Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 19:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon 5D Mark III Pre Order Shipping & Order Status

smo84
63 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 26, 2012 08:51 as a reply to  @ post 14153926 |  #121

Well guys - I have some sad, sad news - Here is my chat transcript from amazon (rep Bianca and her manager) - it's worth the read - trust me.

Key points are that if you live close to a fulfillment center, you'll be getting your camera first. It does not matter when you placed your camera order. They say its not to save on shipping, but to get the item to those closest to fulfillment centers first. You be the judge.... but what a crock of BS!!! Full transcript is long, i'll highlight the good parts

The whole start of this convo she was telling me that it was not released and that canon is not selling it... When i sent her the link to the canon site, she insisted it was a diff camera until i gave her the item ##'s that matched my order. VERY frustrating conversation, but here's the part that you all should care about.

Me:I understand that - bianca - canon is selling them from their website - the fact amazon doesn't have them yet is not the consumers problem. Others have them FROM amazon and other retailers.
all i am asking for is a little clarity- can you communicate that to your managers? keeping your customers informed is a LARGE part of the purchasing process for pre-orders. and amazon FAILED terribly at this
Bianca:Seen that your friend has received this item from Amazon, do you perhaps have an order number for me please, so that we can have a look at it for you?
Me:and the fact you cant even give an estimated shipping time frame "because it's not released yet" is POOR
yes- let me see if he's at his desk
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
he's not at his desk
but thats his name if you want to look at his orders
he also posted on your forums
and to boot- he ordered AFTER me
Bianca:Thank you.
I understand your frustration, I spoke to my manager. One of the reasons that your friend received it, is because his was shipped to San Francisco, CA. Yours will be shipped to HOBOKEN, NJ. However, my manager will be escalating this issue to the correct department and we will contact you back within 24 hours. If that is okay with you.
Me:You do see my point now Bianca? It has been released, and i think its a distribution error on Amazon's part that they are shipping CLOSEST to their centers first
he ordered AFTER me...so it's certainly NOT fulfilled in the order they are placed
Bianca:It was ordered the same day
Me:yes, but time of day was after me
Why did it matter that he's located in san francisco and i am in hoboken NJ?
Bianca:The Fulfillment Center his item was sent from is in his area
Me:why does that matter though? that means its certainly NOT fulfilled in the order they were placed - am i correct in stating that?
Bianca:There are fulfillment centers all around the US, the use the one closes to the shipping address
Me:and that's so amazon can save on shipping costs
at my expense when i TRUSTED you guys to get me the camera in the order that the orders were placed
Bianca:It's not so that Amazon can save on shipping cost, it's so that we can get our items as soon as possible to them. It makes senses, instead of having one in the whole of USA!
Me:how does it make sense to me?
because i don't have my item that i purchased BEFORE him?
Bianca - amazon screwed this one up. its ok to admit- i just want to make sure it doesn't happen again or you WILL lose my business forever
Bianca:Is there anything else I can help you with? You will be getting your item, as I said before.

MyFlickr (external link)
Smonice is my bro

sponsored links
jeffreynmandy
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 09:02 as a reply to  @ post 14153635 |  #122

I didn't realize how lucky I am, I ordered from abes of Maine on the 22nd around 2pm. I already have mine. I never pre ordered. I guess it might have slipped through the cracks. When I ordered, it said arriving in 3 days, now it says preorder only on the website. They did send me a taken apart kit, but I don't care. That must be how I got one, because the kits were the only thing in stock at the time.

Ever changing.

smcintosh
67 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 26, 2012 09:10 as a reply to  @ smo84's post |  #123

Since the cameras arrived on the west coast doesn't it make sense that those in CA got them first? Nowhere does it state that Amazon is fulfilling all the orders in CA prior to shipping any of them east. I'm guessing they are shipping them east now - perhaps there is a delay as Amazon has to double-distribute (get's delivery from Canon then has to process and ship them themselves). It takes a few days to truck across the US.

Patience is a virtue....

5D IV | 40D | 16-35 f4 IS L | 35L | 50L| 85L II| 135L | 70-200 f2.8 IS II L | 400 5.6 L | MP-E 65 | 100 2.8 Macro

smo84
63 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 26, 2012 09:44 |  #124

smcintosh wrote in post #14155182 (external link)
Since the cameras arrived on the west coast doesn't it make sense that those in CA got them first? Nowhere does it state that Amazon is fulfilling all the orders in CA prior to shipping any of them east. I'm guessing they are shipping them east now - perhaps there is a delay as Amazon has to double-distribute (get's delivery from Canon then has to process and ship them themselves). It takes a few days to truck across the US.

Patience is a virtue....

I agree with you for the most part. I would just like to be informed from the retailer as to the status of my purchase. That's not much to ask for. Amazon has stated they will fulfill them in the order they were placed, which is NOT the case since its based on where you are located vs the fulfillment center.

MyFlickr (external link)
Smonice is my bro

Lani ­ Kai
"blissfully unaware"
2,132 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 26, 2012 11:11 |  #125

Lani Kai wrote in post #14151835 (external link)
March 2 AM order from Amazon, still no shipment notification.

Shipped this morning; estimated delivery is 3/28.
I love when stuff comes from their warehouse in Nevada; it arrives in a couple days even with the free Super Saver shipping.

SmugMug | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/kohei.photo"]F​acebook | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/KoheiNakamura"]Twit​ter | [URL="http://gplus.to/​koheinakamura"]Google+ | [URL="http://500px.com​/KoheiNakamura"]500pxexternal link Equipment list | Colorburnexternal link
Founder, Canon Digital Photographyexternal link group on Facebook

ears
552 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 26, 2012 11:44 |  #126

My Status still shows "shipping soon" ordered 3/2 AM and I live in southern california.

5d MkIII / 6D SOLD:cry:/ 50mm 1.2L II / 24-70 2.8L Mark II Sold:cry: / Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II SOLD!:(

FoxPhoto
96 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 26, 2012 12:11 |  #127

I placed my order on Saturday afternoon at Crutchfield and just got shipping notice.
Canceled the Amazon order.

5dIII, Canon 7D Gripped, 20D
70-200
L 2.8 IS MK II, 24-70L 2.8, EF-S 10-22mm, 50mm 1.8, (2) GoPro 1080p, (4) AB 800's... and an assortment of light modifiers

emurakami
31 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 26, 2012 12:11 as a reply to  @ ears's post |  #128

I just got my shipping notice :-D. Order placed on the 2nd around 4:30 pacific (not that the time seems to matter much).

5D III | 7D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 12:14 |  #129

ears wrote in post #14156041 (external link)
My Status still shows "shipping soon" ordered 3/2 AM and I live in southern california.

I am wondering if "shipping soon" status change is just a way of preventing massive orders cancellation.

emurakami
31 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 26, 2012 12:21 |  #130

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #14156215 (external link)
I am wondering if "shipping soon" status change is just a way of preventing massive orders cancellation.

I don't think so. My status changed to "shipping soon" on Saturday around the same time my credit card was pre-authorized and it shipped a few minutes ago. My guess is shipping soon means a DC has been assigned, inventory has been allocated and the order has been released to the DC for processing so they don't allow them to be cancelled mid process.

zyndurai
808 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 26, 2012 12:28 |  #131

The amazon distribution center is 2 miles from me in PHX. It's huge! I still do not have a camera that i ordered 3/2.

My flickr (external link)

emurakami
31 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 26, 2012 12:32 |  #132

zyndurai wrote in post #14156308 (external link)
The amazon distribution center is 2 miles from me in PHX. It's huge! I still do not have a camera that i ordered 3/2.

Maybe you can just knock on their door and ask for it. Bring some cupcakes or something.

ears
552 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 26, 2012 13:31 |  #133

Well it looks like my camera, body only, has finaly shipped. Ordered 3/2 AM and I live is southern California. Good luck everyone!

5d MkIII / 6D SOLD:cry:/ 50mm 1.2L II / 24-70 2.8L Mark II Sold:cry: / Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II SOLD!:(

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,187 posts
Gallery: 201 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 26, 2012 13:45 as a reply to  @ ears's post |  #134

Woo Hoo...my status finally changed for the first time to:

We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date.

Shipping Soon

...and, there is now a charge pending on my card. Maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel after all.

Of course, on the order page for the camera, it still says:

This item has not yet been released

:confused:

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

miniphotog
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 26, 2012 14:08 |  #135

I know I could ask Amazon this, but I thought I'd ask here for some real world thoughts.

I pre-ordered the 5Dmkiii and the D800. I had the expectation that the D800 would come first because Amazon gave me the delivery date of 3/23 and it said "will be notified soon" for the 5dMkiii. That's what I wanted as I was leaning on canceling the Canon. But, the opposite happened. I received notice on the delivery date that the D800 was delayed and the Canon shipped to me without advance notice.

So, with me still really on the fence about the Canon, what is Amazons return policy on cameras? Should I give it a try and possibly keep the Canon or will Amazon not take it back? I'm about 70% on keeping it, just not sure. Should I just try and sell it on the secondary market or just return it unopened?

Thoughts?

I was really hoping I would have had the D800 weeks before the Canon shipped and that was what was supposed to happen....

sponsored links

49,178 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon 5D Mark III Pre Order Shipping & Order Status
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.