Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 19:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

inconsistent (maybe) second curtain sync

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 01, 2012 19:39 |  #1

I wanted to do a little experimenting with 2nd curtain flash sync, so i set up a teddy bear in the sun room and did some portraits, some with 1st curtain sync and some with 2nd. I compared the results in DPP, using the "info" box to show me which photo was made with which curtain. No problems. Then I left the camera in 2nd curtain sync (intentionally) and did some shots of my wife but when I checked the results in DPP, all the shots showed to have been made with 1st curtain sync. I thought, man, that was careless, but when I checked the camera it was still set to 2nd curtain, the way I left it. So I just scratched my head and wondered what had happened.

Today I went out to do some playing with 2nd curtain sync and leaves blowing in the breeze.When I checked the shots, DPP showed all of them to have been made in 1st curtain. Like before, I check the camera and it's still set to 2nd curtain. At this point I'm sure the camera's acting up, so I just fired off 2 shots, one set to 1st curtain and the next to 2nd curtain, because I'm sure they're both going to show 1st curtain, but they didn't. The one I shot set to 1st curtain showed that way, and the one I shot set to 2nd curtain showed that way.

Has anybody heard of this?
Thanks

sponsored links
ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 01, 2012 20:16 |  #2

I can't really see why it matters, but it's a 450D (Rebel XSi) using the on-camera flash. I've also done a bunch more test shots, and DPP identified the correct curtain each time.

theatrus
132 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 01, 2012 23:21 |  #3

Your shutter speed is still within sync range?

5Dc, 5D III, 24-70L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/4L, 100 macro, 135L, 50 1.4 | NEC LCD3090

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 01, 2012 23:33 |  #4

theatrus wrote in post #14194144 (external link)
Your shutter speed is still within sync range?

Yeah, actually, the camera won't allow you to raise it above 200, which is the highest sync speed for the 450D.

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 02, 2012 06:26 |  #5

What camera and what flash?

With some settings (like FEC), the one made on the flash will override the one made on the camera.

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,520 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 02, 2012 09:20 |  #6

2nd curtain sync only works below a certain threshold shutter speed, it differs for various camera models. Check your manual, it will say what it is for your camera. Maybe you had a shutter speed set above that threshold.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 02, 2012 09:47 |  #7

bsmotril wrote in post #14195815 (external link)
2nd curtain sync only works below a certain threshold shutter speed, it differs for various camera models. Check your manual, it will say what it is for your camera. Maybe you had a shutter speed set above that threshold.

The manual only says, "slow shutter speeds" but I just ran a little test and you're right; looks like the cut-off point is 1/30 sec.
thanks a lot.

sponsored links

1,086 views & 0 likes for this thread
inconsistent (maybe) second curtain sync
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.