Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 29 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 18:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lauren Senior 2012

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 30, 2012 07:40 |  #16

These are wonderful. Great set. She should be very pleased.

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

sponsored links
1downfall
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 30, 2012 07:53 |  #17

#1 and #4 rock! Love her choice of colors!

Bill (external link)
Flickr (external link) My Gear
http://www.facebook.co​m …y/1428819857394​49?ref=sgm (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 30, 2012 12:07 |  #18

Thanks!

Since I've shot her so many times she knows what colors and such I like!

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 30, 2012 12:10 |  #19

Nice poses -- but, yes, too cool and under-exposed.

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

fidelfs
77 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Mar 30, 2012 13:24 |  #20

Just a little comment on the last one. It is a beautiful picture.
The only thing I see is that she has eyes of different sizes. It will be better for her to have the head tilted the other way or making her look to the camera with the smaller eye closer to the camera so they will look the same size.

Besides that is a gorgeous picture.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 30, 2012 14:10 |  #21

I agree on the eyes of a different size, the challenge at such a shallow DOF is when you move one further away then it is way out of focus...if anything I should probably just tweak it with a little liquify.

McKinney, TX

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,317 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 30, 2012 14:25 |  #22

taygull wrote in post #14178077 (external link)
The skin is processed but not overdone, IMO. She has great skin, I've developed a style and clientele that expect a certain editing style. It is a fine line on how much is too much, a debate that never has a final answer...that is what is great about doing this type of work for a living...our clients ultimately decide if our work is good.

Sorry, maybe you can see skin detail on the screen at larger sizes. But as posted here the skin is overdone. Of course you want to please your clients, but if thats your arbiter of quality its a pretty low bar.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 30, 2012 16:37 |  #23

Light. Photography is all about the Light. Your first photo has your subject in the shadows with bright highlights behind her. If you crop out the highlights you'd find the subject is very under exposed.

The other photos were taken with very flat lighting resulting in a rather drab look. Your subject should be the brightest part of the image and I'm not getting that when I see these. Also that mailbox draw my attention immediately because my eyes start at the left side of a photo as if I'm reading left to right. Appropriate well done flash in photos 2 to 4 would have made the images be far more lively. There also seems to be a bit of a green/yellow cast to those photos.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 30, 2012 18:06 |  #24

I appreciate the criticism, some I agree with and some I don't. It is not always possible or alwyas desirable for the subject to be the brightest part of the image. Maybe a few could be tweaked a bit with a mild curves or layers adjustment. Skin looks good, and yes a bit processed at full res. complete disagree with "flat" lighting. There is direction of light in each image, these were all shot with either off camera lighting or directional ambient light. Specifically number one, yes she is in the shadow to remove any chance of harsh daytime light, then lit with off camera light to her right and above.

Again, I don't like the huge debate and technical not picking as some. I shoot for a living, with over 50 covers and 1,000's of published images. I have a good following and am pleased with the work I put out...well almost all of the time!

McKinney, TX

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,740 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 31, 2012 07:06 |  #25

taygull wrote in post #14182958 (external link)
I appreciate the criticism, some I agree with and some I don't. It is not always possible or alwyas desirable for the subject to be the brightest part of the image. Maybe a few could be tweaked a bit with a mild curves or layers adjustment. Skin looks good, and yes a bit processed at full res. complete disagree with "flat" lighting. There is direction of light in each image, these were all shot with either off camera lighting or directional ambient light. Specifically number one, yes she is in the shadow to remove any chance of harsh daytime light, then lit with off camera light to her right and above.

Again, I don't like the huge debate and technical not picking as some. I shoot for a living, with over 50 covers and 1,000's of published images. I have a good following and am pleased with the work I put out...well almost all of the time!

These pictures are beautiful. I'm certain she, and her family are very pleased.

I have noticed the technical nit picking as well. Seems to me when a photo is very good to near perfect the nit pickers come out of the woodwork and most of the time I just kind of shake my head and say something like "get a life". Other times though it does bug me some.

These are photographs taken by some very talented people. Some do in fact lead to suggestions for correction.....others not so much. Don't forget, there is a great deal of personal preference in any given image. We all have our ideas of how things should look and we move in that direction. Personally, I don't see how very many could look at these images and not see simply beautiful photos of a very pretty girl. I doubt very much that she looked at them and said...."gee, my skin looks too processed".

I'm betting she looked at them was near speechless.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

DSLR-Canonier
172 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 31, 2012 18:04 as a reply to  @ post 14179917 |  #26

pic 1 is totally awesome!
pic 2 is unfortunately out of focus, look at the wall on the left and on her eyes

btw: beautiful girl! :)

Light-to-pixel (external link)-converter
// my Gear
regards

vorlon1
Goldmember
1,238 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 31, 2012 20:21 |  #27

taygull wrote in post #14178077 (external link)
The skin is processed but not overdone, IMO. She has great skin, I've developed a style and clientele that expect a certain editing style. It is a fine line on how much is too much, a debate that never has a final answer...that is what is great about doing this type of work for a living...our clients ultimately decide if our work is good.

I have a question for information, not a criticism. Her face is sort of soft-focused on the shots (as I see it). What I am wondering is if this is what your client's prefer, or something that is the norm for this kind of work, your personal style, or perhaps all three. Thanks.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin
5Dc Gripped, 6D Gripped, Nikon D300, Olympus OMD-EM1, Fuji XT-20, Pentax 50 1.4, 40mm f/2.8 Pancake, 24-105 mm L, 85mm 1.8, 18-200mm 3.5-5.6, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro, 70-200mm f/4 L, etc.
Smugmug: http://paladinphotos.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 01, 2012 08:45 |  #28

There is a fine line between "soft focus" and processing skin where it is smooth yet detail is still visible. All of us have a different threshold for what that is. In a few of these what you are seeing is also a process that brings out the surrounding image detail yet has a clean soft look to the skin, yes this is intentional to show contrast of hard and soft in the image. Maybe there was a bit of detail loss in the compression of these if you pixel peep. I feel very confident that the high res files when printed will have a crisp yet fresh look to the skin as well as the other areas of the image. I can assure you the eyes, lips and teeth are crisp in the final prints.

McKinney, TX

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 01, 2012 08:54 |  #29

saea501 wrote in post #14185324 (external link)
These pictures are beautiful. I'm certain she, and her family are very pleased.

I have noticed the technical nit picking as well. Seems to me when a photo is very good to near perfect the nit pickers come out of the woodwork and most of the time I just kind of shake my head and say something like "get a life". Other times though it does bug me some.

These are photographs taken by some very talented people. Some do in fact lead to suggestions for correction.....others not so much. Don't forget, there is a great deal of personal preference in any given image. We all have our ideas of how things should look and we move in that direction. Personally, I don't see how very many could look at these images and not see simply beautiful photos of a very pretty girl. I doubt very much that she looked at them and said...."gee, my skin looks too processed".

I'm betting she looked at them was near speechless.

Thanks for your perspective. One of the frustrations or good and bad of putting images up for all is criticism that sometimes comes from what has been read or viewed but not real world in front of a client expiriences. I know I reserve providing feedback on areas of photography where my portfolio is lacking, so if I see some macro shots that I think are not great or have areas of weakness I'll reserve my thoughts because my expiriences hasn't earned me the right to be overly critical. It always helps for me to look at the portfolio or work of someone who offers technical expertise, then I will decide if I think it is something that might be of value. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

McKinney, TX

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 01, 2012 09:00 |  #30

Not too bad. But it seems the focus was off in all of these. Also I agree with some others that they are a bit too cool.

Gear List

sponsored links

5,692 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lauren Senior 2012
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.