Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 23 Mar 2012 (Friday) 07:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many of your weddings cancel per year?

Michael1984
641 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 23, 2012 07:54 |  #1

I have 16 weddings booked for 2012 so far and already have had 2 cancel due to breakups. 1 of the 2 are demanding the money back but clearly states in the contract the retainer is non refundable.

How often do you have weddings cancel due to breakups? do the clients demand the money back? Just curious of what everyone else experiences!

5D MK II | 24-70 2.8L

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,651 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2012 07:57 |  #2

I have had 4 cancellations in the last 3 years. They lose their deposit but that is all.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 23, 2012 09:02 |  #3

I've had three cancellations this year, a record by the way. Although my terms and conditions state that it is non refundable I have refunded their deposit as they have let me know a fair way out from the day. I find myself feeling sorry for some of their sad stories. I don't like to capitalise on people's misery. On the other hand I have had in the past a few people cancel within a month because they decided to have a friend photograph the wedding or something of the sort and I have gotten pretty fierce and not refunded, in fact I have paid out on them, not with money though. :mad::mad::mad:

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,327 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 23, 2012 09:13 as a reply to  @ highway0691's post |  #4

I had 1 last year. And ive got a very upset bride and a groom with cold feet this year.

My policy is you loose your deposit unless i can rebook the date.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Michael1984
THREAD ­ STARTER
641 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 23, 2012 09:22 |  #5

What about if the client chose to pay in full at the time of the booking instead of the 1/2 retainer?

5D MK II | 24-70 2.8L

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 23, 2012 09:23 |  #6

Michael1984 wrote in post #14138662 (external link)
What about if the client chose to pay in full at the time of the booking instead of the 1/2 retainer?

What does your contract say? I'd refund whatever cept. The retainer.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

Michael1984
THREAD ­ STARTER
641 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 23, 2012 09:33 |  #7

My contract says the retainer is non refundable. Because they chose to pay in full. The full amount becomes the retainer. the key is using retainer instead of deposit in your contract

5D MK II | 24-70 2.8L

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 23, 2012 09:40 |  #8

Michael1984 wrote in post #14138735 (external link)
My contract says the retainer is non refundable. Because they chose to pay in full. The full amount becomes the retainer. the key is using retainer instead of deposit in your contract

I personally would refund half - whatever the retainer would be. You don't want to make angry customers, because we all know that unhappy customers will tell 100's of potental customers where a happy customer will only tell 10% of that.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 23, 2012 09:54 |  #9

Michael1984 wrote in post #14138735 (external link)

This is a bit shady and I would bet you run into issues. A retainer should be a percentage of the total, and that is what should be kept. Anything further should be returned.

Of course, if it is a destination wedding and requires flight/room/etc. that type of expense is non refundable.

Gear List

Michael1984
THREAD ­ STARTER
641 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 23, 2012 11:06 |  #10

I agree. Im going to return half of his money. I think that's the best thing to do

5D MK II | 24-70 2.8L

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 23, 2012 11:51 |  #11

I've had two cancel my entire time capturing weddings. One was due to an unexpected deployment and they didn't even ask for their money back, in fact they went out of their way to tell me to keep it or pass the savings on to another couple. The second asked for it back only if I was able to book their date again. But in that case it was only 3 weeks to their wedding and I wasn't able to.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 23, 2012 17:29 |  #12

I have 1-2 every year. I keep the retainer and that's always understood and not challenged.

For one cancellation, the couple paid in full up front at their request so that they knew their photography was fully paid for (I don't get it, but they insisted). Of course, I kept only my usual retainer amount and returned the balance.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

jclaveria
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 23, 2012 19:21 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #13

It really depends on the retainer as everybody has mentioned. Retainer runs around 35-50% of contract. If he paid 100% in advance, I will return the paid amount minus retainer if it's not passed the date on the contract which says she should pay full amount on or before X number of days before the wedding. After that, I can legally keep everything but would return some amount on a case to case basis.

I would not trick a customer to sign 100% contract price as retainer just because he/she was excited to book my service.

Gear List

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 23, 2012 23:18 |  #14

I had a client who hired me last May, then canceled last September. I kept her retainer, as per my contract. She called me back in November, asking if she could re-hire me and use the existing retainer for a different date. This was a first for me, so I said sure. Just this past January, she canceled again ...and wanted to know if I'd refund her money!
My contract states that any cancellation within 6 months of the wedding date results in complete liability for the entire contracted amount (excluding album credits), and the retainer is always non-refundable (always call it a retainer; never call it a deposit). There was one couple last year who canceled three weeks before their wedding, due to a breakup. I was expecting to have to go to court to collect my remaining balance but they sent me a check right away.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

jclaveria
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 24, 2012 00:56 |  #15

You don't have to refund her for retainer at all. You've been kind enough to give her a second chance and not have to pay another retainer.

As for the three weeks before wedding, I think the best way to deal with this is to give enough time to collect the balance, latest should be about 30 days prior to the wedding. Definitely a huge hassle to go to small claims court.

PhotoMatte wrote in post #14143165 (external link)
I had a client who hired me last May, then canceled last September. I kept her retainer, as per my contract. She called me back in November, asking if she could re-hire me and use the existing retainer for a different date. This was a first for me, so I said sure. Just this past January, she canceled again ...and wanted to know if I'd refund her money!
My contract states that any cancellation within 6 months of the wedding date results in complete liability for the entire contracted amount (excluding album credits), and the retainer is always non-refundable (always call it a retainer; never call it a deposit). There was one couple last year who canceled three weeks before their wedding, due to a breakup. I was expecting to have to go to court to collect my remaining balance but they sent me a check right away.

Gear List

sponsored links

4,016 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many of your weddings cancel per year?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.