? As in 3 separate shutter actuations? It appears its counterpart uses a single shutter actuation to create the HDR - which would actually make it useful for more than just tripod landscapes? Or do I have it wrong?

1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 22, 2012 10:52 |  #3880

Got to love Adobe... :rolleyes:

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 22, 2012 10:56 as a reply to  @ bacchanal's post |  #3881

yeah, no secret there and I wouldn't be surprised if LR4 got shipped, what, 2 weeks ago,, JUST to make sure all the new 1Dx D4 D800 and 5Diii owners HAD to update. The CS6 release is also suspect, I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled CS6 out in production form very soon here, then the ACR update to handle these new cameras comes out just after it's release. IE forcing you to get new software with your new camera.

They are nice enough to give all of us free DNG converters though. They don't need to do that and it allows you to use whatever you want. But I'm 99% sure they're timing their software releases right now with these 4 new cameras to milk the cash cow as much as possible.

jthomps123 wrote in post #14132345 (external link)
Does the 5d3 HDR mode actually bracket the raws? As in 3 separate shutter actuations? It appears its counterpart uses a single shutter actuation to create the HDR - which would actually make it useful for more than just tripod landscapes? Or do I have it wrong?

it takes and saves 3 RAWs.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

jthomps123
476 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 22, 2012 11:05 |  #3882

jacobsen1 wrote in post #14132382 (external link)
it takes and saves 3 RAWs.

It appears it does this with 3 shutter releases. I was happy to learn about this feature but im not a landscape shooter so it appears like it will be useless to me. HDR mode would have been great for bridals / wedding etc... but ...

1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 22, 2012 11:07 |  #3883

Some more review

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/10970​85 (external link)

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 22, 2012 11:08 |  #3884
bannedPermanently

mtimber wrote in post #14131643 (external link)
I think that it is a given that most images get cropped, even if a little bit. That gets around the focus not quite reaching the 3rds intersections... Leave a little more room with your framing, then crop in post...

When one's subject can't pose and there isn't always room/time/zoom range, that's not always an option.

Oh yeah it can't be a technique you use for everything but I was just refuting what he said, I think the spots on the corner do overlap intersections of thirds.

Have you looked at the posted diagrams? The corner points are roughly the width of two of the AF point boxes inside of the RoT vertices.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 22, 2012 11:11 |  #3885
bannedPermanently

jacobsen1 wrote in post #14131977 (external link)
IMHO, they have obviously been working on making these for a while since they're (seemingly) flooding the market with them. The only question is was the ship date pushed up to beat the D800 to the market...

Given that the D800 is a downgrade relative to the D700, I have to wonder about that.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

538,258 views & 0 likes for this thread, 461 members have posted to it and it is followed by 9 members.
OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.