Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 14:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D Post Pictures Here (3)

this thread is locked
trulie98
875 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2012 07:29 |  #526

Marm O. Set wrote in post #14138056 (external link)
No, I mean that the red channel in my RGB histogram is clipped. By clipped I mean that the color information spikes at the extreme right side of the histogram graph; the same thing you'd see if you blew your highlights.

It seems like my camera has a problem with oversaturating reds. I can take a photo of a cyclist wearing a red kit... all the colors will be resolved normally but the red channel will clip in the more harshly lit areas.

I know I can avoid clipping the red channel by reducing the flash output but I don't want to have to stack my photos just to protect the red channel.

Anyone else have oversaturated reds with their 7D? I don't think my T2i does it... :(

What picture style are you using? Neutral? I switched my picture style to Faithful, which doesn't apply any "in-camera" adjustments for color, contrast, etc. I believe neutral picture style does at some saturation (if my memory serves me right, I don't have my camera with me right now). I prefer to adjust all of my settings in post processing. It makes for more of a drab RAW image right out of the camera but gives you more control over the colors, contrast, sharpness, etc. Try it out and see what you think.

The name's Troy.
Gear : Canon 7D, Canon 400mm f/5.6L, Canon EF 24-70 L, Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 IS L, nifty fifty, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 24mm 2.8,
Flickr (external link), My Facebook Page (external link)
Troy Marcy Photography (external link)

sponsored links
m1ket4n
689 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 23, 2012 07:39 |  #527

Actually, I do experience extra red sensitivity, and I always thought it was a property of CMOS sensors that they are more sensitive to the red end of the spectrum, with a further reputation that Canon's sensors tend to overexpose the reds.

I don't know what to do to prevent it during capture. I suppose—make sure not to overexpose, generally? In post, I suppose some channel mixing will do the trick? Or adjusting the red histogram?

Looking at your picture of the shoe, the reds still look ok; there's still enough colour variation to see it's not blown out. Are you assessing the overblown-ness from histogram or 'by eye'?

-my name is michael,
you can also call me mike.
flickr (external link) SmugMug (external link)

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 23, 2012 09:28 |  #528

trulie98 wrote in post #14138172 (external link)
What picture style are you using? Neutral? I switched my picture style to Faithful, which doesn't apply any "in-camera" adjustments for color, contrast, etc. I believe neutral picture style does at some saturation (if my memory serves me right, I don't have my camera with me right now). I prefer to adjust all of my settings in post processing. It makes for more of a drab RAW image right out of the camera but gives you more control over the colors, contrast, sharpness, etc. Try it out and see what you think.

Interesting. Yes, I always use neutral when I'm shooting raw. The style shouldn't matter if you are shooting raw because you can adjust after the capture in DPP but I will try faithful to see if that helps. If it works better and saves a few seconds of PP time then it'll be worth it.
Thanks for the insight.

m1ket4n wrote in post #14138210 (external link)
Actually, I do experience extra red sensitivity, and I always thought it was a property of CMOS sensors that they are more sensitive to the red end of the spectrum, with a further reputation that Canon's sensors tend to overexpose the reds.

I don't know what to do to prevent it during capture. I suppose—make sure not to overexpose, generally? In post, I suppose some channel mixing will do the trick? Or adjusting the red histogram?

Glad to hear i'm not the only one who's noticed this :) I don't think my shot is overexposed. If anything I'd say it is underexposed. I can't knock the red cannel down because the color information runs off the right side of the graph.

m1ket4n wrote in post #14138210 (external link)
Looking at your picture of the shoe, the reds still look ok; there's still enough colour variation to see it's not blown out. Are you assessing the overblown-ness from histogram or 'by eye'?

It was more noticeable at full size and before I knocked the saturation down. I might post an onprocessed crop tonight if I happen to think about it. The version I posted is a "rescued" version of the original.

I'll have to look into the red channel thing and see what I can figure out. Thanks for the help y'all have given me so far. :)

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 23, 2012 09:36 |  #529

I just found this here (external link):

Normally the CMOS and CCD chips used in DSLR cameras are sensitive to red light. Most DSLRs however, are designed with a built-in, low-pass, long-wavelength cutoff filter in front of the sensor. The low-pass characteristics of the filter are designed to prevent moire. The long-wavelength filtration is designed to improve color reproduction and make it more like our human visual perception.

So it sounds like M1ket4n is on to something. I'll have to do more research when I get the time.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2012 10:05 |  #530

Marm O. Set wrote in post #14138056 (external link)
No, I mean that the red channel in my RGB histogram is clipped. By clipped I mean that the color information spikes at the extreme right side of the histogram graph; the same thing you'd see if you blew your highlights.

It seems like my camera has a problem with oversaturating reds. I can take a photo of a cyclist wearing a red kit... all the colors will be resolved normally but the red channel will clip in the more harshly lit areas.

I know I can avoid clipping the red channel by reducing the flash output but I don't want to have to stack my photos just to protect the red channel.

Anyone else have oversaturated reds with their 7D? I don't think my T2i does it... :(

I've seen a fair number of posts indicating this may be an issue with Canon cameras in general.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2012 10:08 |  #531

Marm O. Set wrote in post #14138706 (external link)
Interesting. Yes, I always use neutral when I'm shooting raw. The style shouldn't matter if you are shooting raw because you can adjust after the capture in DPP but I will try faithful to see if that helps. If it works better and saves a few seconds of PP time then it'll be worth it.
Thanks for the insight.

Glad to hear i'm not the only one who's noticed this :) I don't think my shot is overexposed. If anything I'd say it is underexposed. I can't knock the red cannel down because the color information runs off the right side of the graph.

It was more noticeable at full size and before I knocked the saturation down. I might post an onprocessed crop tonight if I happen to think about it. The version I posted is a "rescued" version of the original.

I'll have to look into the red channel thing and see what I can figure out. Thanks for the help y'all have given me so far. :)

Like you, I use "neutral" and shoot RAW. I know I have "contrast" and I think I have "saturation" dialed all the way down in the neutral picture style to try to get a more accurate in-camera histogram. Where's your picture style "saturation" setting?

Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

trulie98
875 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2012 10:32 as a reply to  @ stsva's post |  #532

Yes, shooting RAW disregards the picture style still allowing you to make changes despite what contrast, saturation, sharpening, etc. that the camera has applied. Sorry if I worded that wrong earlier. But I thought the problem was seeing the red clipping in the RGB histogram in camera. I have also read what M1ket4n was alluding to about difficulties with red channels in DSLR's so I'm sure that is contributing to the problem as well.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that the picture style does affect the image you see on your LCD and histogram (which you said the reds appeared to be clipping) because the image you see on the camera LCD is a "jpeg" representation of the RAW image. If you rely on the histogram for monitoring colors, details, and highlights (which I do too), you might want to try a picture style that doesn't add any adjustments so that the LCD image and histogram are as accurate as possible. Just try it out and see if it helps with the histogram some...it can't hurt if you shot RAW anyway.

The name's Troy.
Gear : Canon 7D, Canon 400mm f/5.6L, Canon EF 24-70 L, Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 IS L, nifty fifty, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 24mm 2.8,

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 23, 2012 10:49 |  #533

stsva wrote in post #14138939 (external link)
Like you, I use "neutral" and shoot RAW. I know I have "contrast" and I think I have "saturation" dialed all the way down in the neutral picture style to try to get a more accurate in-camera histogram. Where's your picture style "saturation" setting?

My picture style settings are
0-sharpness
0-contrast
0-saturation
0-color tone

Apparently I like to maximize my processing time:) Oddly enough those are the settings my camera lists for neutral and for faithful. I wonder if I changed it at some point.

trulie98 wrote in post #14139099 (external link)
Yes, shooting RAW disregards the picture style still allowing you to make changes despite what contrast, saturation, sharpening, etc. that the camera has applied. Sorry if I worded that wrong earlier. But I thought the problem was seeing the red clipping in the RGB histogram in camera. I have also read what M1ket4n was alluding to about difficulties with red channels in DSLR's so I'm sure that is contributing to the problem as well.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that the picture style does affect the image you see on your LCD and histogram (which you said the reds appeared to be clipping) because the image you see on the camera LCD is a "jpeg" representation of the RAW image. If you rely on the histogram for monitoring colors, details, and highlights (which I do too), you might want to try a picture style that doesn't add any adjustments so that the LCD image and histogram are as accurate as possible. Just try it out and see if it helps with the histogram some...it can't hurt if you shot RAW anyway.

I'm about to step out and shoot my friend's motorcycle. I'm gonna try faithful vs. neutral and see what happens. I think you and I agree on everything (as far as I can tell) but I'm not the most eloquent poster so I might have misled you :)

trulie98
875 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2012 10:57 as a reply to  @ Marm O. Set's post |  #534

When I first read that you were going to go out and shoot your neighbor's motorcycle, I thought you were expressing frustration. :D The other day I told my friend I was going to shoot my kids this weekend and he gave me the most horrible look until he realized I meant photograph. I didn't think anything of it until I saw his look. LOL

The name's Troy.

m1ket4n
689 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 23, 2012 12:09 |  #535

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7233/7008843991_611d5d1025_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mike-tan/7008843991/  (external link)
"Green Roses" (external link) by mike.tan (external link), on Flickr

-my name is michael,
you can also call me mike.
flickr (external link) SmugMug (external link)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2012 12:51 |  #536

Marm O. Set wrote in post #14139182 (external link)
My picture style settings are
0-sharpness
0-contrast
0-saturation
0-color tone

Apparently I like to maximize my processing time:) Oddly enough those are the settings my camera lists for neutral and for faithful. I wonder if I changed it at some point.

I'm about to step out and shoot my friend's motorcycle. I'm gonna try faithful vs. neutral and see what happens. I think you and I agree on everything (as far as I can tell) but I'm not the most eloquent poster so I might have misled you :)

You might want to stick with neutral - here's what Canon says about it (from http://web.canon.jp …estyle/style/ne​utral.html (external link)): "The “Neutral“ setting is suitable for expressing subtle nuances within vivid colors, even for objects with considerable contrast, when wishing to convey delicate textures. Contrast and saturation settings are moderated, so there is less risk of overexposure and color saturation compared to other styles, resulting in a more restrained and calmer expression." Also, try dialing the contrast and saturation down to the minimum (-2?) and see if you get a more accurate RGB in-camera histogram.

Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
Image Editing OK

AHWagner
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 23, 2012 13:13 |  #537

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7133/7008202753_f71bc39376_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …_and__designs/7​008202753/  (external link)
Valerie [03.15.12] (external link) by AHWagner Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7093/6862815546_9f22403166_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …_and__designs/6​862815546/  (external link)
Valerie [03.15.12] (external link) by AHWagner Photography (external link), on Flickr

www.andrewhwagner.com (external link)
Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 23, 2012 16:48 |  #538

so neutral vs faithful does make a difference. I'll see if I can post the differeces later tonight.
Here is my favorite from the motorcycle shoot today:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7196/6863328000_5301526512_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/71540785@N02/6​863328000/  (external link)
23 March 2012 (external link) by Marm O. Set (external link), on Flickr
Canon EF-S 18-55 IS
30mm
1/250th shutter
f/9
ISO 100

I wish he hadn't worn his Run DMC shirt :rolleyes:

slickooz
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 23, 2012 18:35 |  #539

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7009807189_d783d177f9_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/70337480@N04/7​009807189/  (external link)
IMG_8486 (external link) by slickoooz (external link), on Flickr

Facebook: Gary Feng Photography (external link)

Gadget-Guy
720 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 23, 2012 19:24 as a reply to  @ slickooz's post |  #540

OK 7D with a 400mm f2.8 IS L and a 2x MKIII tc gives you this.......

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

The equipment you'll leave at home will be the equipment you'll need the most!
Murphy's Law

sponsored links

1,705,806 views & 3 likes for this thread
-= 7D Post Pictures Here (3)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.