Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 23 Mar 2012 (Friday) 07:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many of your weddings cancel per year?

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 24, 2012 22:24 |  #16

jclaveria wrote in post #14143489 (external link)
You don't have to refund her for retainer at all. You've been kind enough to give her a second chance and not have to pay another retainer.

As for the three weeks before wedding, I think the best way to deal with this is to give enough time to collect the balance, latest should be about 30 days prior to the wedding. Definitely a huge hassle to go to small claims court.

lol, I was responding to the OP; not asking for help for myself!

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 25, 2012 07:34 |  #17

I'd say about 5% cancel after booking. Along the same lines that about 2% never get back to me about the album proof (I guess that is post wedding separation).

Peter

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 25, 2012 08:36 |  #18

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #14149131 (external link)
Along the same lines that about 2% never get back to me about the album proof (I guess that is post wedding separation).

This is a real PITA for me. I've got a few $1k+ album payments sitting for 1-2 years. I've done all the follow-up that I care to do. I know one couple is still together and I think the other one is, too. I just hate the open expense hanging over me. I no longer do album payments this way, but if I did, I'd write it into my contract that they expire at some point.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 25, 2012 09:20 |  #19

Peacefield wrote in post #14149280 (external link)
This is a real PITA for me. I've got a few $1k+ album payments sitting for 1-2 years. I've done all the follow-up that I care to do. I know one couple is still together and I think the other one is, too. I just hate the open expense hanging over me. I no longer do album payments this way, but if I did, I'd write it into my contract that they expire at some point.

I'm not too fussed to be honest. The packages include an album so if they don't come back to me I'm not too bothered as it is money in the bank for me in the mean time and if they never come back I've made a little extra.

Peter

tim
Light Bringer
50,920 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 25, 2012 16:48 |  #20

I find about 2-4% of wedding cancel, that's sometimes none per year, sometimes two. Most ask for their retainer back, but except for exceptional circumstances they don't get it. That's why it's called a retainer, not a deposit.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 25, 2012 17:11 |  #21

Peacefield wrote in post #14149280 (external link)

I have one hanging over my head right now too. I've since put an expiration in the contract.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 25, 2012 18:07 |  #22

So far 1 in 25 cancel, but that's those who as for me to send them the paperwork. Occasionally I don't even get that sent back.

Chris Giles Photography

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 25, 2012 18:33 |  #23

Only ever had one cancel on me. Just lucky though.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

avangardphoto
32 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 25, 2012 21:14 |  #24

I shot 45 last year and had 2 cancellation. They lost their deposit and they were OK with that.

Avangard Photography | Toronto Wedding Photography (external link)

jkobel
51 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 27, 2012 21:28 |  #25

never had one cancel but this thread gives me some headaches to contemplate. good luck.

Jeff Kobel Photography (external link)
Gear List: 5D2 x 2, 24-70mm 2.8L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT x 2

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,042 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 27, 2012 21:51 |  #26

In retrospect, I wish I'd cancelled both of my weddings.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 27, 2012 22:26 |  #27

S.Horton wrote in post #14166098 (external link)

Me too... although the first one got me interested in photography and the second was the reason I ended up staying in Australia... so on second thoughts maybe not.

Peter

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,042 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 28, 2012 06:30 |  #28

True. Consequences can be very positive. And I think that's your own personality surviving an earthquake.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 28, 2012 14:57 |  #29

S.Horton wrote in post #14166098 (external link)

i broke one off with a kiwi and it was the best thing that ever happened.
well worth losing those deposits! happily married now : )

as for the OP, I've only had 1 booked wedding cancel. I've only been doing this for a few years though.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

ieatstars
Goldmember
3,283 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 29, 2012 20:23 |  #30

PhotoMatte wrote in post #14143165 (external link)
I had a client who hired me last May, then canceled last September. I kept her retainer, as per my contract. She called me back in November, asking if she could re-hire me and use the existing retainer for a different date. This was a first for me, so I said sure. Just this past January, she canceled again ...and wanted to know if I'd refund her money!
My contract states that any cancellation within 6 months of the wedding date results in complete liability for the entire contracted amount (excluding album credits), and the retainer is always non-refundable (always call it a retainer; never call it a deposit). There was one couple last year who canceled three weeks before their wedding, due to a breakup. I was expecting to have to go to court to collect my remaining balance but they sent me a check right away.

Good lord..!

To the OP -- I can't believe you've had so many, and it's only March. Wishing you (and the love/angry birds) a better rest of 2012!

flickr (external link)
Be my fan on F a c e b o o k! (external link) :D

sponsored links

3,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many of your weddings cancel per year?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.