Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why would a reputable, local camera shop have a no return policy on the 5d mkiii ???

shutterrelease
148 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2012 22:10 as a reply to  @ post 14142794 |  #106

So if they offered you a similar return policy you would have ordered from them even though you have claimed that they have very poor CS and have treated you badly before? For a guy who claims to value his hard earned money so much, I think this is a big gamble.

1D2N, 1DS2, 5DII, 5D MkIII

sponsored links
Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 23, 2012 22:34 |  #107

jeffreynmandy wrote in post #14142805 (external link)
Yep, I can't believe how mad people are, because I feel I should be able to return a camera if I don't like it. ...

What is there not to like about a 5D3 :confused: (except the price) ;)

My Gear List  :p

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 22:48 |  #108

shutterrelease wrote in post #14142857 (external link)
So if they offered you a similar return policy you would have ordered from them even though you have claimed that they have very poor CS and have treated you badly before? For a guy who claims to value his hard earned money so much, I think this is a big gamble.

As I said they are reputable, the employees are just arrogant, and only speak to you if you appear to be wealthy. Like, walk in wearing an expensive looking business suit for example. I go in with a t-shirt and shorts on, but in no way would I think I look out of place in a camera shop. This is no hole in the wall mom and pop shop. It's right in a moderate size city.

Ever changing.

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 22:54 |  #109

Perfect_10 wrote in post #14142990 (external link)
What is there not to like about a 5D3 :confused: (except the price) ;)

I highly doubt there's anything to not like about it, I loved my 7d, and it kind of looks like a full frame 7d on steroids:) I tried a used 60d for about a week and couldnt get used to the few differences in the button layout. The ISO stinks compared to the 7d also. I think I'm in for a treat with the ISO, coming from a 7d.

Ever changing.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 23, 2012 23:00 |  #110

I frankly don't understand all that OP bashing. He can get a certain level of service from an online etailer. There are many good and valid reasons as to why the local store can't provide the same perks as Amazon, but this doesn't take away the fact that these perks exist out there and it's therefore not at all unreasonable to expect them. It's not the question of OP's ethics or his sense of entitlement as someone called it. The local store doesn't stand on the moral high ground, just as OP doesn't have unreasonable expectations. He's merely looking for the level of service that is not uncommon but which this store can't or won't provide. No reason to judge either side.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,748 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2012 23:03 |  #111

I want, no dammit I DEMAND to take back my half sucked lolly pop.....I have buyers remorse on the flavour I chose !

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 23, 2012 23:15 |  #112

fotoworx wrote in post #14143093 (external link)
I want, no dammit I DEMAND to take back my half sucked lolly pop.....I have buyers remorse on the flavour I chose !

Not the same thing at all.

I guess you never returned a perfectly functioning item to any store ever ? Never took back a sweater that you had second thoughts about? Never returned a Xmas gift you didn't like? Never returned an appliance that didn't quite meet your expectations? This kind of service has become a commonplace in general retail, and you wouldn't call anyone unreasonable for expecting a department store to provide a 30 days no questions asked return policy. This is not the norm in photo retail, but it's a widespread enough offering and there's nothing wrong with.OP's question,IMO.

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 23, 2012 23:16 |  #113

Amamba wrote in post #14143083 (external link)
I frankly don't understand all that OP bashing. He can get a certain level of service from an online etailer. There are many good and valid reasons as to why the local store can't provide the same perks as Amazon, but this doesn't take away the fact that these perks exist out there and it's therefore not at all unreasonable to expect them. It's not the question of OP's ethics or his sense of entitlement as someone called it. The local store doesn't stand on the moral high ground, just as OP doesn't have unreasonable expectations. He's merely looking for the level of service that is not uncommon but which this store can't or won't provide. No reason to judge either side.

I think its a wise decision to look for this policy when your buying an item you have no way of trying out first. I thinks it's unreal to drop $3500 to a seller with a no return policy on an item you can't try out first. When the only reason is you feel loyal to your local shop. Then add in if your willing to pay $300 more in tax. I then start to doubt your financial common sense. I'd have to be extremely Wealthy before I'd start feeling that charitable.

Ever changing.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,748 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2012 23:21 |  #114

Amamba wrote in post #14143150 (external link)

I guess you never returned a perfectly functioning item to any store ever ? Never took back a sweater that you had second thoughts about? Never returned a Xmas gift you didn't like? Never returned an appliance that didn't quite meet your expectations? This kind of service has become a commonplace in general retail.

A camera has a shutter count, do you want to purchase a a "new" camera body and find out that it's been owned by someone else and has a shutter count that you didn't accumulate on the camera?

Bit different than returning a sweater don't you think?

And sure....return a toaster or a deep fryer.....but only BEFORE you use it...after you use it....IMO you OWN IT.

Sheeesh what a nandy pandy world we live in.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 23, 2012 23:51 |  #115

fotoworx wrote in post #14143172 (external link)
A camera has a shutter count, do you want to purchase a a "new" camera body and find out that it's been owned by someone else and has a shutter count that you didn't accumulate on the camera?

Bit different than returning a sweater don't you think?

And sure....return a toaster or a deep fryer.....but only BEFORE you use it...after you use it....IMO you OWN IT.

I will absolutely return anything I can, if I need to, and if it is within the company's return policy. And I will prefer the company with a generous return policy, among other things. It doesn't mean that I plan to abuse it, but I do expect to be able to use it if I have to. It also depends on conditions in this particular retail market. I don't expect to be able to return a functioning car, but I am sure as hell expecting to be able to return anything I buy at the department store for any reason whatsoever as long as it's undamaged. This by the way includes any and all cameras. To the best of my knowledge, in States at least, most if not all non-specialized department stores that carry DSLRs have the same return policy on them as they have on pants. The length of return window may be different but they will take them back and refund your money. This is why I bought my previous camera at Costco - their prices were same as online, I did pay $40 more in taxes, but I knew that I could bring the camera back, exchange or return it, and not get any grief from them.

fotoworx wrote in post #14143172 (external link)
Sheeesh what a nandy pandy world we live in.

We live in the world defined by market forces. Competition is one of the main ones. Companies offer certain level of service in exchange for me bringing them my money and my business. Return policy, quality of service, quality of goods, prices, all of it makes up that level of service. There's absolutely nothing wrong for me as a customer to expect a given company to provide me the level of service that is common, or at least not unheard of, in that field. Surely nothing wrong with inquiring as to why company XXX doesn't do it while YYY and ZZZ both do.

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 23, 2012 23:51 |  #116

jeffreynmandy wrote in post #14142805 (external link)
Yep, I can't believe how mad people are, because I feel I should be able to return a camera if I don't like it. When I chose a certain dealer specifically because they offer it.

If you still think you should be able to return a camera just because "you don't like it" you're probably not on the same page with everyone else who posted in the thread.

The rest of us pay higher prices for camera gear because they have to add in an unknown factor for the cost they have to eat on people like you who return a camera for no apparent reason just because you were using the store as a rental shop. Returns are for merchandise not as described or for any reason if the item is still unopened.

Gear

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,748 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2012 23:57 |  #117

Amamba wrote in post #14143285 (external link)
I will absolutely return anything I can

I bet ....hence my lolly pop post.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 24, 2012 00:05 |  #118

fotoworx wrote in post #14143305 (external link)
I bet ....hence my lolly pop post.

The stores compete for your money. They offer you a certain package in exchange for your money. I assume you work hard for your money, just like the rest of us does. If you chose the package that includes the lolly pop and the ability to return it for whatever reason even if half eaten, good for you. If you chose to return it using this policy, good for you. If you expect to be able to return a half eaten lolly pop while this is not part of the package usually offered by vendors, you may want to adjust your expectations. In case of OP, this was not the case. (pardon my style, it's getting late and I am getting sleepy).

150 years ago, it would be unimaginable to ask your employer to pay you wages while you didn't work. Anybody expecting this would be considered, as a minimum, unreasonable and unfair. Today, paid time off is a norm. 50 years from now, it may again disappear. It all depends on market conditions, in general sense. Today, market conditions are such that most stores have some kind of return policy. As a customer you should be able to use it if you need to. It's part of the package that vendor sold you in exchange for your money. It applies to cameras, pants or lolly pops.

Coming back to the original post - OP was basically asking if it's reasonable for a local store to offer him a lesser package than what he could get from an online vendor. I don't care if the answer is "yes" or "no" but I don't think the discussion should've been around OP's "sense of entitlement".

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 24, 2012 00:11 |  #119

In short: yes.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 24, 2012 00:20 |  #120

Amamba wrote in post #14143150 (external link)

I guess you never returned a perfectly functioning item to any store ever ? Never took back a sweater that you had second thoughts about? Never returned a Xmas gift you didn't like? Never returned an appliance that didn't quite meet your expectations? This kind of service has become a commonplace in general retail, and you wouldn't call anyone unreasonable for expecting a department store to provide a 30 days no questions asked return policy. This is not the norm in photo retail, but it's a widespread enough offering and there's nothing wrong with.OP's question,IMO.

It's different with a gift, because it isn't something that you chose yourself. If I buy something for myself and it performs its intended function as advertised, then no, I won't return it because of buyer's remorse. I may have made a bad decision, but it's MY fault, not theirs, and I accept the consequences for my own actions.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links

9,361 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why would a reputable, local camera shop have a no return policy on the 5d mkiii ???
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.