Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 25 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to tell if an image is over exposed

ariana123
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 25, 2012 13:12 |  #1

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i526.photobucke​t.com …/_az123__/DSC05​589652.jpg (external link)

Overexposed? Also any tips on how to make the image look better as in any effects or such like?

sponsored links
Nu2this
50 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Location: Currently in south Louisiana but getting back to Texas as soon as possible

Mar 25, 2012 14:10 |  #2

I'm not an expert but from my understanding an image, or more precisely, a part of an image, is overexposed when you lose detail that should be there. Your histogram will help but it is the printed, or published (web) image that you are concerned with. In your portrait the area between the models' right eye and ear is overexposed because it lost noticeable detail. The same with her right hand, if you look at the joint for her thumb the bottom of the hand shows the crease in her skin but you lose that when you get just a little higher. Looking at her cheekbones you will notice the subtle contours of her left cheekbone but some of that is lost on the right.
With all that said, it doesn't make it a bad image. It will get picked apart on here sometimes but you see it in magazines and ads all the time, done by high dollar professional photographers. To me this is a great image and I wouldn't change a thing. Probably about 1\3 stop less on your camera left light would have made a difference if you want "by the book" perfect.

Kevin
Canon 5D MII
Canon 24-70 2.8L, Canon 70-200 2.8L,
Canon 580 EX II

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,731 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 25, 2012 16:33 as a reply to  @ Nu2this's post |  #3

It is a bit bright on the right side of her face...looks a little soft at her eyes as well. She needs a lot more pictures taken of her.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

gdykstra
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2007

Mar 25, 2012 20:14 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #4

It's funny the embedded thumbnail image (the original color) in your exif data does not look overexposed. Post the original image and let's see what it looks like?

Model Mayhem (external link) | Website (external link) 5D Mark III|5D Mark II|TSE 17mm f/4.0 L|24-70L f/2.8|85L f/1.2 II|135L f/2.0|70-200mm f/2.8L IS II|400mm f/5.6L|100mm f/2.8 Macro|15mm f/2.8

tomme
Goldmember
1,263 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 26, 2012 05:46 as a reply to  @ gdykstra's post |  #5

Read your histogram :)

Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

arjay702
436 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 26, 2012 10:03 |  #6

tomme wrote in post #14154423 (external link)

If it's heavy right that means there is too much white...but it might be an effect you might be going for..

“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”
Dr. Seuss
If anyone is looking for someone to give away free gear, look no further :)

Gojira1976
940 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 26, 2012 10:05 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

tomme wrote in post #14154423 (external link)

That's a good method, can you share how to do this, and would you know if it is available for the canon 5D MK I? Thank you, and the OP for asking these sort of questions!

AMERICO

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 26, 2012 10:31 |  #8

It's almost like coming under a nuclear attack, the flash is bright and you can't see anything. When you overexpose, you cannot gain back ANY detail, in pitch black you can bring back SOME detail but I would not push it! Your histogram is your best friend. Check it and get familiar with the ranges that are permitted for great photographs.

Try reading this.
Histograms Explained (external link)

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

tomme
Goldmember
1,263 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 28, 2012 10:33 |  #9

Gojira1976 wrote in post #14155494 (external link)
That's a good method, can you share how to do this, and would you know if it is available for the canon 5D MK I? Thank you, and the OP for asking these sort of questions!

press the play button to view your image and then press the info button until you get the histogram.

Im not the best to explain but if you google it you will find some information :)

Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,215 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 28, 2012 10:42 |  #10

software like lightroom and photoshop, you can hold down the alt key (in windows) or option key (Mac) and adjust exposure, and it should highlight anything that's over-exposed, and you can adjust from there. either reducing exposure or using some recovery to compensate.

I'm not a expert on these softwares. I use lighroom 99% of the time as it's all I need to do minor tweaks and changes.

see attached image for an example. it's a screenshot from a video.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

sponsored links

5,135 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to tell if an image is over exposed
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.