Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 16:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you think is the BEST DSLR w/o Video

superflyphotos
90 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 01, 2012 16:15 |  #1

What in your opinion would you consider the best CANON DSLR camera that does not included video?

I really have NO INTEREST in video but want to know what is the best DSLR canon has to offer w/o it..

thanks in advance.

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,352 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 01, 2012 16:21 |  #2

superflyphotos wrote in post #14191963 (external link)
What in your opinion would you consider the best CANON DSLR camera that does not included video?

I really have NO INTEREST in video but want to know what is the best DSLR canon has to offer w/o it..

thanks in advance.

The 1D Mark III for some things, the 1Ds Mark III for others.

Would you seriously avoid a better camera just because the ability to shoot video exists someplace in the menus? That is illogical. The addition of video does not remove anything from the camera as a still photography tool.

I don't shoot video, but I certainly don't worry about the fact that both bodies I have can do it.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,736 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 01, 2012 16:22 |  #3

5D classic
1D MKIII
1Ds MKIII
1Ds MKII

Those are what I prefer with no video. The IQ is stunning on those. Not to say that other Canon DSLR can't do the same.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 01, 2012 16:28 |  #4

I don't believe that Canon offers any DSLR without video nowadays. As for the best you could obtain without it, you would be looking at the most recent model 1D or 1Ds before video came along, which I think would be the 1D mark III, or 1Ds mark III. Which is better depends on what you want to do with it, the 1D is the better sport and action camera, the 1Ds the better portrait, landscape, wedding camera etc.

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,441 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 01, 2012 16:32 |  #5

I agree with the others, so what if it has, or has not, got video capability? You also do not say what you plan to shoot with it. Sports or wildlife would lean you towards a 1D series, portraits or landscape may lean you towards a 5D series. I have a 5D2 and have never used it for video, ever.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 01, 2012 16:48 |  #6

if you don't like it or want it don't use it.

doesn't make a difference whether the camera does video or not, your camera will still function the same with or without it. but if you must have the best camera that does not have video i guess it would be a 1ds3

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 01, 2012 16:51 |  #7

kouasupra wrote in post #14191990 (external link)
5D classic
1D MKIII
1Ds MKIII
1Ds MKII

Those are what I prefer with no video. The IQ is stunning on those. Not to say that other Canon DSLR can't do the same.

Pretty good list and I would put my "no video" list about the same way but would have:
1DsMkIII
1DMkIII
1dsMkII
5D classic.

However, I would not put any of those on the top of the IQ pile. They are all really good cameras but the ones with video are better IQ wise.

So, I'm agreeing with others. If you do not want video, don't use it.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 01, 2012 17:34 |  #8

If u don't shoot video, then don't use the video function, as simple as that. If you really insist, then get some older Dslr but warn you, IQ won't be as good as the newer ones!

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 01, 2012 17:35 |  #9

what are the best cameras that don't come in the color black?

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,352 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 01, 2012 17:40 |  #10

narlus wrote in post #14192309 (external link)
what are the best cameras that don't come in the color black?

Pentax I think. I did have a silver Rebel XT once. :D

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,719 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 01, 2012 18:25 |  #11

sandpiper wrote in post #14192021 (external link)
I don't believe that Canon offers any DSLR without video nowadays. As for the best you could obtain without it, you would be looking at the most recent model 1D or 1Ds before video came along, which I think would be the 1D mark III, or 1Ds mark III. Which is better depends on what you want to do with it, the 1D is the better sport and action camera, the 1Ds the better portrait, landscape, wedding camera etc.

I don't think the 1Dx has been released for sale yet, so that would technically make the 1Ds3 a new in production camera that has not yet been replaced.

Al

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 01, 2012 19:57 |  #12

BigAl007 wrote in post #14192519 (external link)
I don't think the 1Dx has been released for sale yet, so that would technically make the 1Ds3 a new in production camera that has not yet been replaced.

Al

Technically, maybe, if you can find one for sale, I don't think it is still in production though. I just checked 3 major online suppliers and all offer the 1Dx for preorder (one stating that it should be available end of march) but none have the 1Ds3 for sale any more.

It is just semantics though, the 1Ds3 may still be available new in some stores who have old stock, but I don't see any new stock arriving so, whilst the replacement may or may not be a few days away, the old one is out of production as far as I can tell. The key part of my answer though (which was that the 1Ds3 and 1D3 are the best of the non video bodies) still stands, regardless of whether the 1Ds3 is still technically current (if only for a few more days or weeks) or not.

Either way, I still believe that Canon are no longer offering a body without video, as they no longer seem to be supplying the 1Ds3, and probably haven't produced any for a little while, as the production line has probably switched over to the 1Dx now. That doesn't mean that you won't be able to dig out a new one if you shop around (you can still find the 1D3 new if you look hard enough).

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 01, 2012 20:57 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #13

So you would turn down a 5D Mark II (or III) just because it has video?? I had a 7D for almost a year and didn't shoot one frame of video on it. I have a 1D Mark IV and it will probably never see a frame of video.

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 01, 2012 21:08 |  #14

Honestly, I dont shoot video at all, but ever since getting my 5D2, its been invaluable to have that feature! You never know when you want to shoot a short video clip and the feature is accessible in 2 button clicks.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 01, 2012 22:35 |  #15

5Dc is pretty good.

sponsored links

2,096 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you think is the BEST DSLR w/o Video
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.