Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 26 Mar 2012 (Monday) 16:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to photography. Critique please!

boomjuice1
31 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 26, 2012 16:55 |  #1

Hi guys,

So after weeks of reading hundreds of magazines, thousands of articles online and trawling through this great forum for tips and ideas... I finally took my (first) DSLR camera out to take some photos!

I spent a weekend in The lake District and a weekend on the Dorset Coast, and below are some of the photos I took.

I then used all my brand new Nik-software to edit the photos.

Below are the results. Critique is welcome, like I said I'v only been doing this for a month so still learning!

P.S First shots are HDR

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
boomjuice1
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 26, 2012 16:56 |  #2

And two more....

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,820 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 26, 2012 16:59 |  #3

The first one is nice, but the sky is way overdone. You've oversaturated the entire image, but it would be okay if the sky wasn't so over the top. As a new user there is a tendency to want to push every image to the edge of its capacity, but then you find yourself going too far. Repeat this to yourself when you are editing an image "just because I can, doesn't mean I should." In a few months you will look back and realize you were trying a bit too hard with the post processing.

dlpasco
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 26, 2012 17:05 |  #4

I am no pro, consider me to be like a consumer buying your product.

I really like all of your images and have nothing more to offer on all but the first than "keep up the good work!" I really like the cold steeliness of the third image. On the second through the last, the composition of the photo draws my eyes into the frame. I love the light in the second. I also like the light and very interesting sky in the last. All good elements - to my untrained eye.

The first I also like but I find my eye drawn to the right of the frame - away from the image. The colors are fantastic.

I'm sure others will have more constructive criticism but for my money, excellent work.

Dan

dlpasco
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 26, 2012 17:06 |  #5

Sorry - I didn't even notice the sky in the first but gonzo is right - a little over the top.

Dan

boomjuice1
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 26, 2012 17:09 |  #6

Hey Gonzo,

Thanks for your comments.

I totally agree with you - I'm still trying to get to grips with all the new software, so I literally spend ages with the saturation, sharpening and the noise reduction tools. I finally get to the point where I like the photo but then I keep going just to see what additional results I get.

I'm well and truly hooked though, so hopefully over time and a bit of practice I'll start pulling of some decent shots!

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 26, 2012 17:12 |  #7

boomjuice1 wrote in post #14157841 (external link)
P.S First shots are HDR

This was unnecessary to say as it's quite obvious. I would caution you not to fall into the HDR trap. You should work on composition, understanding exposure and learning all about your camera and such before you go diving into HDR. These shots are all overprocessed and don't look very appealing because of it. Also it looks like most are over saturated and over sharpened.

HDR can be beneficial, but IMO it should not look like HDR when you are done - it should look natural. Others don't think so and like the unrealistic looking side of things. But as you are just starting I think that you should start with the basics and build from there and not worry too much about all the extra software and processing and such.

Gear List

boomjuice1
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 26, 2012 17:13 |  #8

Thanks Dan,

To be honest, peoples personal opinions are usually as valuable as in depth critique! Sometimes is just nice to know that people like a photo you've taken... especially at the infant stage I'm at!

elrober
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 26, 2012 17:17 |  #9

hi, newby here. What software were you using? Great landscapes, what was your focal point on the second picture?

Steve ­ Wintrow
187 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 26, 2012 19:09 |  #10

welcome newby. i concur with what the others have said. however i do like the subtle colors of #2.

they are all very nice

5DII, 1D Mark IIn, Canon 24-105 L, Canon 28-70 2.8L, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 100-400L
Canon 580EX, 430EXII, PW+II, 2-FlexTT5
2-Prophoto Compact 600+PW

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 27, 2012 06:25 as a reply to  @ Steve Wintrow's post |  #11

You don't need a slew of software plug-ins to create a nice image. In several images, you pushed things too far...over-saturation and/or heavy use of the vibrance slider, contrast pushed too far. The HDRs are showing some halo-ing at the contrasty edges, etc. An image that's been properly composed and exposed should require very little adjustment.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

boomjuice1
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 27, 2012 08:00 |  #12

Hey guys,

Appreciate all your honest feedback! Looks like theres a running trend that I've gone to far with the processing of the photographs - I'll try and resist the urge to play around to much with the software and concentrate on making the camera do the work.

Again, thanks for all your feedback - I'll keep at it and share some more photos soon!

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 27, 2012 18:09 |  #13

boomjuice1 wrote in post #14161568 (external link)
Hey guys,

Appreciate all your honest feedback! Looks like theres a running trend that I've gone to far with the processing of the photographs - I'll try and resist the urge to play around to much with the software and concentrate on making the camera do the work.

Again, thanks for all your feedback - I'll keep at it and share some more photos soon!

Start there! Worry about software more when you're starting to get those nice shots straight out of the camera. It's much easier to learn if you post lightly edited shots and see what people think - there is a ton that can be fixed in the camera and that's where you need to start. Once you've done everything you can in the camera, then you can start to work with the software to enhance and improve what you can get. This doesn't mean you can't still play around - but for critique sake, posting images that are edited with a much lighter hand will help you much more in the long run.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,996 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to photography. Critique please!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.