Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Sep 2011 (Monday) 09:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

430EX II problems

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 05, 2011 09:06 |  #1

i was using this flash a few times and suddenly it powered off and wouldn't power on (even if the power switch was put to off then back to on) i replaced the batteries with fresh ones and still nothing but when i took the batteries out they were screaming hot but nothing is working and thoughts on what it may be?

thanks for any help in advance!

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

sponsored links
D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,870 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 05, 2011 09:26 |  #2

From the manual -

To avoid overheating and degrading the flash
head, do not fire more than 20 continuous
flashes. After 20 continuous flashes, allow a rest
time of at least 10 min.

If you fire more than 20 continuous flashes and
then fire more flashes in short intervals, the
inner overheating prevention function may be
activated to make the recycling time about 8 to
20 sec. If this occurs, allow a rest time of about
15 min. and the flash will then return to normal.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

S.n.a.f.u.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 05, 2011 09:29 |  #3

i didn't flash it more then 20 times continuous i used it maybe 7 or 8 times then it stopped and here i am almost a day later and still not working! the lcd doesn't power on the pilot light doesn't light it just does nothing but heat the batteries up really bad in the course of 30 seconds or so

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

S.n.a.f.u.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 05, 2011 11:52 |  #4

so no one has any idea what this might be? googling has turned up not much.

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2011 17:29 |  #5

Were you using lithium batteries? Lithiums have a tendency to overheat flashes. If it still does not power on a day later, there is a definite problem with the flash. It sounds like a trip to repair.

S.n.a.f.u.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 05, 2011 19:43 |  #6

i was using powerex rechargeable and i was guessing that same thing but wasn't hoping there might be some one with an easy fix.

:( oh well it will pan out in the wash!

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 05, 2011 22:21 |  #7

I prepared this weeks ago, but have finally taken some pics. It's about the 430EXII / 430EX II hot shoe / hotshoe foot.

I bought a used 430EX II from Australia using eBay. It seemed to work fine, but in use it kept resetting and losing contact with the camera. The flash could rock on the camera shoe even although the locking ring was as far around as it would go. It would not move enough to lock in place. This produced an erratic connection.
There was a major problem with the foot, and with the unit now in another country, warranty was gone. Canon New Zealand said that they would not provide Speedlite spare parts because of danger to users. (There is no access to the high-voltage circuits when the foot is removed!)

So I first ordered a replacement foot from uscamera.com
http://www.uscamera.co​m/cy2-4262.htm (external link)
and then tried repair.

The foot was much more complex than I expected. It has four sets of sliding parts in it, and these have a special lubricant on them. With mine, the lubricant had turned to a hard white grout, and the plastic sliding surfaces had etched. The whole foot was a single solid block! (I suspect that the Speedlite had been left unused in a vehicle in Perth’s very high temperatures, and the lubricant had vulcanised.)

This prevented the Speedlite from being clamped to the camera shoe. This clamping provides a firm Earth connection. Any tilting caused a loss of contact – looking at the LCD, using portrait mode, using OCF flash pointing down, etc.

The foot was slowly disassembled, with some expected breakage – an activator hook on the locking pin, and two no-rotation mouldings on the base pressure pads. And somehow I lost a small spring and one of the four pressure pads. Was I glad that a replacement was on the way! However, I cleaned and burnished all the sliding surfaces and re-assembled as best I could. The locking pin was omitted because if I was unable to withdraw it in use, it would mean a trip to Canon to remove the flash from the camera.

The flash worked fine when re-assembled - no more erratic contact. The replacement part eventually arrived and was swapped.

The foot is similar to that on the 580EX II but without the PC-sync socket. There is a great article on the 580EXII foot
https://shimworld.word​press.com …ite-580ex-ii-hotshoe-fix/ (external link)
but it stops short of the final and most critical level:

Photo of 4th level parts

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

There are four pressure pads which press the Speedlite’s metal rail until it is firmly pressed on the underside of the camera’s shoe rail. If the locking ring is not fully home and locked, the flash sits on its plastic on the top of the camera shoe rail and the flash’s metal rail hangs in space. No contact! (And no security.)

Photo of foot

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

So when there is erratic behaviour, in addition to checking proper mounting, cleaning of contacts and rails, and checking screw tightness, inspect for proper clamping of the two metal rails. Sure, Canon will know about this, but it prefers having world-wide disgruntled users over admitting design shortcomings.

Here’s a video by Randall of ShutterRockUK
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Y35smvQl2Pg (external link)

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

Kiron ­ Kid
28 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 06, 2011 09:06 |  #8

dedsen wrote in post #13055394 (external link)
Were you using lithium batteries? Lithiums have a tendency to overheat flashes. If it still does not power on a day later, there is a definite problem with the flash. It sounds like a trip to repair.

Lithium batteries do not overheat flashes. When lithium batteries become too hot, the batteries themseve's, will shut down until sufficiently cooled off. Once they cool down, they will work normally again.

Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 06, 2011 10:28 |  #9

Kiron Kid wrote in post #13058377 (external link)
Lithium batteries do not overheat flashes. When lithium batteries become too hot, the batteries themseve's, will shut down until sufficiently cooled off. Once they cool down, they will work normally again.

Kiron Kid

There are lots of threads on here that disagree with you.

NewbieXT
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 24, 2012 05:29 |  #10

Batteries getting smoking hot, no power to unit. Had that happen to a vivitar at a wedding... The hot and ground wires coming from battery compartment had melted together, causing the batteries to short.

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 24, 2012 08:11 |  #11

I was going to say to test the batteries to see if that can give you any ideas but newbie kind of already said something on the same lines. I'd look at the batteries and then consider whether the batteries may have damaged the unit itself.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

S.n.a.f.u.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 24, 2012 18:22 |  #12

It was blown fuses

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

sponsored links

4,005 views & 0 likes for this thread
430EX II problems
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.