Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 15:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D mark III problem ?????

Jcr918
148 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 22, 2012 15:55 |  #1

Ok so I just got my Canon 5D mark III and I am upgrading from the t3i a bit of a learning curve.

I am having some issue I think that might be software related but I am not 100% sure.
My 5D mark III keeps freezing up the lens wont spin to focus and the menu runs slow some times. My 24-70mm 2.8 L lens works great on my t3i and for the most part on the 5D mark III but not when I can't take a picture I turn the camera off and and back on everything is good to go for awhile.

Also Last night my Canon 430exII speedlight mounted on the hotshoe in E-ttl also seemed like it was having some type of communication issue with the camera.

Does anyone know if this could be software related or is this a hardware issue ? Also what known bugs are there for the Canon 5D mark III

Canon 5D Mark III :) & Canon T3i/24-70mm 2.8/70-200mm IS 2.8 Mark II /2 600ex RT /2 430ex II/

sponsored links
5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 22, 2012 16:32 |  #2

Time to call your seller and get a replacement.

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2012 16:36 |  #3

Give it back and ask for replacement

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS QGP ASINWP
My Website (external link)

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 22, 2012 16:44 |  #4

5Dmaniac wrote in post #14134468 (external link)
Time to call your seller and get a replacement.

Pete W wrote in post #14134498 (external link)
Give it back and ask for replacement

Yes, let's jump right there, not investigate whether it might be something a simple as a nearly expended battery or benign as perhaps just resetting the camera to default.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

Jcr918
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 22, 2012 16:44 as a reply to  @ Pete W's post |  #5

They have none in stock and the shop said they believe its a firmware issue. Said I have two weeks to get a replacement and 1 year warranty.

Does anyone think this could be firmware ? In honestly seems like a software issue

Canon 5D Mark III :) & Canon T3i/24-70mm 2.8/70-200mm IS 2.8 Mark II /2 600ex RT /2 430ex II/

lens ­ pirate
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 22, 2012 16:46 |  #6

Jcr918 wrote in post #14134529 (external link)
They have none in stock and the shop said they believe its a firmware issue. Said I have two weeks to get a replacement and 1 year warranty.

Does anyone think this could be firmware ? In honestly seems like a software issue

Firmware is software.... Get a replacement Take it back. Or your gonna end up doing the ship it in for warranty thing.

INSANE GEAR LIST
Sun flare.... the new selective color. JUST SAY NO

borism
Goldmember
3,417 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 22, 2012 16:48 |  #7

Well, IMHO, if i spend the cash for 5D3, id be asking for a new one if the thing is not working properly out of the box.
Yes it could be something very simple, but I wouldn't want to deal with that, Just me.

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 22, 2012 17:19 |  #8

I would check the battery first. Is your battery fully charged? If the lens won't spin to focus and your menu is slow, I suspect it is a bad battery or not charged enough? I would try a different battery and see if that changes anything.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

orbitechgr
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 22, 2012 17:23 |  #9

So take it there check with a new battery at the store and if not leave it for replacement..
I understand you really want it bad and cannot wait but don't risk so much money when you can get a replacement. Besides that I haven't heard any firmware issues with MkIII thus far..

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2012 17:24 |  #10

Unregistered.Coward wrote in post #14134526 (external link)
Yes, let's jump right there, not investigate whether it might be something a simple as a nearly expended battery or benign as perhaps just resetting the camera to default.

Well you might like defective goods but if I had just shelled out big bucks I would be taking it straight back......

Oh looks others have said take it back.... No but maybe you are right and he should hang on to it hoping a miracle will happen and it will mend itself........:rolleyes:

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS QGP ASINWP
My Website (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 22, 2012 17:28 |  #11

borism wrote in post #14134560 (external link)
Well, IMHO, if i spend the cash for 5D3, id be asking for a new one if the thing is not working properly out of the box.
Yes it could be something very simple, but I wouldn't want to deal with that, Just me.

So instead of fixing something simple, you'd rather go to the trouble of sending it back? Sending something back is such a hassle, not to mention you don't have the use of it while you're waiting. My first thought, regardless of how much I paid, is not to jump to conclusions straight off and send the thing back. Exhaust your options as far as what could be wrong. Are you sure it's on AF and not MF? It could be something that simple. Go into focus menu and make sure something isn't changed. Are you trying to focus on something that is closer than the minimum focusing distance? All these are things I would at least try first.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Jcr918
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 22, 2012 17:48 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #12

I have only played with it for two days. I am going to give it a bit more time i guess. I have two weeks to return it. Hopefully it's something simple like user error or software:p

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,193 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 22, 2012 17:56 |  #13

Why would you consider software a simple problem? There are no firmware updates.

WickedRay
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 22, 2012 18:47 as a reply to  @ mrgooch's post |  #14

May I suggest that you try it using the "Green Box full auto", that should negate any user error. I have none of your problems so possibly you may have a faulty one.

Cheers, Ray.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,284 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 22, 2012 18:55 |  #15

I assume you've tried another lens.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

10,779 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D mark III problem ?????
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.