Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 02 Apr 2012 (Monday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Practice; How Can I Find Someone to Act An Assistant?

Shudderbug
228 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 02, 2012 09:43 |  #1

I'm shooting my first wedding in October so I would rather like to be able to get an idea of what to do, before I need to do it.. I've heard suggested go as a secondary or just an assistant to someone else, but how can I find someone to do that?

I'm in Virginia (so if anyone reading wants someone to hold their bag or help them with what they need, hint, hint), and I know one wedding photographer, but she's full at the moment so I was trying to find someone else to ask. I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place or not, if it isn't I trust the moderator will relocate it to the right spot.

I do have a Canon 7D, 70-200mm f2.8, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 IS (plan to get something wider, maybe 17-50mm f2.8 by October), and a 430ex II as well as the Yongou 560(?) with Cowboy transmitters. Just if that makes a difference. Thanks for taking your time to read this!

Chris

Chris
7D Gripped, 5D, Digital Rebel, 70-200mm f/2.8 (non-IS), 24-70mm f/2.8 mk1, 16-35mm, 28-135mm IS, 50mm f/1.8, 580ex II, 430ex II, Yongnuo YN560

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 02, 2012 16:24 |  #2

Ask around locally. Use google to find locals. Offer to carry bags or second shoot, whichever is more valuable to them.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Panoz
195 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2012 17:03 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #3

Just curious - if this is your first wedding, how did you convince the couple to engage your services without some sample of work to show?

Canon G12, Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

Shudderbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 02, 2012 21:57 |  #4

haha Very smooth talker... :) No, not really. Actually, I'm friends of both of them, and have gone on photoshoots with the bride who is a hobbyist photographer (Canon too). They asked me to be a second, but despite being the second so not as much responsibility, one rarely gets a chance to shoot a wedding with little experience to back you up, so I wanted to do as good a job as I could possibly do this time, both for the couple as well as the fact that if I do it well, then it will possibly give me something to show others.
But good question, I guess I didn't mention that in my first post. Also, I didn't mention this but since we're on that point, they of course asked what I charged, said they'd pay me etc. etc. but I told them I'd just do it free (and after if they particularly liked whatever I had, they could compensate as they wanted) but I felt better doing it for free since I don't in fact have experience to back me up.
Tim, thanks for the advice, I did some looking around and sent a few messages about, we'll see what turns up. I appreciated it!

Chris

Chris
7D Gripped, 5D, Digital Rebel, 70-200mm f/2.8 (non-IS), 24-70mm f/2.8 mk1, 16-35mm, 28-135mm IS, 50mm f/1.8, 580ex II, 430ex II, Yongnuo YN560

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 02, 2012 22:01 |  #5

I'm in NOVA and shoot events. I have a few coming up and you are more than welcome to help me cover them. I have a big gig in July in Bristow.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 02, 2012 22:03 |  #6

Jim Askew, Jon (the Mod) and I get together several times a year. I learn more from them than reading books or going out on my own. Jon knows everything about the gear and Jim is the nicest man on earth. I am also hoping to organize a wedding forum meet sometime this year. Don't know exactly when, but am working on it.

My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Shudderbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 02, 2012 22:08 |  #7

Oh really? That would be so great! Is there a way I can keep in touch with you? I'm 17, so I'm not an oldie or someone who's a little older, but if that doesn't cause any questions I would really appreciate that. I say that because I've met other people before, and they were surprised that I was that young, so I just wanted to get that out before hand. I would really appreciate any opportunity to help you cover them! I don't know that my pictures would be fantastic, but the experience would really help!

Chris

Chris

Shudderbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 02, 2012 22:14 |  #8

What would a wedding forum meet be? And how could I find out the details of that?

Chris

Chris

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 02, 2012 22:27 |  #9

I haven't made plans yet, Chris. I'm hoping to finish my taxes and do some "adult" work before I plunge into this project. Being young is not your fault, but experience means a lot in our professions. I've been a teacher for over 26 years. I have 2 sons older than you. :)

Shudderbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 02, 2012 22:35 |  #10

And it's because the fact experience means so much that some people are a little more shy about taking on someone under 18 oppose to someone young 20s, so I just wanted to make sure you would be fine with it. :) haha Well if and when you get around to the fun planning, is there a way I can keep connected so at that time you can contact me about that event, either giving my email address or phone number, or just send a pm over the forum? (email address/phone number would be sent through pm btw).

And the weddings coming up, are those set and okay for me to come to one or so, or are they the projects in the "pre-planning" stage? Or is the project the wedding forum?

Chris

Chris

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 02, 2012 23:15 |  #11

Google your city and "photography group" and I am sure you will find something. Although San Diego is fairly large, I am a part of 4 or 5 groups. Also, look into PUG meetings (run by pictage members). Although it is obviously run by pictage and you will hear the wonders of it and shootq, my group here is very helpful.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 03, 2012 07:44 |  #12

I normally use my cousin as an assistant.. or my friends.. :-)

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 03, 2012 08:14 |  #13

I asked who wanted to help that were here in NOVA and a few people came through. I'm very lucky. Jim & I shoot together and Jon and I meet periodically to shoot. We are meeting at Dulles when the Discovery arrives on the 17th.

mcap1972
171 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 04, 2012 09:00 |  #14

Post on craigs list.

Avangard Photography (external link)

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 04, 2012 22:50 |  #15

mcap1972 wrote in post #14207910 (external link)
Post on craigs list.

This can be a double-edged sword. Craigslist, at least in my area, has become the place for folks to haggle, always trying to save money (price, not quality, being the bottom line). I've never actually used it to hire assistants or 2nd shooters, but I have looked out of simple curiosity. I was horrified to see so many people advertising themselves as wedding photographers despite having no portfolio at all or ones so bad they should've never posted them to begin with.
I'd recommend looking into photography groups, as mentioned in some of the other posts.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

sponsored links

1,894 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding Practice; How Can I Find Someone to Act An Assistant?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.