Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 24 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 19:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What starter video equipment to get?

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 26, 2012 15:54 |  #31

FNH wrote in post #14157446 (external link)
Buy and try doesn't sound too thrifty when the items are quite expensive.

Honestly, does Zacuto provide something that lower end products don't?

Yep. Just like Really Right Stuff, Markins and Gitzo do. But sometimes you just have to BUY them and own them to find out what everyone is talking about.

As far as Zacuto goes, the only thing I think they make thats worth the money is the Z-Finder loupe and their EVF. Everything else they sell is way over price and silly looking. For all other rig stuff I swear by Redrock Micro.

Not to mention you can buy any of this stuff from plenty of places that will give you 30 days to return it. Thats what I meant by buy it and try and see yourself.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 27, 2012 03:20 |  #32

The Zacuto Z Finder has build quality, which is one of the reasons it costs more. Also, Id say a percentage of that high price is for the name they have established, and the ease of mind that you are getting something that is considered "good" by the community.

Alas, i'd consider the Z-finder a luxury item, because you really can get the same exact job done with one of its far far cheaper cousins. Which is why I skipped it and bought the Varavon Profinder, and coincidentally it's still cheaper than a Z-finder.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

paintballkidz
757 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2012 03:59 |  #33

I started off with:
7d + 50mm 1.8 (WAAAYYY TOO CROPPED, wide angle is a must!!!) + rhode video mic
Spare batteries are a must!!! these things eat through them with video mode.

6D
24L

BoysClub
30 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 27, 2012 11:01 |  #34

ChasWG wrote in post #14155258 (external link)
For you to make a statement like that means you are only basing your claim on what you know.

This doesn't even make any sense... God forbid somebody has a different preference than thou.

I'm not saying they are useless. I'm just saying it isn't a necessity at this point. It's a luxury item at best; you don't NEED a Z-Finder to get sharp images like you need lenses to get images at all. Read: nuanced point.

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 27, 2012 17:11 |  #35

BoysClub wrote in post #14162442 (external link)
This doesn't even make any sense... God forbid somebody has a different preference than thou.

I'm not saying they are useless. I'm just saying it isn't a necessity at this point. It's a luxury item at best; you don't NEED a Z-Finder to get sharp images like you need lenses to get images at all. Read: nuanced point.

Yes, it does make sense. Maybe you're just not getting it... :rolleyes: Or maybe you can't. I said the exact same thing you just did. You stated this by saying that no one would need one of these loupes. And that's where I and others here disagreed with you.

And yeah, God forbid that anyone disagree with me. Hell hath no fury like Chas scorned!!!! :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 27, 2012 18:27 |  #36

FNH wrote in post #14147165 (external link)
What should I get within a strict 800 buck budget?

I might be able to help answer that question, but I must ask before doing so, what are your goals?

Is this a hobby purchase or a business purchase?

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

FNH
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 28, 2012 05:54 |  #37

Hobby.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 28, 2012 06:04 |  #38

FNH wrote in post #14167394 (external link)
Hobby.

Then buy yourself a decent tripod with a 75 or 100 mm bowl and a mid-priced fluid head, both of these are necessary base items for video, and unlike the little but rather expensive accessories, the tripod and head will retain their value for years to come, allowing you a monetary exit, should you decide video is not your cup of tea.

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

drvideo
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 29, 2012 12:10 as a reply to  @ Channel One's post |  #39

Didn't see it mentioned; the kit lens with variable F-stop can't be zoomed while shooting. Be sure to get a lens with an aperture that doesn't vary with focal length. . .

60D/Tam 17-50 f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD/Tam 70-200 f2.8 Di LD/Tam 60 F2 Macro/Tok 11-16 f2.8
Sunpak Auto544/Sekonic L758CINE

FNH
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 29, 2012 14:13 |  #40

Dr, Thats what I was thinking.
Also, its suggested I do a manual exposure ?

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 29, 2012 15:05 |  #41

Be aware that zooming while shooting will frequently give less than satisfactory results because the focus will often shift on most lenses as they're zoomed. Zooming while filming can certainly be done, but you need to keep an eagle eye on your focus.

Manual exposure is best if your shooting allows it (controlled or constant lighting). If not, use Auto ISO to control exposure. Don't use auto aperture or shutter speed (Av or Tv) to control exposure as these settings will actually change the look of your shot beyond merely brightness.

Of course, an experienced filmmaker (and I don't count myself in that category) can break all of these rules to obtain the look he/she wants, but folks just starting out should minimize the number of shot-ruining variables until they're more comfortable with the techniques.

Just my opinion.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

drvideo
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 29, 2012 16:32 as a reply to  @ Snafoo's post |  #42

Best advice I can give is to do a lot of controlled test shooting to familiarize yourself with your equipment and its peculiarities, that way you can mimimize those pesky surprises !:o

60D/Tam 17-50 f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD/Tam 70-200 f2.8 Di LD/Tam 60 F2 Macro/Tok 11-16 f2.8
Sunpak Auto544/Sekonic L758CINE

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 29, 2012 16:56 |  #43

drvideo wrote in post #14175266 (external link)
Didn't see it mentioned; the kit lens with variable F-stop can't be zoomed while shooting.

In most cases zooming while rolling should be avoided at al costs, and using a zoom as a substitute for a dolly shot is the mark of a duffer.

The primary reason for this is, dolly shots bring a shot to life, as the perspective and relationship of objects in the shot change and move in relationship to each other in the same manner as humans visualize something when they move closer to or further from an object.

Zooming merely tightens or widens the shot and does not provide the prospective of the viewer moving and in most cases blows the shot all together.

The secondary problem with zooming has to do with the operation of standard 35mm lenses, which for the most part have short and non dampened throws, making it nearly impossible to do a very controlled smooth zoom.

The tertiary problem is zooming with a telescoping lens as is it is virtually impossible to do so without disturbing what is framed, again blowing the shot

Now that is not to say zooms cannot be used in video, but to do so properly woud be to use them as primes, that is to say, set up the shot and set the focal length of the lens as needed, frame and roll, but as much as possible avoid zooming while rolling.

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 29, 2012 16:59 |  #44

FNH wrote in post #14175930 (external link)
Dr, Thats what I was thinking. Also, its suggested I do a manual exposure ?

Manual exposure would be the first choice unless you are doing a set and forget type of shoot.

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

sponsored links

5,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
What starter video equipment to get?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.