Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 23:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Intrigued by film SLRs

Steveod
766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 30, 2012 05:37 |  #16

dhillzy_t2i wrote in post #14179260 (external link)
I've just gone down this path.... purchased a EOS-1N HS with EF24mm f2.8 for dirt cheap, and i mean DIRT cheap. Not sure if the seller knew what lens they were selling with the body - in fact i also purchased a EOS-D30 from the same person, don't ask why :rolleyes:

I purchased some fijifilm 400 and have almost used it up, hopefully get it developed tomorrow. I'm currently in NZ (live in Aus) and its still possible to find places that develop and sell film.

It certainly teaches you to take better photos, purely by the extra thought you put into the framing,composition etc.

24shot ISO400 fijifilm goes for about $8-10 a roll (cheap stuff, not sure how good it is) and getting it developed can be anywhere between $15->$30 depending how fast you want it done, and if you want the negatives scanned to files.

Here's a question for any film ppl out there, is it possible to use a digital camera to take a pic of a negative to save getting them scanned when developed?

Take the plunge, for the price of a good old film body, what can you lose :)

PS - i picked up the EOS-1N HS for $100aussie :cool:

I have my films developed by our local camera shop in town then put on a CD , transfer to my PC and use Canons DPP to get them looking how I want them and print what I want for there ,cost is $10 NZ each 24 expos film.
I have a mint 1n with power grip came with all original box, sales reciept, manual, and advertising paperwork from 1996, all looks like it has never been used .Love that camera

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

sponsored links
jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 30, 2012 06:23 |  #17

My mum gave me her old SLR canon A-1. loving it so far!!! the viewfinder alone is day and night better then my 400d and as people have said, i think more about my framing, composition and shot before i shoot!

The viewfinder makes it a joy to manually focus. something i cant do on the 400d's tiny crap viewfinder.

Some say i may never go back to DSLR lol

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 30, 2012 06:56 |  #18

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #14179031 (external link)
I can put a 500MB card in my DSLR and simulate a roll of film. :p

Seriously, just because you had to focus when shooting with film doesn't mean that you can't do the exact same thing with digital.

Of course, but you aren't FORCED to be more careful, so many people aren't.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,506 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2012 07:44 as a reply to  @ archer1960's post |  #19

Last thing I would recommend is to use film camera to learn. Waste of time and money.
Huge waste.
With film Rebel 300 I learned 1% of photography. With digital 500d I learned the rest by putting 60K clicks on it within 2.5 years. Imagine how much it will costs on film.

35mm film is almost dead as consumer wide product in Canada. Only Walmart has films and only ISO 400, few months ago it was ISO 200 also.
They will continue to develop and print only as long as they sell films.
Plus, they scan them at low resolution and thier prints are garbage in quality.

If you want to get real advantage of film, you will need good film scanner. They have cheap ones for sale now. But they are only 5MP and JPEG1 only.

Saying all of this, I prefer film, it is totally different IQ from digital.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 30, 2012 08:54 |  #20

kf095 wrote in post #14179969 (external link)
Last thing I would recommend is to use film camera to learn. Waste of time and money.
Huge waste.
With film Rebel 300 I learned 1% of photography. With digital 500d I learned the rest by putting 60K clicks on it within 2.5 years. Imagine how much it will costs on film.

35mm film is almost dead as consumer wide product in Canada. Only Walmart has films and only ISO 400, few months ago it was ISO 200 also.
They will continue to develop and print only as long as they sell films.
Plus, they scan them at low resolution and thier prints are garbage in quality.

If you want to get real advantage of film, you will need good film scanner. They have cheap ones for sale now. But they are only 5MP and JPEG1 only.

Saying all of this, I prefer film, it is totally different IQ from digital.

Since most 35mm film bodies were manual focus, it forced you to take your time if you wanted any kind of decent image. I also wouldn't agree that learning on film is a 'waste of time and money'. But you have to go into it understanding that it's a different paradigm. You also have to understand that your options are more limited than they used to be, and there is no 'instant gratification' like you get w/ digital. Doesn't matter if it's film or digital, the concepts of subject, composition, and exposure don't change.

I'm also not convinced that 'spray and pray' with a DSLR teaches much more than patience for going through hundreds of images, looking for a good one.

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 30, 2012 08:55 |  #21

how is it a waste of time? instead of clicking away like a headles chicken, you got to stop and think first before taking a shot. u can learn a lot from film mate

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 30, 2012 09:59 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #22

As for learning, I benefitted from both digital and film. I started digital, and with it, the effectively infinite number of shots afforded one (even with a 500MB card; hint, delete), histogram, ISO selectivity, instant results and review, and such all contributed positively to the learning experience.

By the time I switched to film, I was already comfortable with the fundamentals. This said, shooting film introduced a different experience that was also instructive. Now, this was my personal experience, and thus it is not debatable, but it might not be applicable to anyone else. In any event, it is a bit presumptuous to make universal claims regarding approach, because the psychological effect will differ from person to person.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Manual Focus; only for street photography amateurs...
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,506 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2012 10:47 |  #23

Mk1Racer wrote in post #14180201 (external link)
Since most 35mm film bodies were manual focus...

Like old FD? Sure, but...
Canon EOS film cameras have AF, and will accept L lenses. Plus some of them has eye following focus AF, which none of current pro DSLR has.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,506 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2012 11:03 |  #24

jonneymendoza wrote in post #14180211 (external link)
how is it a waste of time? instead of clicking away like a headles chicken, you got to stop and think first before taking a shot. u can learn a lot from film mate

You are totally wrong, IMO.

You could think as long as you want. But you need the picture before you start to think.
More pictures you get, faster you learn. With film it will take years and huge amount of money waste.
With digital I learned all types of photography at the spot.
I google or ask here every time I was going to something new - hokey game, club concert, macro, cars racing, air shows and so on.
But it was always something on location I need to look at the picture right away and correct camera settings at the spot immediately. The difference in this situation - you come for event once with film, something wrong with camera settings - you have no good pictures at all and next event is next year only. Digital - you learn at the spot and you have amazing pictures at the end of the day.
Not only I learned fast, but won few contests and get some valuable photo-gear as win prizes for free. So, not only I learned faster, but earned as well from it, without loosing big money on film.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 30, 2012 11:13 |  #25

kf095 wrote in post #14180858 (external link)

You could think as long as you want. But you need the picture before you start to think.
More pictures you get, faster you learn. With film it will take years and huge amount of money waste.
I google or ask here every time I was going to something new - hokey game, club concert, macro, cars racing, air shows and so on.
But it was always something on location I need to look at the picture right away and correct camera settings at the spot immediately. The difference in this situation - you come for event once with film, something wrong with camera settings - you have no good pictures at all and next event is next year only. Digital - you learn at the spot and you have amazing pictures at the end of the day.
Not only I learned fast, but won few contests and get some valuable photo-gear as win prizes for free. So, not only I learned faster, but earned as well from it, without loosing big money on film.

but u still prefer film?

sjones
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 30, 2012 11:23 |  #26

kf095 wrote in post #14180858 (external link)

I agree that I would probably have someone start with digital. However, if someone starts with film (as millions managed to do for decades) it's not a waste if the person is enjoying the process. Again, different approaches for different folks.

And actually, it helps to have the vision before the picture; this is the important part of thinking.

Digital expedited the process of learning the fundamentals, but switching to film, FOR ME, helped hone the development of pre-visualization, which for my type of photography is important, since often I have only one chance.

Bottom line, photographers are no better or worse now than they were when only film cameras were around.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Manual Focus; only for street photography amateurs...
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 30, 2012 11:25 |  #27

well said

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 30, 2012 11:27 |  #28

great link here http://erickimphotogra​phy.com …et-photography-with-film/ (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,506 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2012 11:28 |  #29

sjones wrote in post #14180951 (external link)
... Bottom line, photographers are no better or worse now than they were when only film cameras were around.

Absolutely, it is just much more of them now compare to film only era.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,506 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 30, 2012 11:34 |  #30

jonneymendoza wrote in post #14180904 (external link)
but u still prefer film?

I prefer film IQ, as I mentioned first time, it is very different from digital.
This is why I still not only keeping my film EOS, but using it also, together with old soviet range-finder which my parents let me decades ago. I'll keep using them as long as 35mm film will be available as consumer product.
If I take film camera with me, I'll take digital as well to use it as exposure meter and have instant pictures.

sponsored links

17,788 views & 0 likes for this thread
Intrigued by film SLRs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.