Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Mar 2012 (Friday) 22:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What was the best head you ever got?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,807 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 24, 2012 10:32 |  #31

peter_n wrote in post #14144832 (external link)
Arca-Swiss Z1. I use Slik, Markins and Linhof ballheads and the Z1 is by far the best ballhead I've ever used. .

I find it intruiging that 20 years ago the Arca B1 was the standard against which other ballheads were measured. Now the RRS and Markins units are so commonly mentioned, but the Arca Z1 is seldom mentioned...and this, in spite of the fact that the BH-40 and M10 and Z1 are priced in the same ballpark!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
JTodd
325 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 24, 2012 10:55 |  #32

This is mine and I love it but I have nothing to compare it with...

IMAGE: http://www.adorama.com/images/large/ACR1114.jpg

5D Mark II
| Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L II | Tamron 90 Macro | Sigma Macro Ring Flash | Elinchrom D-Lite 4 IT and BXRi 500 |

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 24, 2012 12:01 |  #33

Wilt wrote in post #14144878 (external link)
I find it intruiging that 20 years ago the Arca B1 was the standard against which other ballheads were measured. Now the RRS and Markins units are so commonly mentioned, but the Arca Z1 is seldom mentioned...and this, in spite of the fact that the BH-40 and M10 and Z1 are priced in the same ballpark!

I think in the case of Markins it's a POTN thing, plus Arca-Swiss are an engineering company with no web site and apparently no marketing. The Markins heads are actually copies of the Arca-Swiss B1 but without the asymmetrical ball which A-S had patented. The Markins heads have very high construction quality and excellent fit and finish and they are good, but the Q10 and Q20 just don't have the specs or the performance to match the Z1, never mind the feel and usability of it.

The RRS heads are RRS designs and perhaps the BH-55 comes closest to the Arca-Swiss Z1 in terms of the OP's "one buy, hurt the wallet once and never look back" criterion. It's a very heavy ballhead but I think the OP should take a long look at it too. Personally I find the controls on the BH-55 awkward to use and the ergonomics of a design can be almost as important as the ballhead's performance. One great advantage of my current Arca-Swiss, Linhof and Markins ballheads is that the drop slot and control knobs are all more-or-less in the same place on the three products so there's very little confusion in the heat of battle in the field. I can focus on composition and light and not even think about my support gear.

~Peter

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,807 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 24, 2012 12:08 |  #34

peter_n wrote in post #14145232 (external link)
Personally I find the controls on the BH-55 awkward to use and the ergonomics of a design can be almost as important as the ballhead's performance. One great advantage of my current Arca-Swiss, Linhof and Markins ballheads is that the drop slot and control knobs are all more-or-less in the same place on the three products so there's very little confusion in the heat of battle in the field. I can focus on composition and light and not even think about my support gear.

I have a Linhof Profi-II and the RRS BH-40, and I find that the location of the drop slot and the relative position of the ball adjustment and pan lock controls are NOT dissimilar!

OTOH, there was a version of Markins M10 which, when the drop slot was on the left, the main control knob was on the FAR side of the ballhead, invisible to direct view by the photographer. That version was discontinued, leaving a layout which seems to make more sense. Buyers of used Markins ballheads need to be aware of the fact that there are some ballheads with bad layouts.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 24, 2012 12:32 |  #35

dickson918 wrote in post #14143200 (external link)
I am looking for a better head, hopefully someone would suggest one for me that is under $60.

Easy - halfway across the river .

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 24, 2012 16:35 |  #36

Wilt wrote in post #14145270 (external link)
I have a Linhof Profi-II and the RRS BH-40, and I find that the location of the drop slot and the relative position of the ball adjustment and pan lock controls are NOT dissimilar!

Yes I shouldn't generalize, I was thinking of the BH-55 when I made that comment. I have the Linhof Profi II as well and they are ridiculously expensive now! Must be the euro against the dollar. :(

~Peter

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 24, 2012 16:46 |  #37

I have the same Markins Q20 with Markins quick release setup as shown in Julian's post above. Works great for my D700 with 24-70 f/2.8 or 70-200 f/2.8. I haven't noticed any droop issues.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 24, 2012 16:51 |  #38

rick_reno wrote in post #14143317 (external link)
No, none at all. It's rock solid. The droop drove me nuts, one evening I was shooting some beavers (animals) at a local wet lands, frame the shot, brush off the 10,000 mosquitoes off my leg/arms, head droops, frame shot again, brush the 10,000 bugs off me, repeat. Talk about a PIA. I tried two Markins, one I'd ordered and a friends, they drooped. Kirk did the same thing. I can put my 300 with gripped 5D on the RRS and it doesn't move, not at all. I'm happy.

How long of a lens were you using when you had problems with your Markins drooping Rick? My Q20 seems fine with a 70-200 f/2.8 ... but maybe that's because it's relatively light, or maybe I'm just not picky enough.

Bob

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 24, 2012 18:27 |  #39

a gal at the local camera shop told me to prevent the droop or the creep... besides getting a good decent head, you need one with a BIG ball too... lmao.. i think she was talking about the ballhead.. i think...

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,786 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 24, 2012 18:32 |  #40

Bob_A wrote in post #14146419 (external link)
How long of a lens were you using when you had problems

Is it an urban myth that it's not the length of the lens, but the way you use it?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 24, 2012 20:01 |  #41

peter_n wrote in post #14144832 (external link)
Arca-Swiss Z1. I use Slik, Markins and Linhof ballheads and the Z1 is by far the best ballhead I've ever used. It's unbelievably smooth, doesn't need to be turned tight to lock down, never droops, has a nifty indexing system to accommodate changing friction levels easily, doesn't weigh a ton, and of course that 54mm asymmetrical ball.

The only problem with it is the clamp. Get the version with the round platform (see pic below) and buy either a Wimberley screw clamp or a RRS lever clamp. You will never need another ballhead.

I actually like the lever release on the Arca Z1. Also, the control is so much better when the tension/friction is set. :)

Luxury
635 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2012 20:15 |  #42

when I get a head, I prefer to start with a big ball.

Though what my girlfriend gave me was pretty good — a link to someone selling a gitzo ballhead.

Have been pretty happy, it holds up my 5d2 and 24 TS-E nice and erect with no droop.

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 24, 2012 20:19 |  #43

Russo09 wrote in post #14142946 (external link)
I feel like this title is going to get you a few inappropriate responses =P ;-)a

Which is why I came here.

My response is 1983.

But, seriously, I do need a new one. Mine is something my wife just grabbed. A manfrotto, and my guess is the very lowest model. It is basically a mess compared to the nice gear I have tried with friends.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Polarized
127 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 21:07 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

I have the 498RC2... it's decent but I'd like something better some day. Something just doesn't sit right with me with the controls... and it's not the smoothest when trying to move the camera.

I had a HUGE droop problem at first; I'd hit the focus button and it would droop a few af frames worth but turns out it was IS. Now it droops after focusing if the telephoto is extended and pointing down

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 24, 2012 21:51 |  #45

fotoworx wrote in post #14146882 (external link)
Is it an urban myth that it's not the length of the lens, but the way you use it?

:lol:

Bob

sponsored links

13,742 views & 0 likes for this thread
What was the best head you ever got?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.