Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why would a reputable, local camera shop have a no return policy on the 5d mkiii ???

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 18:40 |  #91

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14141909 (external link)
A "No Return" policy is BS and I wouldn't consider buying from a place that. A simple restocking fee would serve both party's interests.

I completely agree, I dont know where these people are coming from. They must have a lot more cash than me to feel the need to pay more for the same goods, just because they buy local. I know people who buy items like this tend to have more money than the average person. But its still stupid to tell me to shop a store with a no return policy, when every other store says you can return it just for not liking it.

Ever changing.

sponsored links
jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 18:45 |  #92

sandpiper wrote in post #14141962 (external link)
Taking the opportunity is abusing the system and will only lead to more stores adopting that same "no return unless faulty" policy.

Or it would eventually shut them down from losing sales to companies with more lenient policies. I know its not fair, but its the more likely scenario.

Ever changing.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 23, 2012 18:55 |  #93

jeffreynmandy wrote in post #14141993 (external link)
Or it would eventually shut them down from losing sales to companies with more lenient policies. I know its not fair, but its the more likely scenario.

But the people who are going to do that are the ones like yourself who are likely to take the camera back and lose the store money. Losing such "customers" to other stores is not going to hurt them. If it was my business, and all those who were likely to shaft me and bring them back without good reason went elsewhere to "purchase" (aka "borrow") a camera, I would consider that a win situation.

Personally, I wouldn't care about their policy. If I buy something it is because I want it and I intend to keep it unless it is faulty. I just don't care about having the ability to send a camera back 4 weeks later, simply because another store has one on sale at a discounted price. That is a crappy thing to do to a business as they will lose money. As others have said, do your research and you will get what you want, you don't need a 30 day return period for you to change your mind.

Arstine
145 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 23, 2012 19:01 |  #94

I only read through about the first 60 posts before giving up.

To the OP, your sense of entitlement and attempts to justify it are disgusting. Learn to take responsibility for your actions. It is NOT the retailer's responsibility to eat the loss just because you change your mind or order from 5 places because you are impatient. Coming on here comparing it to a big box store that does allow it is not a fair comparison, as others have stated.

Sure, you can have your opinion that it's OK to complain because some stores allow this behavior. Want to know my opinion? I think that buying something with the intent to use it and return it later is FRAUD and should be criminal. You are totally misrepresenting your intent and blatantly stealing the money that the store will lose.

Harsh? Probably. Have I earned that by dealing with people like this while working retail? Absolutely.

My camera says Canon and goes clickity clickity click.
My Flickr (external link)- (external link)Snapshots and fun pics go here.
http://www.photosbyjas​on.net (external link)

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 19:06 |  #95

sandpiper wrote in post #14142034 (external link)
But the people who are going to do that are the ones like yourself who are likely to take the camera back and lose the store money. Losing such "customers" to other stores is not going to hurt them. If it was my business, and all those who were likely to shaft me and bring them back without good reason went elsewhere to "purchase" (aka "borrow") a camera, I would consider that a win situation.

Personally, I wouldn't care about their policy. If I buy something it is because I want it and I intend to keep it unless it is faulty. I just don't care about having the ability to send a camera back 4 weeks later, simply because another store has one on sale at a discounted price. That is a crappy thing to do to a business as they will lose money. As others have said, do your research and you will get what you want, you don't need a 30 day return period for you to change your mind.

I agree and also disagree with that. I see your point. but this is all really a moot point because i know ill keep it. Ive been waiting several years on this camera. But to a lot of people like me. even though I know I'm keeping the camera, It still gives me that warm fuzzy feeling, and peace of mind that my satisfaction is guaranteed. Companies wouldn't offer it if it wasn't beneficial to the bottom line. They know the policy will generate enough sales to more than cover the cost of taking a few of them back.

Ever changing.

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 19:13 |  #96

Arstine wrote in post #14142067 (external link)
I only read through about the first 60 posts before giving up.

To the OP, your sense of entitlement and attempts to justify it are disgusting. Learn to take responsibility for your actions. It is NOT the retailer's responsibility to eat the loss just because you change your mind or order from 5 places because you are impatient. Coming on here comparing it to a big box store that does allow it is not a fair comparison, as others have stated.

Sure, you can have your opinion that it's OK to complain because some stores allow this behavior. Want to know my opinion? I think that buying something with the intent to use it and return it later is FRAUD and should be criminal. You are totally misrepresenting your intent and blatantly stealing the money that the store will lose.

Harsh? Probably. Have I earned that by dealing with people like this while working retail? Absolutely.

That's just silly. The company clearly stated they dont mind if I return it, Even all the small stores I have shopped at have similar policies. One of the few things I can think of otherwise is buying a new car. Even a lot of used dealerships are changing over to this policy, provided you dont damage it or run the miles up.

If I was as dishonest as you claim I am, the no return policy wouldn't matter one bit. I could take it back and claim its not working right even if it is.

Ever changing.

Arstine
145 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 23, 2012 20:46 |  #97

jeffreynmandy wrote in post #14142122 (external link)
If I was as dishonest as you claim I am, the no return policy wouldn't matter one bit. I could take it back and claim its not working right even if it is.

But you are dishonest. You want to use the camera from the local shop then return it when your online order comes in.

Just because some stores allow this behavior DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT! It just means they are willing to put up with people like you so they can make more sales.

I grew up in a time before all this entitlement crap. We had patience. We would never think of buying something knowing we were going to return it.

We also didn't have the internet. We did business directly with people. We knew them, knew their families. We had respect for them...which is unfortunately something SOME PEOPLE seem to be lacking now a days since they think it's perfectly acceptable to knowingly cause a store to take a loss for their convenience.

My camera says Canon and goes clickity clickity click.
My Flickr (external link)- (external link)Snapshots and fun pics go here.
http://www.photosbyjas​on.net (external link)

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 21:17 |  #98

Arstine wrote in post #14142495 (external link)
But you are dishonest. You want to use the camera from the local shop then return it when your online order comes in.

Just because some stores allow this behavior DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT! It just means they are willing to put up with people like you so they can make more sales.

I grew up in a time before all this entitlement crap. We had patience. We would never think of buying something knowing we were going to return it.

We also didn't have the internet. We did business directly with people. We knew them, knew their families. We had respect for them...which is unfortunately something SOME PEOPLE seem to be lacking now a days since they think it's perfectly acceptable to knowingly cause a store to take a loss for their convenience.

I dont know how many times Ive repeated that both cameras would arrive at the same time. that's a completely dumb statement on your part. it makes no sense for you to seem so upset over something you obviously dont know anything about. to repeat it again for those who just want to name call and disrespect without even reading the posts.

I NEVER had multiple orders. the local shop told me no they are sold, I call and order somewhere else within an hour. then somehow within that hour span the cameras that were spoken for were now available, and they call me. I ask to see who has the better return policy, and then tell them to keep it.

To say I'm dishonest and criminal over these few posts really makes me suspect of you. I think I am coming across as much more sane than you are.

Ever changing.

shutterrelease
148 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2012 21:40 as a reply to  @ jeffreynmandy's post |  #99

If you are saying that you placed an order somewhere else, then you asking for the return policy of the local store, that makes your intention a bit suspect. If you have ordered somewhere else and were happy with their return policy, with lower price and same delivery time, then you should have just said thank you to the local store and no need to start this thread. What if they said yes we will take a no questions asked return? Would you have then ordered from them? Then you will have to return one of the cameras and that would have screwed one of the sellers. You started this thread because they did not give you that chance to do that. And I think that is what everyone is trying to point out.

1D2N, 1DS2, 5DII, 5D MkIII

mpix345
Goldmember
2,853 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 23, 2012 21:43 |  #100

jeffreynmandy, it seems you have no love for this store for reasons other than the "defective only"
return policy. I get that. I've been in too many higher end car dealerships, camera shops and stereo shops that have that same vibe. But it seems you have cast yourself in a bad light with your first post, and no one has hesitated to make the worst assumptions and pile on.

I don't disagree with local store's policy. I also don't disagree with your position of buying from Abe's because of their return policy. The fact that this is a new release clouds things a bit. On a normally in stock item the logic is that you can handle it in the store and make sure it is "right for you", so you should be able to live with a "defective only" return policy. Conversely, the big online retailers provide liberal "buy and try" policies because they feel they need to in order to compete with local shops with cameras on display. I don't think it's wrong to use those policies, unless you purchased with no intent to keep the item.

With a new release you can't handle the camera in shop, though I imagine most higher end camera consumers don't need that experience as much as someone upgrading from a P&S to their first DSLR. So you decide what is best for you and make your purchase. I have no criticism about that.

It all comes back to the first post. Not really any need for it, and again, I think your feelings about the store drove that post. Regardless, enjoy the new camera!

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 21:45 |  #101

shutterrelease wrote in post #14142685 (external link)
If you are saying that you placed an order somewhere else, then you asking for the return policy of the local store, that makes your intention a bit suspect. If you have ordered somewhere else and were happy with their return policy, with lower price and same delivery time, then you should have just said thank you to the local store and no need to start this thread. What if they said yes we will take a no questions asked return? Would you have then ordered from them? Then you will have to return one of the cameras and that would have screwed one of the sellers. You started this thread because they did not give you that chance to do that. And I think that is what everyone is trying to point out.

This happened within a span of time that I would have easily been able to call the other dealer and cancel the order. My card wasn't even charged yet, and didn't know it was going to ship that day. Either way it would be only a few days apart from receiving one. I like doing business with company's that offer a satisfaction guarantee. A lot of other people must like it as well, or they wouldn't be so widely available.

I wanted to try and buy it local if possible, but there's nothing wrong with going with another seller because of a no questions asked return policy.

Ever changing.

shutterrelease
148 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2012 21:52 as a reply to  @ jeffreynmandy's post |  #102

But why cancel the other order then when you will get the same deal and same time of delivery? Why order it then with the store you say has treated you badly before? Just because they're local? Also, your title says they are a reputable store but reading through all your posts says they're nothing but. Which is it?

1D2N, 1DS2, 5DII, 5D MkIII

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,747 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2012 21:56 |  #103

This thread still going?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 22:01 |  #104

shutterrelease wrote in post #14142740 (external link)
But why cancel the other order then when you will get the same deal and same time of delivery? Why order it then with the store you say has treated you badly before? Just because they're local?

I only would have bought it, because if it was defective it would be a lot easier to return it in person. None of you has dealt with this shop. As soon as he said you can't bring it back, I knew the deal. If it was defective over something small such as a burnt pixel, I would be hassled and treated the same way you all are acting. I would have had to argue to make a return or warranty repair. I think that's uncalled for on a $3500 purchase.

I consider the shop reputable, but the help makes shopping there a bad experience. Honestly, the entire staff except for one person needs to be replaced. I've been there enough, and seen through my experiences and by seeing others.

Ever changing.

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 22:03 |  #105

fotoworx wrote in post #14142761 (external link)
This thread still going?

Yep, I can't believe how mad people are, because I feel I should be able to return a camera if I don't like it. When I chose a certain dealer specifically because they offer it.

Ever changing.

sponsored links

9,357 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why would a reputable, local camera shop have a no return policy on the 5d mkiii ???
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.