Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 08:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Avenger E700 and F830 Baby Pins

asamimasa
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2012 08:44 |  #1

I recently picked up two accessories for my lightstands, the Avenger E700 Baby Drop Down Pin, and the Avenger F830 Baby Swivel Pin. What these do is hang a studio light from a boom arm in such a manner that you're hanging your light straight down,instead of relying on the tension ratchet of the light itself making it a lot easier to adjust. This gets really useful when you're using larger modifiers like a 40"+ softbox or a 22" beauty dish.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Avenger E700

The E700 is a simple hinge joint with a standard 5/8" stud on the end. A tightening knob affixes it to a boom arm. A pair of wingnuts is used to loosen and tighten the hinge. A note about the hinges, at least on the copy I got, it's never one hundred percent secure, it's always got a slight bit of wiggle room, and if your light setup is heavy enough, will not stay put at you intended.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Another caveat of the E700 is that the female slot has no defined stop, and will allow the extension head to go through all the way until it hits the end of the hinge arm. If you're not mindful of this design issue, the hinge arm won't turn after tightening down the knob. Here's what that situation looks like-

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Avenger F830
In function, it does the same thing as the E700. In practice, it seems highly promising that it will be much more convenient to use. Instead of a wingnut tightening system which requires considerable tightening to hold up around 10lbs, it features the same locking knobs found on the vertical extension of a century stand. This puts my mind at ease, as I have utmost faith in my C-stand knobs. The F830 features a ball-and-socket joint, another huge advantage. It allows for a much greater range of adjustment, compared to the E700, which required a loosening of the locking knob, the tension ratchet of the flash (defeating the point of the entire device), or the entire boom arm in order to move it in a third dimension. The F830 also had a hard stop in how far it can be mounted onto a boom arm. The locking mechanism is the same as the E700, but as an extra touch, there is a spring threaded by the screw.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

One thing I noticed was that the E700 locks down really deep. Possibly designed under the assumption that it's going to be used on a boom arm of significant length, it's too deep to be used on a standard brass stud. In the case that you want to mount this to anything besides a boom arm, e.g. if you want more clearance for vertical angle changes with a beauty dish on a standard lightstand, you'll have to watch out for clearance. Here's a comparison between the two against a monopod with stud (E700 on left, F830 on right)-

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The shaft of the E700 is a bit longer, which may or may not be beneficial to you.

One last thing of note- I ordered both of these from BH Photo, and while the F830 came packaged in its own box, the E700 came in none. While it's not indicative at all of it'll arrive broken (these are pieces of gear that will never break), it is a slightly reassuring touch to know that the manufacturer bothered to package it at all.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Conclusion
Both of these are very solid products that I can't imagine ever failing on me. The E700 is a bit simpler and does have a few drawbacks compared to the F830, but still a great product overall. Since I do use larger light modifiers, I plan on keeping the F830.

Gear List here

sponsored links
asamimasa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2012 08:47 |  #2

Some more pics:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gear List here

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 22, 2012 09:01 |  #3

thanks for posting this,,, Very helpfull

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 22, 2012 10:56 |  #4

Nice but grip hardware thread already covers most with all little nuicances of each. The main thing with drop down pin is to keep the strobe/modifier hanging down as you change the boom angle. I don't think it made for making that knob tight to set the angle of the pin.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 22, 2012 15:50 |  #5

bobbyz wrote in post #14132385 (external link)
Nice but grip hardware thread already covers most with all little nuicances of each. The main thing with drop down pin is to keep the strobe/modifier hanging down as you change the boom angle. I don't think it made for making that knob tight to set the angle of the pin.

+1... The E700 is made to hinge like that. You can change the the height of the boom and the E700 will keep the Modifier in the same adjustment. This is a important feature to me.

Kacey Enterprises (external link)

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 22, 2012 16:45 |  #6

In your last pic if you flip the knuckle around to the opposite side of the BD; facing the backside of the AB, you'll get more vertical travel out of the dish as well. It also makes adjusting both knobs easier when its opened vs. pinched betwen the boom and modifier.

Regarding the comments around picture #3 where the E700 IS IN a locked position... That IS the perfect position if you plan to move your boom, stand, light, modifier and VML (ha) between setups. When locked, the light and modifier will NOT bash around as you dodge obstacles.

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 22, 2012 11:33 |  #7

J Kacey wrote in post #14134209 (external link)
+1... The E700 is made to hinge like that. You can change the the height of the boom and the E700 will keep the Modifier in the same adjustment. This is a important feature to me.

Would you mind expounding on this? Is that center hinge designed so that the free rod always points down? Are we the supposed to adjust the angles of the BD using the swilvel provided in AB800?

Can you please post a picture of your aetup using the E700 pin?

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 22, 2012 12:32 |  #8

shankarhokie wrote in post #14468767 (external link)
Would you mind expounding on this? Is that center hinge designed so that the free rod always points down? Are we the supposed to adjust the angles of the BD using the swilvel provided in AB800?

Can you please post a picture of your aetup using the E700 pin?

That's exactly right. The rod always points down. All adjustment are made on the light itself. Like he said, when you change the angle of the boom arm, the light continues to stay level.

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 22, 2012 12:45 |  #9

bdillon wrote in post #14469054 (external link)
That's exactly right. The rod always points down. All adjustment are made on the light itself. Like he said, when you change the angle of the boom arm, the light continues to stay level.

Thanks! Any reason then why that was not made into a free hinge joint? Is the reason for the butterfly nut to provide some level of stability and not have the light+modifier flop around?

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 22, 2012 15:08 |  #10

shankarhokie wrote in post #14469091 (external link)
Thanks! Any reason then why that was not made into a free hinge joint? Is the reason for the butterfly nut to provide some level of stability and not have the light+modifier flop around?

That would be my guess. Outdoors I look it into position to keep the wind from moving the light around. Indoors I let it hang freely. It just adds that extra bit of versatility instead of making it a single purpose device.

sponsored links

4,909 views & 0 likes for this thread
Review: Avenger E700 and F830 Baby Pins
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.