Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Mar 2012 (Friday) 16:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos!

this thread is locked
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,917 posts
Gallery: 1733 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 23, 2012 13:46 |  #916

Saxi wrote in post #14140180 (external link)
Those vertical stripes is the wall paper.

QUOTED IMAGE

Oh, then nevermind. :lol: Change your wall paper! :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2012 13:49 |  #917

One thing I found interesting, I have a 60MB/s Sandisk Extreme 16GB CF and I am seeing 12 as the continuous burst available, but I am able to get 32 using RAW before it starts to slow down. I never shoot that deep, just thought it was interesting.

The ISO button will take some getting use to, requires more pressure. The DOF button is awesome! Such a perfect place for it, and no so usable. Before it was too hard to get to and I never bothered to use it. Now it is so comfortable and "within reach" without looking at the camera.

Ergonomics are definitely better.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2012 13:49 |  #918

QUOTED IMAGE

The viewers breathed a collective sigh of relief. ;)

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

newporthomie
Goldmember
4,175 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 23, 2012 13:58 |  #919

QUOTED IMAGE

Banding:oops:

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 23, 2012 14:00 |  #920

Another good shot to show detail... ISO 200, f/2.8 with my 70-200 II... Near MFD. You can see high detail on the leaves in focus. Simply beautiful.

SOOC JPEG. Did not touch it at all.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7060/6862970782_68c953ce39_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/invertalon/6862​970782/  (external link)
6M3C0678 (external link) by invertalon (external link), on Flickr

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2012 14:01 |  #921

newporthomie wrote in post #14140258 (external link)
Banding:oops:

Yeah, pretty serious banding going on there.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

tgamron
305 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 23, 2012 14:07 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #922

The focus is 1000% better over the older 5D's. I went to the local pond, and a duck came in for landing. I had a few seconds to point the camera, focus and shoot.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7074/7008916483_ebf03f6353_c.jpg

Canon G11
click (external link) or click (external link)
http://www.gamron.com (external link)

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 23, 2012 14:10 |  #923

tgamron wrote in post #14140318 (external link)
The focus is 1000% better over the older 5D's. I went to the local pond, and a duck came in for landing. I had a few seconds to point the camera, focus and shoot.
QUOTED IMAGE

Cool Shot,

I like the way there is a good deal of splash in front of the duck as well as behind!!

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 23, 2012 14:21 |  #924

This is the first time that I haven't had to do any microadjustment to any lens on a new camera. I tried three of them (two zooms at both ends and a prime), and nothing was out. I still have a couple of others to try, but so far so good.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2012 14:26 |  #925

QUOTED IMAGE

Hahahahahahahaha :lol:

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 23, 2012 14:29 |  #926

I spent the time to go through my lenses... I printed out the Focal target you use to calibrate via software... Set it up outside and shot wide/tele for all. All my lenses needed adjustment and the improvement was clear. I thought they was fine before, but now it is exact (or close to).

My 24-105L is +3 on both wide and tele.
135L is at like +3
70-200 II is at like +9 wide, +3 tele.
70-200 + TC is 0 on wide end, +6 on tele
135L + TC I did as well but forget the number.

I can't wait until the Focal program supports the 5D3 though, so I can see how close I got. I started by setting up on tripod and squaring it to the target at or over the 25x FL rule. Live-view AF'd and then switched right into normal AF mode and watched the focus scale as I pushed the AF button. If it moved left, it was front focusing... To the right and it was back focusing. Once I saw which way, I adjusted it to +5 or whatever and re-tested... Then I fine-adjusted from there comparing live-view with the normal AF. It was pretty clear to see with the Focal target because you get nice moire patterns on the spiral when sharp focus is achieved. Tested afterward and all looked very good. Especially my 24-105 and 70-200.

Did that with all the lenses and called it a day. I think it was a fairly good method until the software will do it for me... Results look better then before so I think I am good to go.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 23, 2012 14:39 |  #927

Invertalon wrote in post #14140435 (external link)
I spent the time to go through my lenses... I printed out the Focal target you use to calibrate via software... Set it up outside and shot wide/tele for all. All my lenses needed adjustment and the improvement was clear. I thought they was fine before, but now it is exact (or close to).

My 24-105L is +3 on both wide and tele.
135L is at like +3
70-200 II is at like +9 wide, +3 tele.
70-200 + TC is 0 on wide end, +6 on tele
135L + TC I did as well but forget the number.

I can't wait until the Focal program supports the 5D3 though, so I can see how close I got. I started by setting up on tripod and squaring it to the target at or over the 25x FL rule. Live-view AF'd and then switched right into normal AF mode and watched the focus scale as I pushed the AF button. If it moved left, it was front focusing... To the right and it was back focusing. Once I saw which way, I adjusted it to +5 or whatever and re-tested... Then I fine-adjusted from there comparing live-view with the normal AF. It was pretty clear to see with the Focal target because you get nice moire patterns on the spiral when sharp focus is achieved. Tested afterward and all looked very good. Especially my 24-105 and 70-200.

Did that with all the lenses and called it a day. I think it was a fairly good method until the software will do it for me... Results look better then before so I think I am good to go.

I've only done the first round of my usual testing, but so far it's looking very good without any adjustments, which is a first. My first round is to use a table-top chart (i.e. one that lies flat with lines going forward and backward from the one you focus on). I make sure I'm shooting in good light, with a tripod, and with the lens wide open. I defocus the lens between each shot and shoot a series of them this way to rule out the issue of lens 'lash-back' or whatever it's called.. The camera will focus on the bottom of the AF point box, so I keep that in mind when doing this kind of test. I check each shot at 100% on a computer.

My second round is a wall chart. That one could turn up some need for adjustment. I'll be doing that one sometime next week, when I'll have the time and light to do it.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 23, 2012 14:48 |  #928

Invertalon wrote in post #14140435 (external link)
I spent the time to go through my lenses... I printed out the Focal target you use to calibrate via software...

I can't wait until the Focal program supports the 5D3 though, so I can see how close I got.

What is this focal program you refer to?

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 23, 2012 14:50 |  #929

http://www.reikan.co.u​k/focal/ (external link)

It is an automatic AF adjustment program. Set up a target and hit run... It does all the work for you. Very impressive.

I already emailed the developer about the 5D3 and he plans to support it as soon as he can. He plans to have it work with the wide/tele functions as well. He is also adding more features and such.

Worth the money... :)

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

M ­ Powered
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 23, 2012 14:58 |  #930

Heres a few, sorry no ducks or flowers :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon 5D Mark III | EF 24-70 f/ 2.8 L II

http://www.keslertran.​com (external link)
http://keslertran.tumb​lr.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,313,591 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.