Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there another camera on the market that has the ISO capabilities of the 5D mkiii ?

jeffreynmandy
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 27, 2012 23:18 |  #1

I would guess I am advanced amateur. So I have never handled the 1D mkiv or a 1Ds. I am very fortunate enough to afford a 5d mkiii this year, and am blown away by it. It may be just me, but I think the higher ISO just kills my 7d. Does anyone have experience with the new 5D, and Canon's other top of the line models? How do they compare to each other? Are the ISO capabilities fairly equal, or is it new technology that makes the 5Diii's high ISO's usable. These questions would also help potential buyers who is choosing from the 1D and 5d lines, from a image quality only stand point.

This shot was taken in near darkness, It is noisy at 100% crop, but its perfectly fine for printing or web use. it was a lot darker than what appears, and still got the focus( a little slower though). Taken at f2.8 ISO 25,600. I bet a f1.2 or f1.4 is amazingly good. I dont think my 7d could come close to this quality in near darkness.

My son watching TV on the couch.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i878.photobucke​t.com …effreynmandy/NK​0C6447.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Ever changing.

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 27, 2012 23:24 |  #2

I think the only camera that might best the 5D3 is the 1DX. Unfortunately there aren't any high ISO raw files to evaluate.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2012 05:05 |  #3

jeffreynmandy wrote in post #14166549 (external link)
I would guess I am advanced amateur. So I have never handled the 1D mkiv or a 1Ds. I am very fortunate enough to afford a 5d mkiii this year, and am blown away by it. It may be just me, but I think the higher ISO just kills my 7d. Does anyone have experience with the new 5D, and Canon's other top of the line models? How do they compare to each other? Are the ISO capabilities fairly equal, or is it new technology that makes the 5Diii's high ISO's usable. These questions would also help potential buyers who is choosing from the 1D and 5d lines, from a image quality only stand point.

This shot was taken in near darkness, It is noisy at 100% crop, but its perfectly fine for printing or web use. it was a lot darker than what appears, and still got the focus( a little slower though). Taken at f2.8 ISO 25,600. I bet a f1.2 or f1.4 is amazingly good. I dont think my 7d could come close to this quality in near darkness.

My son watching TV on the couch.

no, but I am only an "enthusiast" and as such use a flash for near total darkness pics

kethnguy
196 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 28, 2012 05:17 |  #4

holy cow that is amazing for ISO 25,600

Canon 50D Gripped || 24-105 F4 L || 430EX II

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 28, 2012 05:20 |  #5

Probably only really the Nikon D4 but it's much more expensive.

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

BugEyes
577 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 28, 2012 05:38 |  #6

I made a shootout between my 3 Canond DSLR's (5D3, 5D2 and 7D) on ISO 1600, 3200 and 6400.
Took one pic each on each ISO speed with the same settings with the same lens and same (mediocre) lighting.

Conclusion
5D3 better than 5D2 increasingly with ISO speed, obvious at 6400
5D3 better than 7D but 7D holds up fine until 1600

Another observation, 5D3 exposed higher than 5D2 at all same settings, same lens and light, more honest ISO thus. When compensating for that in raw development the difference became more ovious. I used Lightroom for raw handling having converted the 5D3 pics to DNG first.

Heres my test pics if anybody wants to play, zipped raw files. When unzipped the filenames will tell what is what...

www.sorkin.se/test/ISO​.zip (external link)

Kameras, lenses and other stuff
http://www.sorkin.se (external link)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,424 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2012 06:53 |  #7

watt100 wrote in post #14167322 (external link)
no, but I am only an "enthusiast" and as such use a flash for near total darkness pics

I am reminded of an interview with a well known photog many years ago on the debate of use of available light only.

He responded to a question in this manner....

" Oh to be sure, I only use available light. If there is a flash unit in my bag, then it is available and I use it. So to that end, my flash unit is 'available light' . "

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 28, 2012 07:08 |  #8

nicksan wrote in post #14166568 (external link)
I think the only camera that might best the 5D3 is the 1DX. Unfortunately there aren't any high ISO raw files to evaluate.

With your d3s experience, how does this compare?

Jason

Stamp
680 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 28, 2012 07:18 |  #9

BugEyes wrote in post #14167377 (external link)
Another observation, 5D3 exposed higher than 5D2 at all same settings, same lens and light, more honest ISO thus.

Good point. I noticed the same thing. I usually shoot about 1 stop to the right on my 7D and 1dsII, so naturally I did the same with the 5d3, and noticed that they were overexposed compared to the other bodies. No more shoot the right for this guy.

1Ds Mark II, 5D Mark III, Canon AE1, Yashica Electro 35, Mamiya RB67, Yashica 124, some lenses with red rings on them, and some flashey things
- My Site (external link) -
- Like It On Facebook (external link) -

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 28, 2012 09:28 |  #10

jase1125 wrote in post #14167562 (external link)
With your d3s experience, how does this compare?

When I do a simple downsizing of the 5D3 files to 12MP (4256 pixels on the long side) and compare the noise levels, they look very similar with the slight edge going to the D3s, and I mean very slight. I did this with the Imaging Resource studio reference shots and also did an informal comparison with my own D3s files. Also, my impression is that the D4 is no better than the D3s in terms of noise.

As I mentioned before, there's too little on the 1DX to determine where it stands...

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2012 09:46 |  #11

watt100 wrote in post #14167322 (external link)

Using a flash for that shot would have taken away from the setting, and would have hurt his eyes. He didn't even know I took the picture.

There are many situations where you don't want or can't use a flash.

Ever changing.

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 28, 2012 10:17 |  #12

I believe from what I've seen that D800 will be equivalent if downsized to match resolution.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 28, 2012 11:46 |  #13

jeffreynmandy wrote in post #14168305 (external link)
Using a flash for that shot would have taken away from the setting, and would have hurt his eyes. He didn't even know I took the picture.

There are many situations where you don't want or can't use a flash.

Well, given there's nothing of interest in the background, and if this were a photo that I knew I wanted to keep, then I would have bounced the flash off a wall or ceiling.

Would have been at like 1/60 ISO1600-3200 to suck some of the ambient lighting in.

Simple enough.

jthomps123
476 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 28, 2012 11:53 |  #14

D4 and D3s both seem to have better hi-iso capabilities in my eyes but the 5d3 is very nice, at ISO 12800 is looks like my 1ds2 at 3200.

1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 29, 2012 09:47 |  #15

jeffreynmandy wrote in post #14166549 (external link)
This shot was taken in near darkness,
IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i878.photobucke​t.com …effreynmandy/NK​0C6447.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

I'm confused...if it's taken in near darkness where is the shine on the couch and the shadow of his arm and head coming from?

If you used a flash, then it's not near darkness and the high ISO test is flawed.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

sponsored links

3,221 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there another camera on the market that has the ISO capabilities of the 5D mkiii ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.