Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
LisaJH
Goldmember
1,887 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 30, 2012 04:00 |  #6871

Sharing some more of Savanna's session...

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/6882441036_f9a0c0368d_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7105/6882514452_338282c3b3_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7194/6882832704_4f4600e3c5_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6214/7028729701_3a998f3146_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6048/6882677516_1e1d1f0031_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6052/7028929713_b5cce99f2e_o.jpg

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 30, 2012 08:31 |  #6872

LisaJH wrote in post #14179527 (external link)
Sharing some more of Savanna's session...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

QUOTED IMAGE

Love these two Lisa, Especially the first (Second in your post). The lines and DOF are awesome.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 30, 2012 08:35 as a reply to  @ cbknight's post |  #6873

Bluebonnets are out in Texas

IMAGE: http://4k-photography.smugmug.com/4KSeniorModels/Chelsea/i-RzqTS2N/0/XL/14-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://4k-photography.smugmug.com/4KSeniorModels/Chelsea/i-TN2fSKK/0/XL/12-XL.jpg

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 30, 2012 08:54 |  #6874

cbknight wrote in post #14180135 (external link)
Bluebonnets are out in Texas

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Love the blue bonnets! I wish the background was a little brighter. Her skin looks little orange in the first one (fake tan?).

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 30, 2012 09:08 |  #6875

USER876 wrote in post #14180199 (external link)
Love the blue bonnets! I wish the background was a little brighter. Her skin looks little orange in the first one (fake tan?).

Your right....too warm. Cooled it down then warmed hands/arms to match face tones.

IMAGE: http://4k-photography.smugmug.com/4KSeniorModels/Chelsea/i-PcNShvJ/0/XL/14c-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://4k-photography.smugmug.com/4KSeniorModels/Chelsea/i-g43NqzV/0/XL/12b-XL.jpg

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

Monkey ­ Mash ­ Button
267 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 30, 2012 10:01 |  #6876

New To Senior Portrait Guy
seeks advice from
Excellent and Kind Photographers In This Thread

I've been 'hired' to do senior pics for my identical twin nieces and the daughter-of-a-friend-of-my-wife. I've poked around this thread a bit (as well as other places) and would like your input on a few items:

How many 'looks' do you typically shoot (different outfits/locations etc)?
Do you try for a certian mix of portaits: i.e. full length, seated, waist up, head & shoulders?
I am aiming for 25-40 usable pics. Is this reasonable or too much?

Thank you for your consideration,
Gordon

flickr (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,861 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 30, 2012 10:47 |  #6877

JFusion wrote in post #14177694 (external link)
I must be reading that wrong. You're not going to get f2 DoF on a f2.8 lens with an ND. It doesn't work that way.

Yeah, i think you are. Not saying you can get F/2.0 with a F/2.8. Its the creamy blur look from a F/2.0 i was talking about. But i will tell you that you can put an ND on an F/2.8 lens and get it to underexpose. slow the shutter and raise the iso and get awesome results. I do it all the time when im in lower light with a 70-200.....straight off the camera lighting and Blur

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …nbaby12/IMG_538​1-Edit.jpg (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,214 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 30, 2012 10:55 |  #6878

Monkey Mash Button wrote in post #14180518 (external link)
New To Senior Portrait Guy
seeks advice from
Excellent and Kind Photographers In This Thread

I've been 'hired' to do senior pics for my identical twin nieces and the daughter-of-a-friend-of-my-wife. I've poked around this thread a bit (as well as other places) and would like your input on a few items:

Do you try for a certian mix of portaits: i.e. full length, seated, waist up, head & shoulders?

Gordon

Since they are identical twins just shoot one of them, duplicate and then flip the image in post :) Cut your workload in half.

Since you put hired in quotes I'm guessing this is less a professional endeavor and more of a project so I would say don't worry about how many looks and sets the pro's use. Pay more attention to the time you feel like you can budget for the project and work backwards. Shoot as much as you have time for, but establish an expectation when you talk to your clients that they will see only the shots you deem worthy. This will allow you to shoot away, but still let them preview only a reasonable number of proofs.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,742 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 30, 2012 10:57 |  #6879

Do the typical person in an empty frame image but use the twin and make it look like a mirror. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

ckfishel2001
Goldmember
2,297 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 30, 2012 11:03 |  #6880

gonzogolf wrote in post #14180813 (external link)
Since they are identical twins just shoot one of them, duplicate and then flip the image in post :) Cut your workload in half.

Since you put hired in quotes I'm guessing this is less a professional endeavor and more of a project so I would say don't worry about how many looks and sets the pro's use. Pay more attention to the time you feel like you can budget for the project and work backwards. Shoot as much as you have time for, but establish an expectation when you talk to your clients that they will see only the shots you deem worthy. This will allow you to shoot away, but still let them preview only a reasonable number of proofs.

bw!

Kevin
Gear List
Flickr (external link)
Fishel Photo (external link)
Facebook (external link)

LisaJH
Goldmember
1,887 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 30, 2012 11:08 |  #6881

LOL!

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Monkey ­ Mash ­ Button
267 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 30, 2012 11:46 |  #6882

gonzogolf wrote in post #14180813 (external link)

Flipping in post was lol funny! I had thought to do an overlay piece and put three or four of each twin populating an outdoor cafe.

I'm not so worried as how many looks and sets the pros use per se. It's just that I don't want the clients to regret their decision to choose me; I don't want them to feel skimped even though it's pro bono work. Oh, and I definitely will only show them the worthies.

Thank you for your thoughts!

flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,214 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 30, 2012 11:49 |  #6883

Monkey Mash Button wrote in post #14181091 (external link)
I'm not so worried as how many looks and sets the pros use per se. It's just that I don't want the clients to regret their decision to choose me; I don't want them to feel skimped even though it's pro bono work. Oh, and I definitely will only show them the worthies.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Shoot until you or they get tired then. Make it an adventure for them to whatever degree you can. Make it all about them, and they will be pleased with the choice.

JFusion
851 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 30, 2012 12:25 |  #6884

umphotography wrote in post #14180761 (external link)
Yeah, i think you are. Not saying you can get F/2.0 with a F/2.8. Its the creamy blur look from a F/2.0 i was talking about. But i will tell you that you can put an ND on an F/2.8 lens and get it to underexpose. slow the shutter and raise the iso and get awesome results. I do it all the time when im in lower light with a 70-200.....straight off the camera lighting and Blur

Nice shot. Cool, you can definitely lower your exposure (2.8 to 2.0 ) throwing an ND on there, but you're not going to widen your aperture creating additional blur/bokeh.

Jeremi
http://www.jeremiblurt​on.com (external link)
JB Photography - Facebook Fan Page (external link)
5D Mark iii, 7D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 Macro 2.8, Nifty, 100-400 4.5-5.6L and a bunch of other stuff.

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 30, 2012 12:36 |  #6885

Monkey Mash Button wrote in post #14180518 (external link)

Gordon

I took me a while to come up with an explanation with which I was happy and that clients would understand. I tell them it's like going fishing - it's not every trip out that you're going to walk away with a dozen trophy catches. And just like in fishing, I have "size" limits...if we get something too small, we're going to throw it back. I'm not going to hand over a few mediocre shots just to meet some arbitrary quota. That helps no one.

That said, I have always managed to walk away with at least one "trophy" shot from every session. Anything else is gravy, and I make sure my clients know that this is my mindset.

sponsored links

2,877,890 views & 3 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.