Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Mar 2012 (Monday) 12:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First L series lens

Miladymimi
121 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 26, 2012 12:31 |  #1

I have a query and I'm sure it's probably been asked before, but please bear with me. I am ordering my first L series lens. (I'm excited like a 4 year old at Christmas) I've noticed the lens I see consistently, when people list their equipment, is the 70-200 f2.8. You probably now know my question. On Amazon the 2.8 without IS is about 1350., with IS is about 2300. Is the IS worth that much extra? Unfortunately, I still haven't found that elusive money tree, so I'd like the dollars to count. That extra 950 could go for more "camera stuff". Don't mean to sound chincy, but that's a lot of money. I've churned this around in my brain for weeks now and keep going back and forth. Currently the non IS is in my shopping cart, but I'm trying to make sure. After all, I'm female, that means I can change my mind and ask for directions. :) Thanks in advance for any input, it is most appreciated.

sponsored links
bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 26, 2012 12:35 |  #2

The difference in price is not just for the IS. The IS II version of the lens also has superior optics. It is really one of the best zoom lenses in existence.

Personally I find the IS immensely useful and combined with the outstanding optical performance the IS II lens has definitely been worth it for me. As for whether it would be worth it for you...

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 26, 2012 12:36 |  #3

Miladymimi wrote in post #14156334 (external link)
...After all, I'm female, that means I can change my mind and ask for directions. :)...

LMAO!

Regarding your query, I suppose it all depends on what you'll be using the lens for the most. If it's action/sports, then I would say the extra $950 for IS will be worth it since you won't have time to set up a tripod for those kind of shots.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 26, 2012 12:39 |  #4

AvailableLight wrote in post #14156372 (external link)
Regarding your query, I suppose it all depends on what you'll be using the lens for the most. If it's action/sports, then I would say the extra $950 for IS will be worth it since you won't have time to set up a tripod for those kind of shots.

IS doesn't buy you any extra shutter speed to stop action. Unless the OP plans on doing a lot of handheld panning shots I would say the non-IS version would be a much smarter buy if action/sports shooting is the primary requirement.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 26, 2012 12:41 |  #5

You may want to try the 70-200 f4 IS, for the money it's super sharp, lightweight and you'll save some cash. What will you be using the lens for?

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,175 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 26, 2012 12:43 |  #6

What purpose(s) are you buying the lens for? Have you found that the 70-200 range is something that you're lacking in your current gear? Or are you just buying an 'L' lens to have an 'L' lens?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 26, 2012 12:44 |  #7

What type of shooting do you intend to do?

Gear List

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 26, 2012 12:44 |  #8

If you can afford the price and weight of this beast, the IS mk 2 version is that much better optically. After using my friend's but combined with my inability to find said money tree and aversion to pumping iron, I chose the 70-200 f4 IS instead. :)

Photography is the art of exclusion

rwhardy
404 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 26, 2012 12:50 |  #9

i have the first is version of the f/2.8 and i have the non is version of the f/4. i shoot 95 percent outdoors and hand held. the f/4 is ridiculously sharp but the keeper ratio isn't quite as good. unless you are shooting low light i'd seriously consider an f/4 non is if i was being budget minded. if i shot from a tripod more i'm pretty sure that lens would never leave my camera.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 26, 2012 13:58 |  #10

there's also the sigma 70-200f2.8 OS lens to consider...it's not an L but it's priced the same as the canon non IS version...gives you OS and is said to be a really good lens

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 26, 2012 14:37 |  #11

The IS mark II is going to be sharper then the non-IS. Different optical design and IS is what makes it so much more expensive.

As Dre said also check out the sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS. It is an amazing lens. Not as sharp as the Canon mark II wide open but a little better then the non-IS and IS mark I.

Also if you dont need the extra stop then the canon 70-200 f4 IS is another amazing lens. Sharp wide open and quite a bit lighter then the f2.8 versions.

Miladymimi
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 26, 2012 14:37 |  #12

Im sorry I didn't put this in the original post
I have the 7d with the kit lens and a 50mmF1.8. I primarily take pics of my grandchildren and wildlife/nature. The fastest thing I'll be shooting, is a bird. I'm looking for a good all around lens, i know famous last words, but good quality that ill use for a long time. Thanks again for the kind feedback

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 26, 2012 14:43 |  #13

Miladymimi wrote in post #14157061 (external link)
Im sorry I didn't put this in the original post
I have the 7d with the kit lens and a 50mmF1.8. I primarily take pics of my grandchildren and wildlife/nature. The fastest thing I'll be shooting, is a bird. I'm looking for a good all around lens, i know famous last words, but good quality that ill use for a long time. Thanks again for the kind feedback

I find 200mm a bit short for wildlife (depending on how close you can get without spooking them). 70-200mm will put you a little ways away from the grandkids but thats great for candid shots. If you shoot in low light the extra stop of an f2.8 lens will be useful. If you don't then it may not be as useful.

If a 70-200mm lens is even right for you I dont know. Each person has their own needs and a great set up for one person may be a completely horrid set up for another

Though If you do shoot in low light a lot with the grandkids then a flash will probably be a better choice then a new lens

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 26, 2012 14:50 |  #14

bpark42 wrote in post #14156386 (external link)
AvailableLight wrote in post #14156372 (external link)

IS doesn't buy you any extra shutter speed to stop action. Unless the OP plans on doing a lot of handheld panning shots I would say the non-IS version would be a much smarter buy if action/sports shooting is the primary requirement.

My thoughts exactly. I thought AvailableLight had it completey backwards.
For sports, you pretty much need a really fast shutter speed to freeze the action anyway -- so the IS won't buy you much there.

I bought the f/2.8 because my kids are involved in indoor sports and I wanted the extra stop. My hard choice was do I get the reasonably priced f/2.8 w/out IS or go with the very expensive II with IS. I choose the II more for the IQ than the IS, but I wanted IS too (though not for sports). The IS on the II is so good, I have taken 200mm handheld shots at 1/30 (which is not recommended) with good results.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

coolhotwaves
176 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 26, 2012 15:07 |  #15

I don't own the lens, but I have used it on occasion. In my opinion, the IS is almost necessary on a lens this heavy with this sort of reach. At 200mm a little hand shake is a huge hand shake image-wise.

sponsored links

3,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
First L series lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.