Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Best ALL PURPOSE Lens recommendation for a Noob

BensonTT
22 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 22:41 |  #1

Hey guys, I want to upgrade my cheap 18-55mm lens to something a little bit better.. Can you guys recommend a good ALL PURPOSE lens for the Canon T2I? Did a google/forum search and am just overwhelmed by how many diff lenses are out there. My budget is under $600 .. Thanks so much...

sponsored links
rehype
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 24, 2012 22:42 |  #2

Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS

Sony α7ʀIII |Tamron 35mm 1.8 |Tamron 150-600mm G2

BensonTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 22:44 |  #3

Thank you rehype for the reply.. I forgot to mentioned that I would like to stick to Canon brand lens. I dont know why but I prefer Canon only

BigSky
733 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 24, 2012 22:46 as a reply to  @ BensonTT's post |  #4

I hear the Canon EF-S 15-85 fits your bill. I've read several threads here on the forum and convinced myself that's the way to go. I just ordered one a couple of days ago; so, I don't speak from personal experience. However, there are many on here who recommend it highly.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,324 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 24, 2012 22:47 |  #5

Well what do you shoot and at what focal lengths? In what respect is your 18-55 limiting you? The point of a camera with interchangeable lenses is that there's not supposed to be one single all purpose lens.

BensonTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 22:51 |  #6

mike_d wrote in post #14148009 (external link)
Well what do you shoot and at what focal lengths? In what respect is your 18-55 limiting you? The point of a camera with interchangeable lenses is that there's not supposed to be one single all purpose lens.

Mostly taking pics of my kids, cars, scenery etc... Sorry this is my first DSLR camera so I really dont know much about lens... I have been told that the 18-55mm that I have is total crap and that I should upgrade.. LoL

blueskyoveraquatic
120 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 24, 2012 22:52 |  #7

you can check out the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (non IS)

Canon 40D / 1DM3 / 1Dx / 400mm f/2.8 II / AlienBee B400 / AlienBee 22" Beauty Dish / EF 1.4x Extender / PocketWizard Plus III
Websites: flickr (external link)

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 24, 2012 22:52 |  #8

Put some with it and get the Canon 17-55.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,324 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 24, 2012 22:53 |  #9

BensonTT wrote in post #14148033 (external link)
Mostly taking pics of my kids, cars, scenery etc... Sorry this is my first DSLR camera so I really dont know much about lens... I have been told that the 18-55mm that I have is total crap and that I should upgrade.. LoL

Are you happy with your images? How could they be better? Don't upgrade your lens just because someone says the lens is crap. Upgrade when you figure out how its limiting your photography.

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 24, 2012 22:58 |  #10

mike_d wrote in post #14148046 (external link)
Are you happy with your images? How could they be better? Don't upgrade your lens just because someone says the lens is crap. Upgrade when you figure out how its limiting your photography.

Yes, this is the key question. You can't possibly decide which lens you need unless you can identify which problem you need to solve.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

BensonTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 22:59 |  #11

mike_d wrote in post #14148046 (external link)

The 18-55mm images looks ok. I thought a better lens would make the image more sharp, crisps etc? Is this false?

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 24, 2012 23:05 |  #12

BensonTT wrote in post #14148068 (external link)
The 18-55mm images looks ok. I thought a better lens would make the image more sharp, crisps etc? Is this false?

That lens can be very sharp, especially in the center and at certain apertures. The IS on it works very well too. Its drawbacks would be build quality and the variable aperture. Maybe light transmission too, but if you're just taking casual photos, that's unlikely to be a major issue for you.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,324 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 24, 2012 23:05 |  #13

BensonTT wrote in post #14148068 (external link)

A higher quality lens will likely be capable of producing sharper images. But you could go out and spend $1000 on a new lens and come back here complaining that its "soft" when the real issue was your technique, not the lens. This is why I caution you to upgrade wisely once you know that upgrading will solve a problem. If you have some way of borrowing a lens you're interested before buying, that would be ideal. There are also online lens rental sites but they can be expensive.

BensonTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 23:08 |  #14

Ok, I think I will stick with the 18-55mm for now and fool around with it...Thanks for the advise guys... I really do appreciate it! :)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,324 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 24, 2012 23:45 |  #15

If you shoot indoors a lot, seriously think about getting a good ETTL flash you can bounce off the ceiling and/or wall. It'll vastly improve your flash shots vs. using your camera's onboard flash.

sponsored links

4,538 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Best ALL PURPOSE Lens recommendation for a Noob
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.