Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 22 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 14:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hmpph. I'm never building another PC...

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2012 14:53 |  #1

...without water cooling.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

sponsored links
Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 22, 2012 15:22 |  #2

If I were you I would never build another one without cable management., Yuck!!!

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2012 15:25 |  #3

And I'll never build one with water cooling. Water can let the magic smoke out of electronics.

Gear List

Hen3Ry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2012 15:41 |  #4

Daship wrote in post #14134053 (external link)
If I were you I would never build another one without cable management., Yuck!!!

Yeah, I know. It's not finished. All those stupid yellow/red cables on the bottom are from the internal fans, which seem these days to all come with a double molex connector plus a three pin connector. I need to get rid of all the molex junk and put the fan connectors on the MB or a fan controller.

Hen3Ry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2012 15:48 |  #5

Numenorean wrote in post #14134061 (external link)
And I'll never build one with water cooling. Water can let the magic smoke out of electronics.

I know, I've been dealing with water cooled computers since the 1970s, which is why it will have a fan controller that will shut it down on rapid temperature excursions.

Kosik remembers a time when the IBM 360 mainframe was ubiquitous. These water-cooled behemoths would occasionally literally spring a leak, and "they were not waterproof," says Kosik. Burst hoses and leaking valves would lead to an immediate shutdown and a visit from a technician. In case of a failure in the building cooling system, the IBM 360 even had an optional bolt-on water storage tank.

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,556 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2012 15:50 |  #6

where is the neon? isnt that all the rage still?

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 22, 2012 16:02 |  #7

Hen3Ry wrote in post #14134196 (external link)
I know, I've been dealing with water cooled computers since the 1970s, which is why it will have a fan controller that will shut it down on rapid temperature excursions.

By the time rapid temp happens the smoke will be rolling. You cant get just as much cooling out of a $100 highend air cooler as you can with those welfare water wannabe coolers. Not worth the risk at all.

Hen3Ry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2012 16:54 |  #8

peeaanuut wrote in post #14134207 (external link)
where is the neon? isnt that all the rage still?

Lol. There actually is a blue LED tube in the front panel. It came with the case.

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 22, 2012 17:06 |  #9

Daship wrote in post #14134293 (external link)
You cant get just as much cooling out of a $100 highend air cooler as you can with those welfare water wannabe coolers.

Indeed.

Every test I have seen of that type of water cooler (including that particular model), shows them to be about as effective as a decent air cooling unit. And less effective (and more noisy) than the really good air CPU coolers.

IMHO, water cooling is overrated. For almost all systems, the quietest and most efficient cooling is air. Even with some pretty serious overclocking.
And when you finally get to the point where air cooling is no longer a viable option, there are better alternatives than water cooling.

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,556 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2012 17:30 |  #10

Cable management with a proper push pull fan set-up will get you way better temps. Most people forget to pull hot air out and are too worried about getting cold air in.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Hen3Ry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2012 18:51 |  #11

peeaanuut wrote in post #14134820 (external link)
Cable management with a proper push pull fan set-up will get you way better temps. Most people forget to pull hot air out and are too worried about getting cold air in.

I need to trim the fan cables. I chose to buy a power supply because of its silence rating: 0dBA - it's fanless, but it's non-modular. The case has built in cable management - as you can see the main power cable to the MB comes through a slot in the backplate. The loop at the top right is the power connector for a DVD-RAM drive waiting to be connected. When I get done the cables will be under control.

There are a 140 and a 120 mm intake fan in the front - one in front of the drive bay, one at the center, and in the rear, two 80mm exhaust fans above the PS, then one 120 mm behind the radiator. I can add another to the front of the radiator, but right now, with its side open, it's running at 28* C. with one Velociraptor, one SSD, and one DVD-DL.

I'm using on-chip graphics for now, and may add an Nvidia 8400 GS fanless PCI card if I decide to use this machine for PS as well as its intended use in a recording studio.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 22, 2012 19:45 |  #12

Hen3Ry wrote in post #14135310 (external link)
I'm using on-chip graphics for now, and may add an Nvidia 8400 GS fanless PCI card if I decide to use this machine for PS as well as its intended use in a recording studio.

So you dropped a few notes for a Porsche and you want to stick a Honda engine in it? :cry:

Get a used 8800GT/GTS if your going to travel back in time. Most tablets and some phones today have faster graphics chip then an 8400 GS. The 8400 is 1.8 Gpixels/second while the 8800GT is 9.6 Gpixels/second and most of the new smart phones coming out later this year will exceed 2.0 Gpixels/second.

Hen3Ry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2012 21:29 |  #13

isoMorphic wrote in post #14135688 (external link)
So you dropped a few notes for a Porsche and you want to stick a Honda engine in it? :cry:

Get a used 8800GT/GTS if your going to travel back in time. Most tablets and some phones today have faster graphics chip then an 8400 GS. The 8400 is 1.8 Gpixels/second while the 8800GT is 9.6 Gpixels/second and most of the new smart phones coming out later this year will exceed 2.0 Gpixels/second.

That's great, I suppose, but I'm not sure that CS5 gets that must benefit from a high end card. That is to say, I haven't seen any benefit from using a PCI-E 16 lane NVidia card in my Photoshop 9550 quad (on OS X) over this particular card, for example, especially in PS.

This machine is a Digital Audio WS that needs a fairly fast processor, fast memory and fast drives, and to be as quiet as possible. The only things that move on my screen are mixer levels and scrolling windows, unless I move them with my mouse.

However, if I find that this machine (which currently has only XP on it) does well with PS after I transfer my Windows 7 installation over to it, and I can support both music and photography adequately on the disk drives and OSs in one machine, I may upgrade to some sort of more advanced graphics. After all, I'm not using any of the five PCIe slots or the two PCI slots. And I've got an NVidia 9800 laying around here somewhere, and it would be nice to have only one machine - at least, economically.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 23, 2012 00:17 |  #14

Economically you can pick up an 8800GT used for just slightly above the cost of that substantially slower card. As long as it's not an overclock fan noise wont be much of an issue. When i push my system hard being it's highly OC'd it sounds like an airplane taking off but that's to be expected. You can always turn the fan down when needed using software like Afterburner. You also have a water cooler so you don't need the GPU fan which means you can have your cake and eat it too.

sponsored links

2,341 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hmpph. I'm never building another PC...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.