Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Mar 2012 (Monday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G12 or ?

shane_c
720 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 05, 2012 13:58 |  #1

I currently have a T3i, but despite how much I like it, the last few days I have been thinking of selling it and my lenses. If I do that I would like something around $500 and would put the rest of my money towards bills.

I mainly shoot nature, macro and abstract stuff and if I sold my T3i I'd like something that takes good photos, more compact than a DSLR and that I would easily have manual control over.

I've seen the G12 for mid $400's recently. The S100 seems too P&S to me. Are there any other cameras out there I should consider?

Canon 80D - Canon 15-85, Canon 24 & 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 100-400ii, 1.4xiii
G15
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
tempest68
980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 05, 2012 20:13 |  #2

I'd look at the Fujifilm X-10. I had a G9 before and just didn't like the ergonomics of the body.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
720 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 06, 2012 14:16 |  #3

Thanks for the reply. I was talking it over with my other half this morning and she thinks I would regret getting rid of the SLR. She's 'probably' right.

Canon 80D - Canon 15-85, Canon 24 & 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 100-400ii, 1.4xiii
G15

eyalg
583 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 06, 2012 15:47 |  #4

The G12 and X10 would excellent to accompany your DSLR, but not to replace it.
If you want something more compact than your T3i, you could go for a G1X,
or perhaps a m4:3 system, such as an GF3 or an E-PM1.

-eyalg

My Digital Camera Guide - www.eyalg.com (external link)

tempest68
980 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 07, 2012 19:41 |  #5

shane_c wrote in post #14036687 (external link)
Thanks for the reply. I was talking it over with my other half this morning and she thinks I would regret getting rid of the SLR. She's 'probably' right.

Once you have a DSLR, it's hard to step back to something that might not be as versatile, flexible, and provide the same IQ. Although some of the mirrorless cameras are getting good enough that I'd be tempted to suggest them to someone starting from scratch. I'm curious to see what the Olympus OM-D E-M5 performs like once it's released. I debated on pre-ordering it. But decided to just stick with a DSLR, and ordered a 5D II.

I just took time to look at your blog - I like what you're getting from your gear you have now. Nice work. Last year I bought a travel book about where you're from, as I was considering a trip up to Maine and maybe taking the ferry over to your neck of the woods. It looks like a beautiful place to be. We ended up going to Vermont last year instead, so Maine and NS will have to wait for another year or two (Doing Disney World this year).

If you're just looking for a way to travel lighter, consider picking up another prime or two. There are times I go out with just the 40mm (smallest EF mount lens that I'm aware of) or 85mm. It's amazing how much of a difference you feel when only using a small prime vs. a zoom as far as weight and handling goes. It just feels more nimble to me.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
720 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 08, 2012 14:06 |  #6

Thanks Jim!
I may look at getting a G12 or something similar at some point for a second camera when I don't want to be lugging around the D-SLR and lenses all the time.

I would certainly recommend a trip up this way some day. The ferry between Maine and NS stopped running a couple years ago but hopefully it will be up and running again at some point.

G15

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
720 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 21, 2012 10:54 |  #7

I'm back thinking about this again. Got hit with a big car repair bill yesterday so I think I've had enough of the bank account constantly taking hits and have put my SLR and lenses for sale to build things back up a bit. Once it sells I'll likely pick up a G12 so I still have a camera. Seems pretty good from the reviews I've been seeing. I'd like to stick with Canon since it's what I've had for the last 15 years or so. Fear of the unknown I guess! I also one that's not a basic P&S because I know I won't like that. At least with the G12 it gives me the option to shoot Manual and in RAW.

G15

clasami
30 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 21, 2012 11:20 |  #8

shane_c wrote in post #14125763 (external link)
I'm back thinking about this again. Got hit with a big car repair bill yesterday so I think I've had enough of the bank account constantly taking hits and have put my SLR and lenses for sale to build things back up a bit. Once it sells I'll likely pick up a G12 so I still have a camera. Seems pretty good from the reviews I've been seeing. I'd like to stick with Canon since it's what I've had for the last 15 years or so. Fear of the unknown I guess! I also one that's not a basic P&S because I know I won't like that. At least with the G12 it gives me the option to shoot Manual and in RAW.

Why don' you try to find a used G11 or G12?

sagray
309 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 21, 2012 11:25 |  #9

I like my G12 because of the RAW thing (although I'm frustrated that I can't open the files directly in PS unless I upgrade to CS5), and also because of the hot shoe mount. I've done some studio trials with the G12, and it works...but it's a bit more painful to set up.

The IQ isn't up to my DSLRs, but it's good enough, and I'm looking forward to giving it a real run on my next travel date (this weekend).

40D, 5D (Classic)
Sigma 17-35 EX, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS), Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 135mm f/2L
2 AB400s, 1 Einstein, 2 Canon 580EXIIs, Canon 430EX, Vivitar 285HV, old Quantaray POS
flickr (external link) | Gray Imagery (external link)

pwdieter
528 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 21, 2012 20:45 |  #10

tempest68 wrote in post #14046235 (external link)
Once you have a DSLR, it's hard to step back to something that might not be as versatile, flexible, and provide the same IQ.

Maybe maybe not. What is your experience with this, first, second or third hand.

I have first hand experience with it and have not found it hard, in fact I have found it liberating and technically motivating. I have had to learn what the camera does well and focus on that but that is both plenty of opportunities as well as a useful focus for my work.

I lugged around photo gear for several decades of my younger life, I love not doing that.

Have fun
Paul

http://paul-dieter.artistwebsites.​com/ (external link)

USMCWayne
396 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 23, 2012 09:30 |  #11

pwdieter wrote in post #14129336 (external link)
Maybe maybe not. What is your experience with this, first, second or third hand.

I have first hand experience with it and have not found it hard, in fact I have found it liberating and technically motivating. I have had to learn what the camera does well and focus on that but that is both plenty of opportunities as well as a useful focus for my work.

I lugged around photo gear for several decades of my younger life, I love not doing that.

Me too

7D Mark II, M6 Mark II, G16, GoPro Hero 4 Silver
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Canon EF 1.4X II Extender, Canon EF 50 f1.8, Canon EF-M 15-45 f3.5-6.3, Canon EF-M 18-150 f3.5-6.3, Canon EF-M 22 f2.0
Manfrotto 3231 monopod & 3229 head, Dolica Proline tripod, Manfrotto compact monopod MMC3-01, K&F Concept KF-TM2324

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 23, 2012 10:04 |  #12

I've been trying to simplify my life since I closed my photo business.
Trip to Newfoundland, I really, really enjoyed having my G9 with me. I didn't enjoy carrying the dslr gear, which I seldom used (due to a shoulder injury at the time.)
Since then I've upgraded my dslr, and had a succession of P&S cameras.

Lingered with an LX5; didn't suit me, so it's gone.

Went to a NEX5 with kit zoom. Incredible high iso performance. I don't find it a satisfying camera to carry and use. I hate giving up control; menu selection is too much challenge for me.

Could see a reversal--thinking about G12/P7100, though I prefer the images I see here taken with the G12 over what I've seen with the nikon. Jury is still out.

I do carry a P&S travel zoom camera, and truly enjoy the range available with its lens.

Sometimes simple is better. Need to shoot more with the NEX5 on automatic before I give up on it.

Dave

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
720 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 23, 2012 12:53 |  #13

pwdieter wrote in post #14129336 (external link)

I'm hoping it's the case for me too. I know I'll miss my SLR but think it's time to move on. I currently have my camera and lenses for sale and when they're sold I'll pick up a G12 and pay off a few bills. I find I often leave it at home or only take photos close to home because I don't want to be lugging it around with me. I also do quite a bit of kayaking in the summer and don't like taking the SLR out on the water whereas if I had a G12 or something that size I could put it in the small dry storage holder

G15

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
720 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 28, 2012 18:40 |  #14

eyalg wrote in post #14037326 (external link)
The G12 and X10 would excellent to accompany your DSLR, but not to replace it.
If you want something more compact than your T3i, you could go for a G1X,
or perhaps a m4:3 system, such as an GF3 or an E-PM1.

-eyalg

I've been considering the G1X instead of the G12 for the larger sensor, better noise control, etc but I like to take macro and it looks like the G1X won't satisfy that need. And I'm not sure I'd be happy with the amount of noise I'm seeing in some of the G12 reviews at ISO 400 and up. Decisions, decisions....

G15

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 28, 2012 18:56 |  #15

I have a G12 and a couple T2is. The IQ difference is huge as is the flexibility but for shear convenience the G12 is nice for throwing in your pocket to use at a ballgame, skiing, etc. I think above ISO 100 it is useless from a noise perspective. The hot shoe is great to throw a flash on and then you seldom need to go above 100 though that is another thing to carry.

Good luck with your decision!

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

sponsored links

8,033 views & 0 likes for this thread
G12 or ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.