Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 26, 2012 22:11 |  #331

I've already cast my lot with Canon (ordered a 5D3). But one thing that might make me regret it is the Oly 75mm F1.8 that is coming out. If that lens turns out to be awesome (as good as the 45 1.8), it would be a real game changer, I think. As it is, the long lenses are all pretty good, but nothing great (unlike at the short end, where 4/3 is really strong).

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

sponsored links
EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 26, 2012 22:26 |  #332

Al, congrats on the 5D3.. :)

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 26, 2012 22:36 |  #333

EOS mE wrote in post #14159927 (external link)
Al, congrats on the 5D3.. :)

Thanks. I'm very excited about it. Still, for $3500, I could get an OMD and have enough left over for most of the 4/3s top glass...and sell all my canon glass and take my family on a tour of Europe:lol:

You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 26, 2012 22:46 |  #334

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14159779 (external link)
I like those shots too, but I don't see shallow DOF. The background is far in the back. The lower shots are "panning" shots, which is giving extra background blur...
That said, I've gotten lots of shallow DOF shots with mine, but generally had to get up really close to the subject.

The 1st 2 portraits are what I was talking about. And the point about background being far back just demonstrates that proper positioning of subject and background is more important in most cases than 2 stops of difference due to system properties. There are always exceptions and I'll defend the DOF ability of FF over smaller sensor formats to the death--when you need it you need it--but at the same time the difference is overblown. This is coming from a person who uses an 85L wide open on a 5D all the time and loves it.

Also overblown: super-shallow DOF. Yes, we get it--you can get the eyelashes in focus while the nose is out of focus :lol: But is that necessarily desirable? That's a question that doesn't get asked enough amidst the chest-beating and bigger-is-better mentality.

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 26, 2012 22:47 |  #335

Al... that's what i've been thinking about. even if i unload all my gear to fund the EM5, i'd still have a lot of cash back!! at least $4K or more and that's after buying the EM5 + battery grip with 14-42 lens!! tough decisions..

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 26, 2012 22:54 |  #336

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14159830 (external link)
I've already cast my lot with Canon (ordered a 5D3). But one thing that might make me regret it is the Oly 75mm F1.8 that is coming out. If that lens turns out to be awesome (as good as the 45 1.8), it would be a real game changer, I think. As it is, the long lenses are all pretty good, but nothing great (unlike at the short end, where 4/3 is really strong).

I'm keeping an eye on the 75mm, but for my use I'll probably skip it. It looks like the same build type as the 12mm minus the snap focus ring, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for $999 and up. If so that's way too much for me since I wouldn't use it that much. The 45mm f/1.8 is a gem at an acceptable price for its performance, so I'll probably stick with it. Then again I thought the 12mm was too pricey too, but when I found it used for a good price that changed :)

The one thing I'm missing: a 17/18mm or so, f/1.8 or larger. It's my favorite focal length, and right now the only option is the less-than-stellar 17mm f/2.8, which I own and use but would rather have a lens with faster AF and better IQ. When that lens comes out I think I'll be done with lenses for personal use. If m4/3 ever got to the point as a system where it's complete enough for pro use I'd need some f/2.8 zooms as well, but for personal use the lens selection is very close to complete for me.

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14160007 (external link)
Thanks. I'm very excited about it. Still, for $3500, I could get an OMD and have enough left over for most of the 4/3s top glass...and sell all my canon glass and take my family on a tour of Europe:lol:

Does your family know that? :lol: I might be joining you at some point among the ranks of 5DIII owners--still have some decisions to make including whether to stick with Canon at all!

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 26, 2012 22:59 |  #337

^^ the thing that's holding me back with the EM5 is beside seeing more photos it can produce, but mainly most photos i've seen that's been awesome and at times jaw-dropping are shot with prime. i want EM5 because of reduction of size without sacrificing performance and IQ. but most of all, would like to have a zoom lens i can use all around like my 24-70L. is that too much to ask? :lol:

My Reviews:

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 26, 2012 23:11 |  #338

EOS mE wrote in post #14160150 (external link)
^^ the thing that's holding me back with the EM5 is beside seeing more photos it can produce, but mainly most photos i've seen that's been awesome and at times jaw-dropping are shot with prime. i want EM5 because of reduction of size without sacrificing performance and IQ. but most of all, would like to have a zoom lens i can use all around like my 24-70L. is that too much to ask? :lol:

The 12-35mm f/2.8 is coming, within the next couple months if rumors are to be believed. Good luck buying one unless you're in Japan though, because Panasonic's supply chain is awful.

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 26, 2012 23:35 |  #339

A fellow named "picturecrazy" posted early in this thread. He's an incredible photographer, who does really HOT, high grade, low-light boudoir stuff. He prefers crop sensors to FF because he always has to shoot wide open (because of the low light environment) and FF makes DOF too shallow. If a guy like that says he wishes he could switch over to 4/3, it carries a lot of weight with me. So far the 4/3 systems are on a higher, more exciting trajectory than Canon. The new 5D3 is, for the most part, Canon putting an AF system like the one they developed years ago for the 7D into a full frame. Each new 4/3s camera has some "wow" factor...
That says, we can't predict the future. Has 4/3 come close to hitting the wall of what it's smaller sensor can do? I've no idea.
I am crazy about shallow dof, even where some eyelashes are in focus and some blurred :lol: I don't mind carrying a big camera around, so I will be Canon FF for quite a while, but I still like this thread:D

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 26, 2012 23:42 |  #340

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #14160203 (external link)
The 12-35mm f/2.8 is coming, within the next couple months if rumors are to be believed. Good luck buying one unless you're in Japan though, because Panasonic's supply chain is awful.

I need to look into this lens,
I miss good zooms but I like primes mostly, 12mm is great , 45is getting here in 2 days, should be great, and then it's either sell all canon lenses, or keep them for later.
If I sell would totally get the pana Leica 25 mm 1.4 (would rather have one like the 12 and 45. And 75)

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 27, 2012 00:23 |  #341

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14160322 (external link)
The new 5D3 is, for the most part, Canon putting an AF system like the one they developed years ago for the 7D into a full frame.

I agree with the gist of your post, but this is BS. The AF system in the 5DmkIII is the same system used in the 1Dx and is, at least on paper, the best AF system ever put into a Canon camera including any of the previous 1 series cameras. The 5DmkIII sensor itself is only a modest upgrade over the mkII and most of the other new features are based on the 7D, but the new AF system should put the 7D to shame.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 27, 2012 00:42 |  #342

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14160322 (external link)
A fellow named "picturecrazy" posted early in this thread. He's an incredible photographer, who does really HOT, high grade, low-light boudoir stuff. He prefers crop sensors to FF because he always has to shoot wide open (because of the low light environment) and FF makes DOF too shallow. If a guy like that says he wishes he could switch over to 4/3, it carries a lot of weight with me. So far the 4/3 systems are on a higher, more exciting trajectory than Canon. The new 5D3 is, for the most part, Canon putting an AF system like the one they developed years ago for the 7D into a full frame. Each new 4/3s camera has some "wow" factor...
That says, we can't predict the future. Has 4/3 come close to hitting the wall of what it's smaller sensor can do? I've no idea.
I am crazy about shallow dof, even where some eyelashes are in focus and some blurred :lol: I don't mind carrying a big camera around, so I will be Canon FF for quite a while, but I still like this thread:D

yea, i saw what lloyd posted about switching over to 4/3. so it's very interesting to see. but once there's a good zoom out, even if it's in Japan, i can ask my friend to buy it for me there and ship it here. :)

My Reviews:

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,119 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 27, 2012 04:42 |  #343

krb wrote in post #14160490 (external link)
I agree with the gist of your post, but this is BS. The AF system in the 5DmkIII is the same system used in the 1Dx and is, at least on paper, the best AF system ever put into a Canon camera including any of the previous 1 series cameras. The 5DmkIII sensor itself is only a modest upgrade over the mkII and most of the other new features are based on the 7D, but the new AF system should put the 7D to shame.

OK, maybe I overstated it a bit, but it isn't a very aggressive upgrade for 3.5 years of R&D, and yet the price is almost exactly equal to a 5D2 plus a 7D.
When Sony comes out with their new full frame, if they put the kind of outside-the-box thinking that they applied to the Nex series and the recent Alphas, I think they are going to amaze everybody...
Hey, wait a minute, isn't this a 4/3s thread:oops:

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 27, 2012 11:04 |  #344

^^ lol...

My Reviews:

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 27, 2012 11:15 |  #345

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14161048 (external link)
Hey, wait a minute, isn't this a 4/3s thread:oops:

Doh!  :o

Seriously though, I agree with you that 4/3 is improving at a much faster rate. I really like what they did with the 5DIII, modest as the improvements may seem, but I simply don't need it. I have a 1DsII for portrait work and I have a 7D for birds/wildlife/sports but for me both of those cameras have become specialized tools for those tasks. For anything else I'm either shooting the 'old' GF2 for convenience or the 645 because I like working with B&W film.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links

82,570 views & 2 likes for this thread
DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.