Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 19:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto expan system

JLP520
175 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 01, 2012 19:00 |  #1

For those that have the expan system mounted directly to the wall (or ceiling). How do those screw to the wall to hold that weight? Are there options if the "perfect" placement comes out in between studs??? Besides the autopole. Pictures please, if you have them, both of wall and ceiling mounts ideas please.

Jeff :cool:

sponsored links
happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 01, 2012 19:55 |  #2

Dear JLP520/(Jeff),

I don't have mine directly mounted to the wall or ceiling, but I took the liberty of commenting.
Perhaps a fabricated metal or wood plate(say 2"x4" with your choice of length) to extend from your secure wall studs locations to the Manfrotto EXPAN system.
(i.e. EXPAN system attach to your metal or wood plate, which attaches to your wall studs).

I know you don’t want AUTOPOLES, but I find they sure make things easy…
I know it isn’t the answer you asked for but, Pssst… AUTOPOLES - no screws, no plugs, no missed studs, no guesses; it facilitates background positioning in almost your exact desired location, just suction cups and a hinged/spring level for a very secure exact fit - no marks on ceiling nor walls and easily moved, if you want to change your background location. (installs in two minutes, even for a “height challenged” 5ft 2inch girl!)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …B_Deluxe_Autopo​le_2_.html (external link)

Mary

MARY

JLP520
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 01, 2012 20:08 as a reply to  @ happy2010's post |  #3

Thanks Mary, Lol. I'm not ruling out the autopoles...Just being a cheap ass I guess...I already have the kit with the black auto poles in my B&H cart ready to pull the trigger. You are right, by the time I fabricate things to make it work I'll want to move it anyway :)

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 01, 2012 20:21 |  #4

No worries... everyone has there own personal preference; but the time it takes to shoot one portrait for someone, you have paid for your Autopoles!

(I would rather have a camera in my hand, than my limited experience with a hammer and a drill.)

Good luck.

Mary

MARY

windpig
Chopped liver
15,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 01, 2012 21:07 |  #5

What happy2010 said.

The autopoles are just flat out the ticket!

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 01, 2012 21:58 |  #6

The autopoles also allow you to set up further away from the wall. I keep a painted backdrop hung on the wall and the autopoles with seemless in front of it.

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 01, 2012 22:27 |  #7

I had the exact same issue when attempting to mount to a wall, however I was lucky in the ceiling mount. The 2nd floor of my house uses manufactured joists made of 2x4's crossbraced. I was able to mount them on the 1st floor ceiling, flush to the wall and hit both the top sill plate and the first joist out from the wall. Since my joists ran parallel to the shooting wall, it worked out perfectly so that I could mount them at the correct space for 9' paper rolls.

In any case... Unless you are supporting fabric, make sure to take the paper down during extended non-shooting. Yes the Apoles will allow clean up of the space IF needed - AND the ability to also mount a wall-boom or two if needed. I know there are some posts around here somewhere. Maybe the grip thread.

Somebody needs to buy some stuff and get that thread going again!

KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 02, 2012 13:48 |  #8

I use auto poles too. Check craigslist as I've seen them at least three times since I bought mine off of there. Got the autopoles and a Manfrotto Super Boom for $100! :)

Canon 5D MKII gripped | 70-200mm f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | 580 EXII | AB 800's

windpig
Chopped liver
15,356 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 02, 2012 13:55 |  #9

KCMO Reefer wrote in post #14197300 (external link)
I use auto poles too. Check craigslist as I've seen them at least three times since I bought mine off of there. Got the autopoles and a Manfrotto Super Boom for $100! :)

Thief:D

flickr (external link)

JLP520
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 06, 2012 20:10 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #10

Thanks for the replies. Got my autopole 3 roll setup today via B&H. All set up and ready to go. That thing is awesome.:p Currently I have a roll of black and also one white. What would you all recommend as the third color. I have a double sided light and dark gray muslin so I don't think I need gray although gray seamless looks great too. What are your favorite/most popular colors?

windpig
Chopped liver
15,356 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 06, 2012 20:58 |  #11

I opted not not get black because I can get away with doing full length shots with a black back drop. I have white and thunder gray.

flickr (external link)

Mike22487
172 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2012 08:40 |  #12

I would recommend thunder gray, with thunder gray you can turn it white if you have enough light power, or even black if you turn off the background lights, if you even want to use gels on your lights in the future the thunder gray keeps the saturation of the color in the gel

If you haven't seen it before zach arias has a really good writeup/tutorial on white seamless backgrounds

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,623 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 07, 2012 09:10 |  #13

Mike22487 wrote in post #14224796 (external link)
If you haven't seen it before zach arias has a really good writeup/tutorial on white seamless backgrounds

He sure does, and it is right here! :cool:

http://www.zarias.com …rt-3-from-white-to-black/ (external link)

EOS R5 | EOS R6 | EF 8-15L | RF 15-35L 2.8 | RF 24-70L 2.8 | RF 85L 1.2 | RF 70-200L 2.8 | RF 100-500L

JLP520
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 07, 2012 09:19 |  #14

328iGuy wrote in post #14224895 (external link)
He sure does, and it is right here! :cool:

http://www.zarias.com …rt-3-from-white-to-black/ (external link)

McAfee warning for that site. Lists it as Dangerous.

Mike22487
172 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 07, 2012 11:27 |  #15

JLP520 wrote in post #14224935 (external link)
McAfee warning for that site. Lists it as Dangerous.

Last time I looked at it it was ok, then again that was probably a year ago. I printed the pages out and put them in my idea/wish list binder. I look at it pretty often and show it to other photography students (I'm going for my bachelors of arts in photography)

sponsored links

3,255 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto expan system
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.