Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Mar 2012 (Friday) 14:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark II/III Live View Sharpening?

michaeldorian
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 23, 2012 14:45 |  #1

Hi,

I apologize if this was brought up before, but I did a search and really didn't see an definitive answer. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this.

When using Live View in both the MKII and MKII zoomed in on a subject @ 10x, the images on the LCD appears perfectly sharp with high contrast. However, when you actually take the photo and zoom into the image itself (using the built in image preview in camera or in Photoshop, that same area is not quite as sharp. This is even making sure you're triggering the camera remotely and ensuring a high shutter speed of around 1/1000 on a still object.

What I'm curious about is why this is the case? Is it because the image you're viewing on the LCD is actually being artificially sharpen in live view? This is even the case when you have the picture mode set to neutral and NR is turned off.

Is this a known issue?

sponsored links
trekkiestud
109 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 23, 2012 21:35 |  #2

I might try and test this for you, i rented the 5d mark iii to compare it against my mark ii

5D Mark III Giveaway on Facebook (external link)

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 24, 2012 11:49 |  #3

michaeldorian wrote in post #14140506 (external link)
Hi,

Is it because the image you're viewing on the LCD is actually being artificially sharpen in live view?
Is this a known issue?

You make it sound as if this sharpening is bothering you? What is the downside?

Yes, I have read that the magnified Live View is sharpened a bit for viewing. LV 5-10X are most often used for manual focus (I use it a lot for that purpose) so I believe that the is the reason for the sharpening. LCDs for Video use focus peaking, where the high frequency areas are a false color for quick focus optimization. I anticipate this would be installed on stills LCDs as a manual focus feature in the years ahead.

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

Bryan ­ Conner
49 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 24, 2012 11:53 |  #4

maybe the live view is using the settings for jpegs. Try reducing the sharpening amount in your jpeg settings.

michaeldorian
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 24, 2012 12:04 |  #5

Mike K wrote in post #14145182 (external link)
You make it sound as if this sharpening is bothering you? What is the downside?

Yes, I have read that the magnified Live View is sharpened a bit for viewing. LV 5-10X are most often used for manual focus (I use it a lot for that purpose) so I believe that the is the reason for the sharpening. LCDs for Video use focus peaking, where the high frequency areas are a false color for quick focus optimization. I anticipate this would be installed on stills LCDs as a manual focus feature in the years ahead.

Not really a downside. It's just you want to know if that is the case so you can approach the image appropriate. If this is what's happening I would just like to know so that it doesn't appear to be an error on the user side.

michaeldorian
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 24, 2012 12:05 |  #6

Bryan Conner wrote in post #14145194 (external link)
maybe the live view is using the settings for jpegs. Try reducing the sharpening amount in your jpeg settings.

I'm comparing the SOOC jpg to the live view zooms. :) One explanation is the live view display is pre on-chip NR. I think even though you turn off NR, there's still some NR going.

sponsored links

1,254 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark II/III Live View Sharpening?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.