Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 29 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 16:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good price on 5D Mark II?

Scendrix
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 29, 2012 16:28 |  #1

Hello forum members!

This is my first post here on the forums, though I have been reading the forums for several months now.

I am finally looking to move onto the Mark II, and was interested in a local listing (craigslist) in my area for a Mark II with just over 5k on the shutter count, and the only body damage is some paint from a mounting plate otherwise from the photos I have seen, it seems to be in excellent condition.

My question to YOU is that the seller is asking 1700, now is this a decent price for the condition it is in? Or should I continue to press the price lower (or just wait it out for a cheaper body with more on the shutter)?

Sorry for another one of these "Should I do this" threads, but I trust the people here more than my own intuition!

sponsored links
Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,744 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2012 16:33 |  #2

If you can confirm that the shutter is 5K (EOSCount, etc) it's still $400 savings off of brand new. Prices seem to be slowly rebounding on the used front, so this is probably one of the better prices you'll find.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

jkru617
220 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 29, 2012 16:37 |  #3

You could buy it refurbished from canon for $1,759.20 plus tax

Mistabernie
2,744 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2012 16:43 |  #4

Yeah, and tax could be anywhere from 6-11%. So, assuming 8.5% tax.. = $1905.73 + shipping. About half way between the price the OP has and the new price from a major retailer. At that price, you might as well hold out for a Beach Camera or other retailer sale that has the price pretty low.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback

swinette
173 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 29, 2012 16:45 as a reply to  @ Mistabernie's post |  #5

Not to mention it's currently OOS at Canon.

April

Scendrix
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 29, 2012 17:00 as a reply to  @ swinette's post |  #6

Love the feedback guys. The only thing that has me concerned with buying used would be not having a warranty. Trying to justify the savings of $400 over having a one year warranty is kind of where I am stuck right now.

I had seen the refurbs on canon after they sold out, otherwise I probably would have gone with one of those for at least the 90 day warranty.

I originally was looking for one for around 1600, so I may try to bargain it down a little.

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 29, 2012 17:40 |  #7

Scendrix wrote in post #14176928 (external link)
Love the feedback guys. The only thing that has me concerned with buying used would be not having a warranty. Trying to justify the savings of $400 over having a one year warranty is kind of where I am stuck right now.

I had seen the refurbs on canon after they sold out, otherwise I probably would have gone with one of those for at least the 90 day warranty.

I originally was looking for one for around 1600, so I may try to bargain it down a little.

There have been more than a few sold here recently around the $1600 mark.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 02, 2012 23:30 |  #8

One is selling for $1500 now in the B/S forum.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 03, 2012 09:14 |  #9

I think that's a bit high for a used body

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 03, 2012 09:33 |  #10

I saw the one for $1500. High shutter count an REALLY used. $1600 for pristine condition is about right.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

swinette
173 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 03, 2012 09:35 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #11

How about the year-old camera & grip that has an asking price of $34 less than buying both brand new? :rolleyes:

April

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 03, 2012 09:41 |  #12

swinette wrote in post #14202234 (external link)
How about the year-old camera & grip that has an asking price of $34 less than buying both brand new? :rolleyes:

Not a good deal *LOL*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

grant247
696 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 03, 2012 10:22 |  #13

rick_reno wrote in post #14202115 (external link)
I think that's a bit high for a used body

+1 No warranty could mean an expensive lesson. Besides the cost of new from author dealer is dropping.

justinp85
252 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 03, 2012 11:25 |  #14

i think 1700 is high for used with no warranty.

isn't it 2200 for new?

24-105L + 50mm 1.8 + 430EX II

Mistabernie
2,744 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 03, 2012 11:31 |  #15

So let me get this straight.. the $2000 that people were paying for used ones when it was MSRP $2499 (but routinely selling on sale for closer to $2200) was OK.. but now $1600 on a $2200 msrp is too high?

sponsored links

3,762 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good price on 5D Mark II?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.