Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Apr 2012 (Monday) 17:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is THIS?

Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 02, 2012 17:26 |  #1

Just received my refurb'd 7D. A test shot reveals evenly spaced vertical lines that rotate from vertical to horizontal as the camera is rotated. The card came from my 50D, and the shots from the 50D show no lines...Any ideas?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i7.photobucket.​com …tek/IMG_4104_ed​ited-1.jpg (external link)

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,917 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 02, 2012 17:28 |  #2

send it back for another one

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 02, 2012 17:33 |  #3

Never seen that before. Send it back. I wonder what could cause that???

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 02, 2012 18:24 |  #4

How extreme of a crop is that?

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 02, 2012 18:47 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #14198877 (external link)

Doubt that the lines are caused by extreme cropping. It is too precise and uniform.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 02, 2012 18:48 |  #6

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #14198877 (external link)

It's a tight crop...maybe 100%. The lines are visible on the LCD screen. Dunno if there's some sort of filter that's able to be turned off, but I've never seen that in 3 Canon DSLR's I've had...

---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 02, 2012 18:50 |  #7

I'm thinking that I might just take it down to the Canon Service Facility in Jamesburg...'bout an hour south of me. It's under warranty, and I've got a Gold CPS membership...

---------------

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,494 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 02, 2012 18:52 |  #8

I would do that...that's really bizarre. The only way my 7D would show that sort of thing is if those lines were part of the object being shot :|

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 02, 2012 18:53 |  #9

TooManyShots wrote in post #14198991 (external link)
Doubt that the lines are caused by extreme cropping. It is too precise and uniform.

If I'm in Photoshop at like 200-300% and I were to take a screenshot then I would get lines like that.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

Mashimaro
818 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 02, 2012 18:57 |  #10

where are you shooting currently?

i wonder if it's some sort of radio/signal/microwave interferrence of some sort?

Canon 5D4 / Sony A7R2 / Leica M240

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 02, 2012 18:58 |  #11

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #14199024 (external link)
If I'm in Photoshop at like 200-300% and I were to take a screenshot then I would get lines like that.

Wouldn't you get both vertical AND horizontal lines, though?

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 02, 2012 19:01 |  #12

Don Madson wrote in post #14199008 (external link)
I'm thinking that I might just take it down to the Canon Service Facility in Jamesburg...'bout an hour south of me. It's under warranty, and I've got a Gold CPS membership...

I would get them to pay for return shipping. I wouldnt drive 1 hr just to do a drop off

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 02, 2012 19:23 |  #13

This is RIGHT out of the box, Mashimaro. Doubt if it's anything to do with outside interference, as my 50D would probably also be affected.

Professorman...time and aggravation lead me to prefer to do a face-to-face with the techs at Canon, the drive isn't much, especially as I'm about 2 miles from their facility once each week anyway...

As far as returning it...better the devil you know than the devil you don't? As a refurb, there might be be a chance of getting another/different problem. I'll just let the folks at the repair facility go over it...

Thanks for the thoughts, all!
Don

---------------

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,633 posts
Gallery: 1654 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 02, 2012 19:49 |  #14

Did you check to see if HTP and ALO were both turned off?

That's short for Highlight Tone Priority and Auto Lighting Optimizer. Find both in the menu and disable them (if they're not already disabled) and repeat the test and see if that makes any difference. If not, then take the camera back to the mothership.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 02, 2012 19:54 |  #15

Have you cleared all the Custom and Personal settings? I got a new 50D a long time ago and it was having some serious issues communicating with my 580ex II. I cleared out all the settings and it worked perfect from then on.

Also, you may try formatting the CF card on your computer, then format it on the camera, then do another test shot.

I tend to try restoring things and formatting them before sending it back. If that camera was refurbished, then it was tested, and it may not have been restored before it was shipped out.

Best of luck!

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

sponsored links

4,556 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is THIS?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.