Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 28 Jun 2008 (Saturday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM -SIGMALUX-

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,114 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 27, 2012 05:35 |  #7756

Downs Photography wrote in post #14159364 (external link)
I think I have a bad copy of the canon 50 1.4, should I replace it and buy a sigma? Or should I worry about bad copies?

Yes and yes. You may well have a problem with the Sigma, but if you get it calibrated (by sigma, for free) you will be very happy. If you have a 5D2, you should be able to micro adjust it. If it's really bad, it's best if you bought from a place with an easy return policy.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

sponsored links
ximix
516 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 27, 2012 06:18 |  #7757

IMAGE: http://album.foto.ru/photos/or/125160/2378089.jpg

IMAGE: http://album.foto.ru/photos/or/125160/2370796.jpg

IMAGE: http://album.foto.ru/photos/or/125160/2370793.jpg

IMAGE: http://album.foto.ru/photos/or/125160/2370820.jpg

The ­ Devil
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 27, 2012 09:11 |  #7758

Winwin wrote in post #14160258 (external link)
Yeah mine misses and hunts a lot in dim light as well (compared to L lenses at least). According to some reviews I've read online, it seems like it's normal.

Mine doesn't. Are you sure you're actually focusing on high contrast areas? Focusing on an area with little to no texture and contrast will be a problem for prettymuch any lens.
I often shoot in dark conditions where 1/125 and F1.4 and ISO1600-3200 gives a tolerable exposure and I've never had problems with hunting, not with a 400D nor with a 5D.
I do use the central AF point though, rarely if ever use the edge ones.

A good photographer can take extraordinary photos anywhere, with any camera and any lens while a mediocre one will take mediocre ones everywhere, with every camera and every lens.
Never limit yourself with what others think you should do. Shoot what you find interesting, exactly the way you want to.
Flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

tomme
Goldmember
1,263 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 27, 2012 09:37 as a reply to  @ The Devil's post |  #7759

really nice set there ximix :)

Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 27, 2012 10:07 |  #7760

Yeah mine misses and hunts a lot in dim light as well (compared to L lenses at least). According to some reviews I've read online, it seems like it's normal.

Wow I'd get that checked out. I've never missed focus even in the darkest conditions on the 7D. Have you tried it on another body? I know a wedding photog that can't stand most lenses in low light on his 5dii.

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 27, 2012 10:11 |  #7761

fotuwe wrote in post #14160782 (external link)
How did you add the white dots and scratches eye2i? Have been looking for ages doing this..

you could try using film and then mishandling the crap out of your negatives :lol:

As far as low light focus for the Sigmalux, I've had no issues. I've shot at ISO 6400 wide open just to get shutter speeds better than 1/60th and focus was no issue on my 1Diii or 50D

Winwin
702 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 27, 2012 10:12 |  #7762

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #14162129 (external link)
Wow I'd get that checked out. I've never missed focus even in the darkest conditions on the 7D. Have you tried it on another body? I know a wedding photog that can't stand most lenses in low light on his 5dii.

I only have my XSI, which gives me a similar experience. The 7D has better AF though, so that could partly be it.

The Devil wrote in post #14161845 (external link)
Mine doesn't. Are you sure you're actually focusing on high contrast areas? Focusing on an area with little to no texture and contrast will be a problem for prettymuch any lens.
I often shoot in dark conditions where 1/125 and F1.4 and ISO1600-3200 gives a tolerable exposure and I've never had problems with hunting, not with a 400D nor with a 5D.
I do use the central AF point though, rarely if ever use the edge ones.

Ah... I usually use the edge ones actually. Do you just recompose after pressing down the shutter then?

Win.
Canon 5D Mark III, 100 f/2.8L Macro, 50 f/1.8 STM

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 27, 2012 10:19 |  #7763

I use outer points all the time for composition, hardly ever use the centre. Also shooting at 1/60 ISO1600-3200. Making sure I use a contrast area to focus on at all times. Sure it'll miss some, but then so do all lenses. The 5D2 isn't recognised for its outer focus point performance in low light though! :D

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 27, 2012 10:46 |  #7764

Winwin wrote in post #14162156 (external link)
I only have my XSI, which gives me a similar experience. The 7D has better AF though, so that could partly be it.

Ah... I usually use the edge ones actually. Do you just recompose after pressing down the shutter then?

using a Rebel's outer points in low light is a bad idea, unless you have some sort of focus assist beam

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 27, 2012 13:52 |  #7765

I am thinking about getting this lens for portraits on a 7d. I was wondering about the new finish. Is the whole lens the new finish or are the zoom rings the old type? I know that with a lot of sigma lenses when the new finish came out there was some mixing and matching of the new finish that I find really ugly. Does this lens have that or do the new lenses consist of entirely new finish. Do I need to buy a newer model to get one with entirely new finish? I am thinking of buying local, but don't want to get one that isn't updated with the latest finish.

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 27, 2012 13:57 |  #7766

^just look at the finish when you go to buy it

Make sure to test for focus issues... if it has front/back focus it's not the end of the world but you'll need to send it in to be calibrated or use microadjust.

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 27, 2012 15:18 |  #7767

I'm pretty sure the finish doesn't effect the output of the lens :D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Jennie (external link) by jj_glos (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

speedbug
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 28, 2012 13:45 as a reply to  @ jj_glos's post |  #7768

bobos wrote in post #14158234 (external link)
You might want to keep your 1.8 II for low light focusing then. I've had absolutely terrible hunting with this compared to 1.8 II. I was doing a dark shoot and it made me want to throw my camera. Besides, if you're worried about getting a bad copy, you'll know within a couple of hours of using it. And you could either send it back to whoever you bought it from and get a new one, or send it in to Sigma for free and have them work on it. It's pretty easy.

Nice shot by the way!

thank you guys for your kind answers. If it's that bad at low light focusing, then I think it's a no, since I plan to use it for indoor wedding activities.

fotuwe wrote in post #14160782 (external link)
How did you add the white dots and scratches eye2i? Have been looking for ages doing this..

I think he uses texture in PP

Winwin wrote in post #14162156 (external link)

I always use the middle one too, since it's the best focus point in every DSLR.
it's called focus recompose. but it doesn't work well in shallow depth of field photo.

Agreed. the 7D even has better AF than 5dii.. but the bests AF are 1dx and 5diii now

KayakPhotos wrote in post #14163398 (external link)
I am thinking about getting this lens for portraits on a 7d. I was wondering about the new finish. Is the whole lens the new finish or are the zoom rings the old type? I know that with a lot of sigma lenses when the new finish came out there was some mixing and matching of the new finish that I find really ugly. Does this lens have that or do the new lenses consist of entirely new finish. Do I need to buy a newer model to get one with entirely new finish? I am thinking of buying local, but don't want to get one that isn't updated with the latest finish.

the new finish, marked with the number 11 or 12 (it's 10 in the sample picture) in the beginning of the code.
it really doesn't matter that much, since the new finish was aimed for users in high humidity / tropical counties.

my random guess, the 10 / 11 / 12 numbers are the year they're built?

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i856.photobucke​t.com …2/St3v3n_lee/27​e5d773.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

6D | Fuji x100s
Instagram (external link)

goonico
199 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 28, 2012 13:45 |  #7769

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LMgVKKg_O7k/T3Nbe4_6F6I/AAAAAAAACvs/rF3KgFlVvVI/s800/DPP07DC031C121C21.jpg

Flickr (external link)
mY bLoG (external link)

goonico
199 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 28, 2012 13:51 |  #7770

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Flickr (external link)
mY bLoG (external link)

sponsored links

3,006,000 views & 161 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM -SIGMALUX-
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.