Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 28 Nov 2011 (Monday) 19:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM, Continued

yamatama
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2012 08:12 |  #1726

outstanding!

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

sponsored links
tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 02, 2012 08:33 |  #1727

Just traded my 16-35 for one of these badboys, got to take it out this weekend but haven't had a chance to go through them yet but I forgot how great something faster than 2.8 can be.

Obviously I will experiment on my own, but where do you think this lens really shines, aperture wise? I was doing lots of playing around at 1.4 but just wondered if like some others people think there is an improvement in either sharpness, contrast, etc when stopped down a bit to a certain aperture?

I tried to make a point at experimenting from 1.4 to around 2.8 just to see but wonder if anyone has any opinions.

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 02, 2012 08:35 |  #1728

Where does it shine? 1.4

Any lens is a little sharper stopped down, but that magical quality that the 35L has - the ability to completely isolate a subject from the background (the almost 3D effect) happens at like 1.4-1.8. The portrait I took up there ^ was at 1.8. And it's crazy sharp. The 100% is just amazing for something almost wide open.

Obviously - if you stop it down to like f/4 to f/8 its going to be crazy sharp - but so is just about any lens. To me, if you're going to purchase and use a crazy fast prime - use it at or near wide open.

tats wrote in post #14195616 (external link)
Just traded my 16-35 for one of these badboys, got to take it out this weekend but haven't had a chance to go through them yet but I forgot how great something faster than 2.8 can be.

Obviously I will experiment on my own, but where do you think this lens really shines, aperture wise? I was doing lots of playing around at 1.4 but just wondered if like some others people think there is an improvement in either sharpness, contrast, etc when stopped down a bit to a certain aperture?

I tried to make a point at experimenting from 1.4 to around 2.8 just to see but wonder if anyone has any opinions.

Portfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 02, 2012 08:40 |  #1729

Seventeen Nineteen wrote in post #14195627 (external link)
Where does it shine? 1.4

Any lens is a little sharper stopped down, but that magical quality that the 35L has - the ability to completely isolate a subject from the background (the almost 3D effect) happens at like 1.4-1.8. The portrait I took up there ^ was at 1.8. And it's crazy sharp. The 100% is just amazing for something almost wide open.

Obviously - if you stop it down to like f/4 to f/8 its going to be crazy sharp - but so is just about any lens. To me, if you're going to purchase and use a crazy fast prime - use it at or near wide open.

Totally understand, I just didn't know if it was one of those lenses that is great at 1.4 but is worth stopping down to 1.8 or 2...

Thanks though, can't wait to throw some pics up here, there are some great shots in this thread.

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 02, 2012 08:43 |  #1730

tats wrote in post #14195645 (external link)
Totally understand, I just didn't know if it was one of those lenses that is great at 1.4 but is worth stopping down to 1.8 or 2...

Thanks though, can't wait to throw some pics up here, there are some great shots in this thread.

Yeah - I've heard the 24L is sharper wide open, but I shoot the 35L wide open about 95% of the time. There was a bit of a learning curve initially. I thought that maybe it was front or back focusing. I resisted playing with it on my 5Dm2 - and I'm glad I did. It was me. Now I nail focus about 98% of the time. And it is definitely sharp enough for me. 1.8 is crazy sharp. But for environmental stuff - like half or full body - I'll shoot wide open all day with great results.

Flickr (external link)

yamatama
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2012 08:59 |  #1731

Seventeen Nineteen wrote in post #14195664 (external link)
Yeah - I've heard the 24L is sharper wide open, but I shoot the 35L wide open about 95% of the time. There was a bit of a learning curve initially. I thought that maybe it was front or back focusing. I resisted playing with it on my 5Dm2 - and I'm glad I did. It was me. Now I nail focus about 98% of the time. And it is definitely sharp enough for me. 1.8 is crazy sharp. But for environmental stuff - like half or full body - I'll shoot wide open all day with great results.

What do you do to nail it at 1.4?? im having a little hard time wide open

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 02, 2012 09:48 |  #1732

yamatama wrote in post #14195716 (external link)
What do you do to nail it at 1.4?? im having a little hard time wide open

I wish I could explain...I'm using focus and recompose and the center focus point. I make sure to focus on something that I know is going to be on the same focal plane as something really important - like my subjects eyes - it depends your distance from the subject. And then I make sure to pick something with horizontal and vertical (if possible) contrast-y lines - like an eyebrow, or something on a shirt, or an eye. I watch my shutter speed and...well, that's about it. I just found that it took some practice. I don't want to say that the 35L is tricky, but it required a bit more thinking. Now its second nature.

Flickr (external link)

DigiNon
885 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 02, 2012 10:11 |  #1733

TilenLicen wrote in post #14195295 (external link)
some other pics on 1st & 2nd page http://forum.bmwslo.co​m/showthread.php?t=927​99 (external link)

Very very nice. I absolutely love this lens for cars.

l Mario l AE-1P l EOS 5 l 5Dc l 5DII l 17-40L l 35L l 50 1.4 l 100L l 70-200L II l

yamatama
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2012 10:28 |  #1734

Seventeen Nineteen wrote in post #14195964 (external link)
I wish I could explain...I'm using focus and recompose and the center focus point. I make sure to focus on something that I know is going to be on the same focal plane as something really important - like my subjects eyes - it depends your distance from the subject. And then I make sure to pick something with horizontal and vertical (if possible) contrast-y lines - like an eyebrow, or something on a shirt, or an eye. I watch my shutter speed and...well, that's about it. I just found that it took some practice. I don't want to say that the 35L is tricky, but it required a bit more thinking. Now its second nature.

I think i understand.. and surprisingly already have much better results.. not there yet but getting there

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i849.photobucke​t.com …s/ab59/yamatama​266/14.jpg (external link)

TilenLicen
87 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 02, 2012 10:36 |  #1735

DigiNon wrote in post #14196095 (external link)
Very very nice. I absolutely love this lens for cars.

thank you ;)

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 17-40 F4L, Canon 35 F1.4L, Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS USM, Canon Speedlite 430 EX
http://vimeo.com/tilen​licen/videos (external link)

johan75
66 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 02, 2012 10:41 |  #1736

Just seen your last pics Seventeen Nineteen... I NEED OXYGEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are EPIC!!!

Seventeen Nineteen wrote in post #14195627 (external link)
Where does it shine? 1.4

And which lens is more sharper for you between the 135L and the 35L? Not only when it's wild open, but in generally... Other poeple can aswer too lol. Sorry for my bad english guys!

xrayhead
186 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 02, 2012 10:41 as a reply to  @ TilenLicen's post |  #1737

Back from my business trip and had to get some therapy!!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Jaspa and his best freind! (external link) by xrayhead (external link), on Flickr

Gear List
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 02, 2012 10:56 |  #1738

Haha thank you...sharper? The 135L is just crazy sharp. That's my answer.

johan75 wrote in post #14196254 (external link)
Just seen your last pics Seventeen Nineteen... I NEED OXYGEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are EPIC!!!

And which lens is more sharper for you between the 135L and the 35L? Not only when it's wild open, but in generally... Other poeple can aswer too lol. Sorry for my bad english guys!

Flickr (external link)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 02, 2012 10:59 |  #1739

Here's another one that I just finished editing. This is one of the few times lately I've shot the 5Dm2 at high ISO. It did great. I didn't have time to set up any lighting, so we just went for it.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7176/7039042365_eb9f05e360_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …ichaelhulcher/7​039042365/  (external link)
Teesha (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)

johan75
66 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 02, 2012 12:37 |  #1740

Seventeen Nineteen wrote in post #14196353 (external link)
Haha thank you...sharper? The 135L is just crazy sharp. That's my answer.

A lot of people also told me that, but I don't know... I always found the 35L better and more sharper than the 135L. What is the reasons who make you use the 35L and not the 135L? The last one in black&white is flawless!!! You are my king!!!

sponsored links

2,983,088 views & 1,081 likes for this thread
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM, Continued
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.