Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 27 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 16:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My turn to talk to the police

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 27, 2012 16:18 |  #1

Well I new it would happen sooner or later...and it did.
This morning I went to the local airport and parked on some spare (public) ground near the end of the runway. I had a pair of step ladders with me so that I could get a better view of the runway. I got set up on top of the step ladders next to my car and the coast guard C130 rolled out, I had got there just in time. After a 5-6 minute warm up at the end of the runway it rolls down the runway.
I set my camera down on the top of my SUV and turn around to see four Sheriff's cars comeing on to the spare ground, in total there were six officers. I was told to come down from the step ladders I started comply and reached for my camera and was told leave it there. I told them no I am not going to leave it in the sun, I will put it in the back of the car and I did.
The officers formed a 1/2 circle around me and asked what I was doing, so I told them photographing aircraft especially the Coast Guard C130. I was then asked for my drivers license I was asked is the information on the license current "yes". I then started to put my hand in my pocket to get my electronic cigarette and he tells me to keep my hands out of my pockets. The officer then took my license back to his car and I chatted to the rest of the officers and they asked where am I from ( this was to be expected as I talk funny being from Yorkshire). The officer running my license then shouts to me could I close my hatch so he could see the license plate, I did.
A bit more small talk a little about photography when I see the C130 on a landing approach, I said "he's coming in can I get my camera to get a shot" they all said get it quick. I did, one officer asking could he borrow my binoculars "yes", I got a few shots from the top of my ladder. A little more small talk as we look at the shots I got. At this point I asked can I get my E Cigarette out of my pocket and was told yes and more questions followed...about the E cigarette.The officer running my license then joined us with a few more questions address, phone number, ss number, my weight, do I make a living with photography (no) where did I work and what did I do, how offten do I come to this spot, are the people in the white van that just passed with me.After this he told me they had got a lot of calls about me so I told him in the future I would call a Sheriff's office If I new witch one and I had a phone number. He said no problem and gave me one saying this may stop the men dressed in black paying you a visit. They all left except one car (the unmarked one) he stayed there until I left.
After this I payed a quick visit to my place of work a short distance away and when I came out the unmarked car was parked down the street.

sponsored links
jkru617
220 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 27, 2012 16:35 |  #2

Youre probably on the "list" now

cdiver2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 27, 2012 16:52 |  #3

jkru617 wrote in post #14164271 (external link)
Youre probably on the "list" now

That's OK I am going to dress in black and wear shades, that will confuse them

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 27, 2012 17:53 |  #4

Sleep light, they'll try and insert something into one of your body cavities when you sleep.

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 27, 2012 18:01 |  #5

Don't forget the Fedora and Black Cape to go with that outfit. Maybe a Big Long Purple Feather
to go in the hat. Just add one piece each day.

People have been taking photos of planes, trains, and ever conceivable moving apparatice that
can convey people since the Camera was invented. And they are somehow surprised that someone
might be taking photos of an airplane or helicopter by an airport?

Maybe next time wear a bright yellow Sun Dress and Big Floppy Hat, while sitting on the
step ladder. That would really confuse them.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

cdiver2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 27, 2012 18:11 |  #6

I dont think I like where this is going.

next time wear a bright yellow Sun Dress and Big Floppy Hat, while sitting on the
step ladder.

[QUOTE

Sleep light, they'll try and insert something into one of your body cavities when you sleep.

QUOTE]

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 27, 2012 18:21 |  #7

Better take your SUV to a shop and ask them to put it on the lift - and look for the GPS that's hidden underneath.

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

cdiver2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 27, 2012 18:29 |  #8

number six wrote in post #14164835 (external link)
Better take your SUV to a shop and ask them to put it on the lift - and look for the GPS that's hidden underneath.

If its anything like my GPS all they will get is "recalculating" :D

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Mar 27, 2012 18:39 |  #9

Ouch.... Was waiting for the circle jerk and oral swabbing to commence.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 27, 2012 18:50 |  #10

Did they ask if there really is Yorkshire pudding in Yorkshire?

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 27, 2012 22:14 |  #11

S.Horton wrote in post #14164993 (external link)
Did they ask if there really is Yorkshire pudding in Yorkshire?

lol

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 27, 2012 22:16 |  #12

Or, you could find the airport cop shop, take them a nice print or two and properly introduce yourself...

Maybe, you could even ask them about starting a proper airport watch group?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 27, 2012 22:53 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #13

Geez, what an ordeal. If you were up to no good, they probably would have left you alone.

Best, Bruce

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,556 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 27, 2012 22:57 |  #14

its a few questions and they even let you take the shot. I see nothing wrong with what happened. They asked, you answered, no harm no foul. Everyone goes home happy.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 27, 2012 23:03 |  #15

Where is the pic(s)??

Sounds like you handled it nicely... unlike others I've read or heard about on here.

sponsored links

2,739 views & 0 likes for this thread
My turn to talk to the police
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.