Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So are all the Canadian's buying their 5Diii in the USA?

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 23, 2012 04:09 |  #16

Just curious - for all the Canadians here who are buying their 5D Mk III cameras from US sellers, do you get a warranty that is valid in Canada? My understanding is that Canon Canada will not touch a Canon camera, or any other Canon equipment for that matter, that was not purchased in Canada. If this is the case, then you would have to send it back to the US for any warranty service, if and when such service is ever required. I would be interested in knowing if this is a concern/problem, or do you not worry about this sort of thing. Thanks.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

sponsored links
mjmackinnon
THREAD ­ STARTER
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 23, 2012 05:39 as a reply to  @ WesternGuy's post |  #17

I was given the understanding that Canon camera's sold in North America get a North American warranty. So right now it doesn't matter if it was a Canadian or US bought, you get the warranty wherever. Nikon on the other hand doesn't do this.

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 23, 2012 08:09 |  #18

JohnB57 wrote in post #14125215 (external link)
Hi. Don't know where in the world you are but I have to correct a couple of things here, even though I'm not an apologist for Canon.

Firstly, England is only one country within the United Kingdom - Google it for the others if you need to. All UK countries currently come under the same pricing, tax and duty policies and we pay 20% VAT (value added tax) on most items. The current price here for the 5D3 is £2,500 plus VAT = £3,000. Current B&H price is $3214.70 plus NYC sales tax. At today's exchange rate, the difference in price before sales tax/VAT is therefore 23%, not 50%. Enough of a difference, but less than half what you say. The US market is of course much larger than the UK's and as a result, both Canon and UK retailers have less competition, so can demand more for a new item such as this. Prices will soften very quickly...

Secondly, how is "1 Pound Sterling worth 50% more than the dollar"? It's just an exchange rate issue and it would seem that the dollar is actually worth - in spending power - 23% more than the pound in this case.

Appreciate the geography lesson, but I wasn't talking about the UK, I was talking about England. There was a poster from a few weeks back which stated he was from some part of England, so my reference was really from him. He also stated that the price for the 24-70mk2 was the same in Pounds as it is in US dollars. Since no one else said he was wrong, and I thought there was at least one other person from the UK, which didn't say he was wrong, I assumed the figure to be right (As memory serves me, as I didn't go back to search for the post). Having said that, if the pound was worth 50% more at the current exchange rate and one in England was paying the same number figure in pounds then, yes, in a round number would be more or less correct. But my assumption was since the 24-70mk2 was the same in England, then the 5dmk3 would be as well, and apparently as you're telling me, it's not. My fault for assuming.

Here is the math based on your calculations.
Current exchange rate is $1.58 USD vs 1 Pound. As you stated you can get the mk3 for 3000 pounds in the UK. Here in the US the mk3 goes for a retail price of 3499.

3499 USD at the current exchange rate is 2214 pounds.

If you use the formula of P/B = %/100, the real saving would be 26.2% and not 23% like you've stated. Yes, the previous post was 50%, but I was just going on what someone from England was telling me about the 24-70mk2. Still, it's a nice bit of savings if one wanted to try to take advantage of the current exchange rates.

Best Regards,

David

_
My Gear is ---> Here

bfinta
860 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 08:49 |  #19

Zigot wrote in post #14125597 (external link)
Well I am usually a Canadian business supporter but in this case, I have to buy from down south.
I understand In the past, when the US dollars was 10%-15% stronger, I wouldn't mind paying more for buying local but not with this current exchange rate.

Hehe Bfinta, maybe you would order a camera for me and I will get it from you to even save more.... lol

If you are actually serious i dont mind ordering one for you to save you some $$$... Send me a pm if you werent joking:)

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 23, 2012 11:57 |  #20

mjmackinnon wrote in post #14137862 (external link)
I was given the understanding that Canon camera's sold in North America get a North American warranty. So right now it doesn't matter if it was a Canadian or US bought, you get the warranty wherever. Nikon on the other hand doesn't do this.

Can you verify that this "understanding" that you have is based in fact. Not that I am doubting your understanding, but it would be nice to have this verified by someone from Canada who has bought a 5D Mk. III or other camera (in fact any Canon equipment) from the US and tried to have it serviced by Canon Canada. Better still, it would be nice to have Canon Canada verify this.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

jrmy
490 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 23, 2012 13:45 |  #21

mjmackinnon wrote in post #14124975 (external link)
I for one won't be giving my money to my local camera store. If they can't compete with the global market place then they will not make money from me.

Local businesses set their prices based on local economics and there's dick-all market competition in Canada.

Do you honestly believe they're under any obligation to compete with US-based retailers?

Check out my feedback here.

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 23, 2012 13:50 |  #22

Hi,

I bought mine locally from Henrys here in Ottawa. Didn't like paying the extra $600 bucks ($200 above American prices + the sales tax of $400). But I have it now and know that if there is a problem I can return it hassle free for exchange. Still $600 bucks is hard to swallow on this pricey camera.

Now do I fork out yet another $450 bucks for an extended 3 yr warranty (for a total of 4 yrs?)

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 23, 2012 13:51 as a reply to  @ jrmy's post |  #23

I'm glad I live close to the US border. :D

Heck I used to live a few blocks away from Canon Canada. But have now moved to a stone's throw to Nikon Canada. :(

Canon Canada does service Canon products bought from the US. Sent my US bought EF 17-40L just last year to have its USM motor replaced. No problem.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

mjmackinnon
THREAD ­ STARTER
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 23, 2012 14:53 |  #24

jrmy wrote in post #14140192 (external link)
Local businesses set their prices based on local economics and there's dick-all market competition in Canada.

Do you honestly believe they're under any obligation to compete with US-based retailers?

Sadly you may be right in saying 'there's dick all market competition up here'.

my other hobby is woodworking, and there is a great store called Lee Valley. it annoys me to no end that products that are made here in Ottawa Canada cost more to buy at the Canadian store than if you were a US customer and mail ordered it from Canada and had it shipped across the boarder. It would be logical that if it's made in Canada, it should cost less in Canada, but this manufacturer is reducing the price to buy American market share.

Nikon Canada takes a different stand on it. Yes they charge more here in Canada but give you something for it. You get 2 years warranty here rather than 1 in the USA. And they won't honour the warranty of any camera that is not purchased in Canada.

Tokina is the same. We get 5 years warranty vs 2 for the USA. At least there is some value in the price difference.

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 23, 2012 14:57 |  #25

I'm getting the d800. It is cheaper for me to switch brands than buy the IMO, inferior 5dmkiii. $2999.00 cdn vs 3799.

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 23, 2012 16:28 |  #26

davidc502 wrote in post #14138307 (external link)
Appreciate the geography lesson, but I wasn't talking about the UK, I was talking about England. There was a poster from a few weeks back which stated he was from some part of England, so my reference was really from him. He also stated that the price for the 24-70mk2 was the same in Pounds as it is in US dollars. Since no one else said he was wrong, and I thought there was at least one other person from the UK, which didn't say he was wrong, I assumed the figure to be right (As memory serves me, as I didn't go back to search for the post). Having said that, if the pound was worth 50% more at the current exchange rate and one in England was paying the same number figure in pounds then, yes, in a round number would be more or less correct. But my assumption was since the 24-70mk2 was the same in England, then the 5dmk3 would be as well, and apparently as you're telling me, it's not. My fault for assuming.

Here is the math based on your calculations.
Current exchange rate is $1.58 USD vs 1 Pound. As you stated you can get the mk3 for 3000 pounds in the UK. Here in the US the mk3 goes for a retail price of 3499.

3499 USD at the current exchange rate is 2214 pounds.

If you use the formula of P/B = %/100, the real saving would be 26.2% and not 23% like you've stated. Yes, the previous post was 50%, but I was just going on what someone from England was telling me about the 24-70mk2. Still, it's a nice bit of savings if one wanted to try to take advantage of the current exchange rates.

Best Regards,

David

Hi David. Thanks for the best regards and sorry to raise your blood pressure.

It's not a big deal, but far from having a pop, what I was trying to do was to exclude sales tax/VAT from the equation so we could maybe see the underlying Canon pricing policy, UK versus US.

No geography lesson intended. In fact, many Brits don't understand the distinction, but the UK is - for the moment at least - one country. Our passports say "Citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" and forgive the patriotism, but some of us are quite proud of the description and value our union.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,497 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2012 16:35 |  #27

JohnB57 wrote in post #14125215 (external link)
Current B&H price is $3214.70 plus NYC sales tax.

Are they eating sales tax for NY residents? Its listed at $3499 on their site but I'd pay no sales tax being in another state.

Persian-Rice
Goldmember
1,531 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 23, 2012 16:40 |  #28

I'm just throwing this out there....but you can easily get a bus/train ticket from Toronto to NYC for $100 or cheaper. Spend a fun day in NYC, add a few more expensive items and save yourself a lot of money. No tax, no shipping, short getaway, and nobody suspects a camera on a tourist, especially if you mail the boxes back.

~5 years ago when the price margins were really big, I'd drive there every year. It's cheaper now, but if you buy enough, it's still worth it.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 23, 2012 16:54 |  #29

mike_d wrote in post #14141263 (external link)
Are they eating sales tax for NY residents? Its listed at $3499 on their site but I'd pay no sales tax being in another state.

Not sure how it works in the US. In Europe, we generally pay sales tax appropriate to the country of origin. In the case of the UK, this is 20%.

If the B&H price excludes NYC tax, the % difference between US and UK is or course a little lower than I said.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 23, 2012 16:55 |  #30

Persian-Rice wrote in post #14141294 (external link)
I'm just throwing this out there....but you can easily get a bus/train ticket from Toronto to NYC for $100 or cheaper. Spend a fun day in NYC, add a few more expensive items and save yourself a lot of money. No tax, no shipping, short getaway, and nobody suspects a camera on a tourist, especially if you mail the boxes back.

~5 years ago when the price margins were really big, I'd drive there every year. It's cheaper now, but if you buy enough, it's still worth it.

Smuggling then?

sponsored links

5,628 views & 0 likes for this thread
So are all the Canadian's buying their 5Diii in the USA?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.