Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Mar 2012 (Monday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pulling my hair out.....

jamie_s_72
78 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 26, 2012 21:42 |  #1

I've been shooting my 24-105L for about a month now and I really like it, as long as I don't view the pictures on my computer afterward. The pics on the camera look very vibrant but when I upload them they seem very saturated. I'm shooting a T3I on AV. I am at a loss here. Any advice would be great

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i705.photobucke​t.com …w59/jamies72/IM​G_4957.jpg (external link)

http://i705.photobucke​t.com …w59/jamies72/IM​G_4980.jpg (external link)

http://i705.photobucke​t.com …w59/jamies72/IM​G_4978.jpg (external link)

http://i705.photobucke​t.com …w59/jamies72/IM​G_4961.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 26, 2012 22:06 |  #2

Well, you can always lower the saturation in-camera. In the "Picture Styles" menu.

Kel
Gear

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 26, 2012 22:17 as a reply to  @ 1Tanker's post |  #3

What are your picture style settings?

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

jamie_s_72
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 26, 2012 22:26 |  #4

pbelarge wrote in post #14159853 (external link)
What are your picture style settings?

It's set to auto, should I change it?

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 26, 2012 23:10 |  #5

u should set it at Av mode. and since you are shooting your girls.. set it to AiServo. that's what i usually do when i'm out shooting my girls :) i had that lens for about 2wks and it was tack sharp at f4. so it should be sharper.

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

BarrySpug
97 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 26, 2012 23:15 |  #6

jamie_s_72 wrote in post #14159923 (external link)
It's set to auto

There's your mistake right there...

Seriously though - if you're shooting RAW it makes no difference as those settings are only applied to JPG's. If you're shooting RAW those settings aren't applied to the shots unless you specify it in DPP I believe. Lightroom doesn't apply them at all regardless.

If you are shooting JPG then I suggest you set it to 0 or 'natural' or whatever the middle of the road setting is and see if you like those results more. As with everything - experiment to find what you like best. There are no right or wrong setting with Picture Styles. It's whatever you prefer.

Canon 7D gripped | EF-S 18-135mm | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II | Steady hand | Fingers Crossed

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 27, 2012 00:13 |  #7

Check colorspace. If set to Adobe, then switch to sRGB.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 27, 2012 04:49 as a reply to  @ CheshireCat's post |  #8

They look fine and quite well saturated on my screen.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Ukuleleman
580 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 27, 2012 04:56 |  #9

yogestee wrote in post #14161062 (external link)
They look fine and quite well saturated on my screen.

I agree the baby's skin tones look perfectly natural to me, of course if the pics look ok in camera it could be your monitor settings that you don't like.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going to
My Gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2701981&pos​tcount=461
http://ukuleleman.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 27, 2012 05:34 |  #10

If shooting Raw then Lightroom and DPP will still understand the picture style you selected in camera if the camera model is understood. That's what the "as shot" means. Picture style sets the default contrast, sharpening, saturation, and color tone. The presets of standard, landscape, faithfully, neutral, portrait,, monochrome and the user defined settings tweak these 4 parameters. The advantage with Raw is that you can change these in the Raw conversion tool you use. The same is true for "as shot" white balance. The tools understood what you chose when you took the shot but can be changed.

Canon manuals will tell you tha faithfull and neutral can look a little flat that is why "standard" is the suggested setting unless you are committed to adjusting contrast, saturation, and sharpness in the Raw conversion step.

AiServo only effects how the focusing works so in camera and on the computer will be the same. It has no impact on saturation.

The color space of sRGB or AdobeRGB selection depends more on where the conversion to jpeg or Tiff is headed IMO. If its for a monitor choose sRGB. if for a printer I use the larger color space of Adobe. Again the Raw converter knows what you chose in camera but since you shot Raw won't apply it till you convert to jpeg or Tiff giving you the opportunity to change it.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

mjmackinnon
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 27, 2012 05:54 as a reply to  @ swldstn's post |  #11

have you ever calibrated your monitor? Even more important is what is your final viewing medium for your photos? That is what you need to calibrate for. If you are going to Walmart and getting the printed there, then you need to calibrate your camera settings to matchfor what your local Walmart is producing in print. If you are just viewing them on your computer monitor, then either adjust at the camera for the monitor, or re-calibrate the monitor to be right. most monitors are set to way over saturate and contrast.

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 27, 2012 07:18 |  #12

jamie_s_72 wrote in post #14159653 (external link)
I've been shooting my 24-105L for about a month now and I really like it, as long as I don't view the pictures on my computer afterward. The pics on the camera look very vibrant but when I upload them they seem very saturated. I'm shooting a T3I on AV. I am at a loss here. Any advice would be great

I agree with the rest, look at them on a different monitor, shoot in RAW for easier color adjustments.
(Those pics don't look the sharpest though)

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 27, 2012 07:34 |  #13

Control ISO, shoot Raw, make sure shutter speed is higher, set it to Servo focus, but most of all, find some really nice light. Those were shot on a very "dull" day.

mjmackinnon
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 27, 2012 08:09 |  #14

rral22 wrote in post #14161460 (external link)
but most of all, find some really nice light. Those were shot on a very "dull" day.

Dull days are far better for photography. it's the bright sunny days that tend to wash out the colour.

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 27, 2012 09:18 |  #15

mjmackinnon wrote in post #14161599 (external link)
Dull days are far better for photography. it's the bright sunny days that tend to wash out the colour.

OKaaay.

I'll stop looking for that "golden hour" crap. Thanks for the enlightenment.

sponsored links

2,857 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pulling my hair out.....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.