Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 04:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Curious about gel transport

asamimasa
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2012 04:51 |  #1

I recently picked up some gels for my studio strobes. Is it important that I keep them as wrinkle-free as possible?

I'm hoping to use one on my Einstein over the glass dome; is this a bad idea? And in this case, it's almost impossible to keep the gel wrinkle free, so I was wondering if there was an accepted method of storing them. :confused:

Gear List here

sponsored links
kompressor
305 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 01, 2012 07:03 |  #2

The only gels I use are for speedlight and they are small enough that I keep them in a checkbook cover. Works well.

From what I've seen watching videos and being on other shoots, gels almost never remain wrinkle-free. Even in Joe McNally's vids, his gels sometimes look like used Kleenex. I would imagine as long as you didn't have any major, hard creases, they'll be fine.

SmugMug (external link)
Can you take my picture on some railroad tracks?! No, that's illegal now. I'm really sorry.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 01, 2012 08:28 |  #3

Here is one method of storing them (very bottom of the page):

http://www.flashzebra.​com …hing_the_gels/i​ndex.shtml (external link)

I initially tried this and found the planner to become very thick very quickly due to the thickness of the velcro on each page, as well as the velcro on every gel.

What I have ended up with now is an accordion type of holder - similar to this:

http://www.walmart.com …14917751?findin​gMethod=rr (external link)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 01, 2012 12:27 |  #4

Here's what I recommend (and love): http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …2R_Gelly_Roll_H​older.html (external link)

Sure, it's $60...but it'll keep all your gels together & wrinkle free, plus you can store gel clips/clothespins in the plastic center core. I can throw this in the back of my car and I'll have everything I need to gel any light any color.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 01, 2012 13:09 as a reply to  @ Cathpah's post |  #5

I've got probably a hundred or so Roscoe gels that are roughly 24"X24" before being cut down for whatever specific size we need. I keep them grouped by color, roll 'em up and put them in a cardboard tube for storage. In fact, it's probably the core of a seamless roll cut down. Not pretty, but works just fine.

As far as keeping them flat, I don't think there are any issues with creases/folds affecting how they work...

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Apr 01, 2012 16:36 as a reply to  @ Foodguy's post |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Wrinkles don't cause any problems. I have some gels that are 20-years old. I just roll them around a cardboard tube, use a rubber band to hold them in place, then I shove that into a larger diameter tube with a cap on the end (the type used for mailing posters & blue prints). No need to spend any more money than a few bucks for storage.

Gels are considered consumable items. ... Use them until they're worn out, and then just replace them.

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

sponsored links

1,387 views & 0 likes for this thread
Curious about gel transport
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.