Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there another camera on the market that has the ISO capabilities of the 5D mkiii ?

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 29, 2012 09:52 |  #16

av8r wrote in post #14174541 (external link)
I'm confused...if it's taken in near darkness where is the shine on the couch and the shadow of his arm and head coming from?

If you used a flash, then it's not near darkness and the high ISO test is flawed.

Umm, isn't 2.8 and 25,600 ISO fairly dark? More importantly in low light there's still going to be shadows isn't there? Imagine your bedroom in darkness with some light from the hall - the light is directional and will cast a shadow even if very dark in the room.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,851 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 29, 2012 16:05 |  #17

The 1D4 comes pretty darn close, IMO, however in AI Servo, it wasn't really landing this shot. In One Shot, though, it did alright, it thought about it for a second, then snapped onto her. This is a straight raw to JPG conversion, then an 8x10 300dpi crop from that image.

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/i-SW2cDGQ/0/XL/BIG1824-XL.jpg

I post processed this one a bit, but the scene was a bit darker.

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/i-Lfb6sc9/0/XL/BIG1831-XL.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2012 17:11 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #18

There's no flash, that was the reflection from the tv. This was just to see if it would actually take the picture. It was a lot darker than what the picture looks. I guess the really high ISO amplified the light in the room, and made the picture turn out. Having had a 40d, 50d, and a 7d, I know its hard to believe. They can't start to compare when it comes to ISO. It's hard to imagine the ISO getting much better, because you would be in complete darkness. Leaving nothing to take a picture of.

Ever changing.

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 29, 2012 17:17 |  #19

lungdoc wrote in post #14174563 (external link)
Umm, isn't 2.8 and 25,600 ISO fairly dark? More importantly in low light there's still going to be shadows isn't there? Imagine your bedroom in darkness with some light from the hall - the light is directional and will cast a shadow even if very dark in the room.

Looks like there was more than a little light in a hallway in that shot. Looks like a flash to my eyes.

Here's an image taken at 25600 1/8 F4 SOOC

Pretty good, but not something many will use much. They do clean up better than the MKII images.

I sure hope this isn't the new fascination for all the MKIII owners...I don't really look forward to pages of high ISO shots for the next 3 years. :)

IMAGE: http://www.av8r.org/picaday/isotest.jpg

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

jeffreynmandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2012 17:34 |  #20

av8r wrote in post #14177021 (external link)
Looks like there was more than a little light in a hallway in that shot. Looks like a flash to my eyes.

Here's an image taken at 25600 1/8 F4 SOOC

Pretty good, but not something many will use much. They do clean up better than the MKII images.

I sure hope this isn't the new fascination for all the MKIII owners...I don't really look forward to pages of high ISO shots for the next 3 years. :)]

If you want to get technical, The light was coming from a 58" TV from about 12 feet away. But i know how dark it was in the room, Because I remember thinking, holy crap! it focused and took the picture! why would I post the picture and then lie about it? I cleaned it up a bit with light room, but I do that with all my pictures.

Ever changing.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,851 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 29, 2012 17:38 |  #21

Ah, don't let folks like that get to you. I believe you. The last pic I posted from the 1D4 was where my daughter was at the end of my basement behind a desk with no light other than ambient light that reflects off white walls from a light source at the other end of the basement. It was quite dark and is the same exposure as your image.

I think I will just keep my 1D4, I was hoping for a bit more from the 5D3, because I could sell the 1D4 and have cash left over getting the 5D3. However, I am just not convinced that I would get anything of improvement for what I shoot, and I might as well just keep the 1D at this point. I want to see how everything pans out for the 5D3 over the next few months anyways, from software to firmware.

I only really need high ISO when I need shutter speeds to stop the action. I shot quite a bit at 25600 this past trip to the water park, to try to stop water droplets, etc.

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/Vacation-Fun/i-jTps3sW/0/XL/BIG1766-XL.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 29, 2012 17:41 |  #22

jeffreynmandy wrote in post #14177084 (external link)
If you want to get technical, The light was coming from a 58" TV from about 12 feet away. But i know how dark it was in the room, Because I remember thinking, holy crap! it focused and took the picture! why would I post the picture and then lie about it? I cleaned it up a bit with light room, but I do that with all my pictures.

Not suggesting you lied, just looked for clarification as you wouldn't expect to see a shadow in a dark room.

You clarified it...time to move on.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 29, 2012 18:37 |  #23

av8r wrote in post #14177102 (external link)
Not suggesting you lied, just looked for clarification as you wouldn't expect to see a shadow in a dark room.

You clarified it...time to move on.

jeffreynmandy wrote:
My son watching TV on the couch.

There was nothing to be clarified. The original post says the boy was watching TV. If you are anything more than a complete novice photographer and couldn't figure out the light source for that photo with the information provided.... Well, I don't know what to say other than I hope your primary issue is reading comprehension because otherwise it is understanding light, and if you don't understand how light comes from a TV you really shouldn't be doing photography.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

sponsored links

3,220 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there another camera on the market that has the ISO capabilities of the 5D mkiii ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.