Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 26 Mar 2012 (Monday) 14:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Desktop vs Laptop, if Laptop which one?

mlech
305 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 26, 2012 14:19 |  #1

Recently my desktop got a virus and it needs to be rebooted.

I'm thinking of just getting the computer back to new format and sell it, and possibley get a laptop.

Why do you prefer one over the other? I know with a desktop you can get more performance for less of the price, but then again a latop is much more flexible.

If I were to be using it at my home, I'd have an external keyboad and mouse hooked up, also some speakers. But I can always take the computer other places that I wish.

I'm thinking of spending around $1200 or less.
I'm just looking for something that can easily run big problems and handle HD video editing, rendering, big photo files, etc.

I was also looking at those laptops with 17" screen, and 1980x1080 resolution option.
Most of these around my price range also have about 8gb of DDR3 ram, around 1TB hard drive, and Intel Core i7.

FACEBOOK PAGE (external link)
FLICKR (external link)

sponsored links
nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 18:13 |  #2

I like having both. I like to have a powerful desktop for RAW processing, encoding video, storage, being able to add a hard drive for 100 bucks any time, etc. My desktops are "extreme" I built them myself. I have Core i7 CPUs, SSDs, 8GB memory, and cases that I can pop open and slip a new drive into any time if i want the storage. I think it's nice to have a good desktop.

With all that said, I probably use my $600 laptop as much or more. I justified buying it for convenience and it's been great. It's cheap but I can shoot tethered with Canon software, I can unload memory cards when I go out to take pictures.

I don't know what kind of hardware you have but your virus can be easily removed. Do a clean install of Windows of needed and fix it up, then get a decent laptop. You can do all that with 1200 easily. The you would have both a desktop and laptop. You might have to do some work yourself, but there are videos on how to do anything with a computer. I have a video on how to do almost anything with a desktop on YT.

All the best. Good luck

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 26, 2012 18:34 |  #3

Personally I go desktop all day, but I have the space for it, and I am using 3 monitors. When my fiance moves in with her kids I will have to give up my space so I will have to sell it and get a laptop, it will be a sad sad day.

DelAllenGreenwood
435 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 26, 2012 18:38 |  #4

nate42nd wrote in post #14158294 (external link)
I like having both. I like to have a powerful desktop for RAW processing, encoding video, storage, being able to add a hard drive for 100 bucks any time, etc. My desktops are "extreme" I built them myself. I have Core i7 CPUs, SSDs, 8GB memory, and cases that I can pop open and slip a new drive into any time if i want the storage. I think it's nice to have a good desktop.

With all that said, I probably use my $600 laptop as much or more. I justified buying it for convenience and it's been great. It's cheap but I can shoot tethered with Canon software, I can unload memory cards when I go out to take pictures.

All the best. Good luck

I do the same thing although my desktop is not as souped up!

My Pictures @ flickr (external link)

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 18:39 |  #5

Daship wrote in post #14158410 (external link)
Personally I go desktop all day, but I have the space for it, and I am using 3 monitors. When my fiance moves in with her kids I will have to give up my space so I will have to sell it and get a laptop, it will be a sad sad day.

I would never want to process RAW images on a laptop. I use 2 monitors myself and would find it tough to work on a laptop, with no mouse. I guess if you don't do much editing or encoding a laptop might be okay if it had good hardware.

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,070 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 18:57 |  #6

I process RAW on my laptop all the time without any issues but I do use a mouse. It's an ASUS G53 with an i7, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD boot drive, 750GB 7200rpm, BD/DVD RW, nvidia GTX460m 1.5gb video card and 1920x1080p 15.4" screen.

ASUS also makes a G73/G74 series which has the 17.3" screen.

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 19:05 |  #7

DBNissan wrote in post #14158517 (external link)
I process RAW on my laptop all the time without any issues but I do use a mouse. It's an ASUS G53 with an i7, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD boot drive, 750GB 7200rpm, BD/DVD RW, nvidia GTX460m 1.5gb video card and 1920x1080p 15.4" screen.

ASUS also makes a G73/G74 series which has the 17.3" screen.

Nice. With specs like that it would work fine. For about $1200-1500 that kind of laptop can work. For the same price i can build a wild desktop with more storage and better video.

120GB SSD boot drive, 750GB 7200rpm

How do you have an SSD and a 750GB 7200RPM hard drive in a laptop. There is only room for one 2.5 inch drive or SSD in most laptops.

tim
Light Bringer
50,994 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 26, 2012 19:10 |  #8

Desktop: faster, cheaper, good screens.
Laptop: portable, expensive, screens not so good.

Conclusion: laptop only if portability or space is a major concern.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mlech
THREAD ­ STARTER
305 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 26, 2012 19:12 as a reply to  @ DBNissan's post |  #9

I was thinking about getting this one, seems pretty cheap compared to everything else. It just came out on the market. Was checking this out today at a local store and the sales guy recommend it.

Only thing is the hard drive is 500gb 5400rpm. I still think this is fine? I use an external hard drive anyways for keeping all my files.

http://www.futureshop.​ca …17rn-5059bk/10191850.aspx (external link)

FLICKR (external link)

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 19:19 |  #10

mlech wrote in post #14158612 (external link)
I was thinking about getting this one, seems pretty cheap compared to everything else. It just came out on the market. Was checking this out today at a local store and the sales guy recommend it.

Only thing is the hard drive is 500gb 5400rpm. I still think this is fine? I use an external hard drive anyways for keeping all my files.

http://www.futureshop.​ca …17rn-5059bk/10191850.aspx (external link)

Looks good. I don't like the 5400RPM drive. It's almost like it was put together for people who want to buy it for a good price....then replace the cheap drive with an SSD.....which you could do easily. It's what I would do.....then you would have a back up "regular" drive in case your SSD failed.

mlech
THREAD ­ STARTER
305 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 26, 2012 19:23 |  #11

What are the benefits If I were to jump over to a 7200rpm drive though? in what aspects would it really be better. If I had to change it I'd do it from the beginning, since I have a lot of problems and would hate to have to reinstall them when switching the drive.

FLICKR (external link)

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,070 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 19:28 |  #12

nate42nd wrote in post #14158562 (external link)
Nice. With specs like that it would work fine. For about $1200-1500 that kind of laptop can work. For the same price i can build a wild desktop with more storage and better video.

How do you have an SSD and a 750GB 7200RPM hard drive in a laptop. There is only room for one 2.5 inch drive or SSD in most laptops.

ASUS G-Series laptops have provisions for two HDD/SSD + Optical or you can delete the optical and have 3 HDD/SSD in any combo. I went with the 750BG 7200rpm HDD for storage and transfer speed for when I'm out on a shoot. I can transfer files from the CF cards using a USB 3.0 reader plugged into the USB 3.0 port on the laptop. At home, I have a 4TB NAS drive on a Gigabit router that I transfer completed projects to either wirelessly (both laptop and router are wireless N300) or ethernet cable.

Now, my laptop was custom built to order and is above the OP's budget but I have seen the G73 with standard specs which include the i7 processor and 8GB ram for less than $1200.

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 19:29 |  #13

Oh there would very little advantage going from a 5400 to 7200 RPM drive. It would be an SSD (solid state drive) that would be the only thing to think about.

A 5400 RPM drive would work fine...just slower. A 7200 RPM drive woudl not be worth upgrading a new laptop. An SSD woudl though....and you can get one for 250-300. A good one. It's also easier than most people think to switch drives. I can do it an a new laptop in 20 minutes.

Now, my laptop was custom built to order and is above the OP's budget but I have seen the G73 with standard specs which include the i7 processor and 8GB ram for less than $1200.

Very good. Sounds like a great machine.

mlech
THREAD ­ STARTER
305 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 26, 2012 22:27 |  #14

SSD drive, I have heard much about these... but have not looked much into it.
Is this an interchangeable drive that an be moved computer to computer or something?

Anyways I bought the laptop from the link I posted tonight. I have 2 weeks to decide on it, but so far loving it. Just need to download my programs and see how it does with some intense programs.

FLICKR (external link)

Logicus
787 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 26, 2012 22:39 |  #15

I recently picked up a Toshiba Satellite with AMD A6 Quad Core, switched out the factory 4GB memory for 8GB of faster memory, Windows 7 64bit, and I use an HP 25" LED monitor. It has no problem with the RAW files from my 5D2. It might take a minute or so either stitching together 20 or so shots for a pano or putting together 12 bracketted shots for an HDR photo, but otherwise, no issues. The laptop and memory were less than $700 and the monitor was about $225. I couldn't have gotten away with paying that little for a comparable desktop, and I like having two screens.

My Gear List
My flickr (external link)
My flickr photos organized by Lens Used (external link)

sponsored links

2,695 views & 0 likes for this thread
Desktop vs Laptop, if Laptop which one?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.