Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 31 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Do You Wear?

thatkimgirl
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 31, 2012 13:10 |  #1

I was wondering what you wear for business? Do you dress up for the consultation/proofing and dress down for the shoot? Do you dress up for everything? If you dress up for shoots what do you wear that's still comfortable and unrestrictive? Slack rips and butt crack can't be very professional.

So what do you wear?

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,134 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 31, 2012 13:19 |  #2

Artsy-fartsy all the time. Always "in character."

For me, that is normally black on black or black-on-gray. I always wear a jacket except when actually shooting, usually a full or mock turtleneck, and I've got six black or gray felt fedoras (at last count) that I wear as well.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,322 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 31, 2012 13:22 |  #3

Depends on what I'm shooting. I shoot a few black tie corporate events a year so I wear a tux. Most of the corporate events I shoot are usually suit. When shooting everyday things like annual reports, bill boads, advertising, etc, jeans.

Usually a jacket when meeting with a new potential client.

My advice is dress appropriately and use common sense.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 31, 2012 14:09 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #4

I shoot in a studio almost exclusively. Generally it's jeans. Sometimes with a tee-shirt (a nice one), other times with a button down collar dress shirt, depending. I went to a pre- production meeting one time with ad execs, company owners, marketing people etc. and the owner of the company asked if I owned a tie. I happily answered 'no'.

I have a friend who is also a commercial photographer. He's always been a shirt and tie guy which is how I envisioned studio photographers to dress when I was considering the field in the 60's. So I guess some do, some don't again it all depends on who's coming in that day.

I work with a lot of ad agencies and design firms from all parts of the country and usually, everyone that comes into the studio is dressed much like I am, FWIW.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 31, 2012 14:33 |  #5

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14186691 (external link)
My advice is dress appropriately and use common sense.

I'm surprised that one has to ask that question and the above is the best answer. Business appropriate is what I would say and if you are in business you should understand what that means. Even though dress regulations in many offices have become very lax there is nothing wrong in showing up looking professional. I feel better about myself when I am appropriately dressed and even more professional. It is a mindset for me but one that I have tried to pass along to my children as well. You don't have to be a Mr. GQ but you do have look good. I also take along a clean shirt and pants with me in case the need arises.

I was recently a guest at a friends wedding and there were a husband and wife team there as the photographers. She was ok, in dark slacks and white blouse but he was there in shorts and a Hawaiian style shirt. The bride was way upset with him but it turns out he was a drinking buddy of the groom from days gone by. He probably hurt their public image by doing so. I would never consider him for anything beyond a family picnic in he park where what he was wearing would fit right in.

If you apply common sense to the situation I doubt that you can go wrong.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 31, 2012 16:02 |  #6

Daily work with existing clients, jeans, Timberland boots, T-shirt, polo shirt or jumper and North Face Waterproof 3 in 1 coat if needed.

Meeting new clients - smart casual - probably swap out the jeans for chino's and use a more up-market / branded shirt.

Weddings - suit trousers, shirt (usually no tie but sometimes with) and proper shoes.

As has been said - I try to dress appropriately to the situation.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 31, 2012 17:10 |  #7

As others have said, I also dress according to the situation. If I'm shooting little league teams, a pair of jeans with a nice t-shirt or polo shirt fits right in at the ball fields, a wedding and I'll wear a suit, a business meeting and I'll wear the professional attire that matches the general dress of the office/location I'm visiting. If I'm working with a family, I'll generally wear a pair of khaki's with a polo shirt. As pointed out above, just use common sense and wear clothing that is appropriate to the situation.....but always appear neat and well put together no matter what you're wearing.

northpointphoto
754 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 31, 2012 17:45 |  #8

Sports
Shorts and a polo when its hot
Jeans and a polo when its cold

Modeling:

Journalism:

Weddings, funerals, formal events:
Suit and tie

I think theres a pattern going on here :cool:

Russell
Russell Tracy Photography (external link) |LIGHTING SETUPS AND DIAGRAMS
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

Austin.P
259 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 01, 2012 18:23 |  #9

Black slacks or dark pear of worn blue jeans with bleaches lines on the front of the thighs, red pressed long sleeve shirt rolled up, and a pair of black shiny shoes.

The red matches my logo color, and the jeans are my personality, the shoes just look classy, and then put business cards in the pocket. Locked, loaded, and ready to shoot.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 02, 2012 06:03 |  #10

thatkimgirl wrote in post #14186648 (external link)
So what do you wear?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Since the majority of my work involves photojournalism, I don’t worry too much about what I wear. ;-)a

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

celowbe
838 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 02, 2012 07:55 |  #11

Generally at consults, and not so formal shoots, i wear jeans and a nice shirt or anything that really will let me blend in. But when it comes to weddings, from experience, i ask the couple what the dress code is because i have dressed too formally in some accounts. Did not feel good standing out in the crowd even tho i was wearing black. But have a vest with you, it usually makes whatever your wearing 'formal'

Gear list

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 03, 2012 14:34 |  #12

If I'm shooting a portrait session in my studio I wear jeans and a nice top, like a polo. I usually shoot barefoot so I can hop up on furniture. But for weddings I'll dress up a bit more. Depending on the formality of the even I will wear a solid colored dress with leggings, dress pants with a polo, or dress pants with a black button down shirt.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 04, 2012 14:32 |  #13

Meetings in my office: tidy casual.
Weddings: dress to blend in with the guests, though I'm often in a polo shirt as I need more freedom to move than a business shirt provides.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 04, 2012 16:22 |  #14

Meeting with clients: dress shoes (fluevogs) dark pin-striped dress-pants, light casual v-neck sweater: grey or black.
Shooting: same except I might opt for a grey button-up suit shirt with a little stretch, sleeves always rolled up.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

j-dogg
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 04, 2012 20:49 |  #15

Depends on the scene. No way in hell I'm wearing Dockers, dress shoes and a Ralph Lauren polo to a beach shoot in the middle of August here in Florida. No way, Jose.

5D / 400d / 70-200-4LIS / 50 Mk.I / 28-70
RB67 Pro-S / 50-90-180 Holy Trinity, 120/polaroid back
Graphic View I 4x5 / Schneider 180 / Meyer 135 / Ektar 127

sponsored links

3,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
What Do You Wear?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.