Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paul C Buff softboxes the way to go?

CrayonNinja
222 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 20, 2012 13:42 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Right now I'm shooting with Alienbee's and I've been renting/using friends softboxes and modifiers while I saved up some money, I'm now in the position to buy myself a decent studio set, but I'd like to know what other's experiences have been with the PCB softbox units, and whether I should go with them or just buy the $30 speedrings and use a different company.

I'm looking to buy two strip boxes, one large octa, two large softboxes, and a grid system for each one, which though PCB would cost me a total of about $860 before shipping and taxes. I'm trying to find out if there is another company that could offer more value for my money, or if this is the cheapest route to go. I also want to know if there are any quality issues with PCB products that others have experienced.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Gallery: 301 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 20, 2012 13:48 |  #2

Buff boxes are fairly competitively priced. If budget is your primary motivator, look on ebay for sellers who carry the visico brand. I have a nicely built octobox from them that was about half the cost of one from buff or other brands, it came with a speedring for the PCB.

CrayonNinja
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 20, 2012 13:50 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Budget is important in that I have other expenses and every dollar counts, but I'm not willing to put quality behind it, as in the past this has ended up costing me more. If you would vouch for the durability of visico then I'll look into their products.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Gallery: 301 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 20, 2012 13:52 |  #4

I would vouch for the box that I got. I've only tried the one and it was very solidly built. It came with a grid for under $70 if memory serves. Perhaps get one or a set of the strip boxes to try before you go all in. If a big light source is your goal make a little room in your bodget for a PLM from Buff.

CrayonNinja
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 20, 2012 13:54 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I do have a few cheaper umbrellas that I picked up a long time ago that aren't too pretty, but they do the trick. I'm making my selection on what I find I've been using the most over the past two years and the lighting setups I've been able to create to fit my style, PLM is definitely something I'm looking at for the future but it's not high on the priority list, at least until I have some sort of studio environment to call my own.

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 20, 2012 14:17 |  #6

I don't have any complaints with the Buff boxes, I've been using them for a while. They're quick to set up, but the tradeoff to that is that they don't break down as small as others do.
Their strip boxes aren't as long as I'd like them to be.

CrayonNinja
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 20, 2012 14:27 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

bdillon wrote in post #14120521 (external link)
I don't have any complaints with the Buff boxes, I've been using them for a while. They're quick to set up, but the tradeoff to that is that they don't break down as small as others do.
Their strip boxes aren't as long as I'd like them to be.

This is important to me, I might have to look somewhere else for the strip boxes then, thank you

asamimasa
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2012 20:12 |  #8

Out of curiosity, are these alternatives collapsible? I'm also debating as to whether or not i want the PCB box or something else, and the collapsing design of the PCB is looking very attractive....

Gear List here

JAE ­ Photography
108 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 23, 2012 06:28 |  #9

I love the softboxes. They fold up nice and easily and are decent quality for the price.

I wish they had bigger strip boxes though.

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1926140 (external link)
http://www.jae-photography.net/ (external link) (nsfw)

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 23, 2012 09:27 |  #10

I have two of the Alien Bee softboxes. They are excellent quality especially for the money. Compared to other softboxes they take up a lot more room when they are broken down. Chimera makes some excellent strip boxes that are huge.

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 23, 2012 13:53 |  #11

fotodiox off amazon makes a nice sturdy softbox really low priced also!

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

Stuart ­ Leslie
611 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 23, 2012 14:22 as a reply to  @ Kechar's post |  #12

I am finding the PCB softboxes very useful. I set mine up and break down for each shoot so the setup speed is important and these are very fast. I don't even take the difusers or grid off anymore, just a corner to access the release knob.

Gear: Canon 5D III, 5D and 7D | 300 f/2.8L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 85 f/1.8 | 17-55 f/2.8 [COLOR=navy]| 24-105 f/4L | 10-22 | Zeiss 35 f/2 | TS-E 24II | Alienbees
SmugMug Gallery (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)

feetdown
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 23, 2012 14:26 |  #13

I just bought 2 fotodiox 24"x36" soft boxes WITH speed rings for $62 of Amazon...Very nice quality

"just learning"
www.jsphotographydesig​n.com (external link)
5D MkIII, 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, EF 24-105mm f/4, EF 300mm f/4, 600 Ex-rt, 580EXII & a bunch of other stuff.

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 23, 2012 14:33 |  #14

Stuart Leslie wrote in post #14140397 (external link)
I am finding the PCB softboxes very useful. I set mine up and break down for each shoot so the setup speed is important and these are very fast. I don't even take the difusers or grid off anymore, just a corner to access the release knob.

Fotodiox vs. PCB - PCB 'release knob' is a lot better than the Fotodiox umbrella tension pin. However, I do really like the FD modifiers. Here are some links.

Amazon (external link) Fotodiox vendor for EZ-Pro boxes
Pro Studio Solutions (external link) vendor

While the SB's can be purchased with a compatable AB ring. It is quite a bit heavier than the OEM PCB ring of same 'deep' mount design (not really an issue, just sayin').

On the other hand, this ring from Kacey (external link) is a perfect fit that mounts an AB or Einstein flash tube more flush within the Fotodiox SB.

Jay.
268 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 23, 2012 22:36 as a reply to  @ MrScott's post |  #15

I own PCB's 47" Octabox. Does me well. Really good light.

sponsored links

12,292 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paul C Buff softboxes the way to go?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.