Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 11:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d mkii price rant!!

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,124 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 03, 2012 09:54 |  #61

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #14202325 (external link)
You are right as I "have not" come up with a good reason to drop $3800 body only for a camera when it'll be cheaper in a year. I "have not" come up with a good reason not to jump to Nikon for the D800 to save $800. I "have" money in the bank and that's were I like it.

Completely understandable.

sponsored links
ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 03, 2012 09:58 |  #62

Oh ya I love the camera

PDR ­ John
235 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 03, 2012 10:24 as a reply to  @ ChuckingFluff's post |  #63

Anybody who buys a depreciating asset as an investment deserves the monetary punishment they are bound to receive.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 03, 2012 10:38 |  #64

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #14195107 (external link)
You are right and I realized my error a few minutes after posting but didn't really care to fix it. To keep with car analogies, you can't buy a 911 and expect the used 911 to go for F150 prices (as you pointed out).

I think what I was trying to get at is not really a starting price value, but that the market for used doesn't always have to be exactly proportional to the new value.

Have you seen the prices on used M6's lately(the car, not the camera people!)

504 HP for....37k? fully loaded? ill take two!

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 03, 2012 10:46 |  #65

dailydriver wrote in post #14193598 (external link)
I've been lying to myself that the 5d2 was good enough. "Enough" was the key word that the 5d2 sucks. There, I said it. If you want the 5d3, dump your 5d2, it's worth it.

Well if the 5DII now sucks I won't be buying one until it drops quite a bit more. If anyone has a mint 5DII they want to sell for $500 or so since it sucks please let me know. :)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 03, 2012 10:48 |  #66

PDR John wrote in post #14202511 (external link)
Anybody who buys a depreciating asset as an investment deserves the monetary punishment they are bound to receive.

Why does anyone get married then? Isn't a wife/husband a depreciating asset?

Why does a car company invest in production equipment? Isn't a machine a depreciating asset?

Why does anyone bother "investing" in a good computer? By your definition, investing in a depreciating asset like a computer will mean monetary punishment?

My point is you cannot assess the value of an asset based on the fluctuation in it's capital value, it's the returns on the investment throughout the life of the asset that you have forgotten to consider.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

mesakid
364 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 03, 2012 11:01 |  #67

I don't understand why people are saying the 5D2 has poor AF, which translates to poor ability in capturing images. If you compare the camera to like a 7D, of course the AF is a dinosaur in comparison. However, it doesn't mean you can't produce great images.

Now, if you make a serious living off photography and the 5D2 AF isn't cutting it, then that's where the 1D series bodies come in. More pricey, yes, but if you're a professional needing that AF, then that should be your route.

Everything is depreciating in value (unlike lenses). Hopefully the 5D3 will depreciate in a year or two. Until then, I'll "try" to create some wonderful images on the 5D2.

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A9|A7RIII|A6500|A6400|​A6300|A6000

ImCBParker
893 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 03, 2012 11:03 |  #68

There are enough of the pricing threads out there and at this point that most of voices and opinions have been heard on the matter. The willingness, or means, to buy is purely subjective and a personal decision.

The OP, who appears long gone and has failed to respond to a number of questions despite being active, had concerns about the price of his gear being brought down by the newer model. Most recognize that this happens and give it little thought. In the OPs case, it appears tougher given his previously stated finacial issues, as stated in his for sale threads. For the OPs sake, I hope his situation has changed in a month, but again, we should not further encourage another argument over the merits of Canon's pricing structure, something none of us have control over. We can only control whether we think it is a good personal decision to purchase it. If enough people choose not to buy, then the product will suffer. In this case, that does not appear to be happening despite the bickering over $3500.

Canon 5DIII, 7D, 40D, 8-14L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 24L, 50L, 85 f1.8, 100L, 135L, 1.4 Extender, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, and too many lights and accessories to list.
Website (external link)

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 03, 2012 11:18 |  #69

I just love how when the 5DII was released, all owners defended its AF system, saying that the centre point was amazing, that only Luddites used the outer AF points, rather than 'focus and recompose'.

Now that a replacement is here, with an AF system that should have been in the 5DII in the first place, people are finally calling a spade a spade, and acknowledging that the 5DII AF is woefully inadequate for a camera of that caliber.

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 03, 2012 11:34 |  #70

adamo99 wrote in post #14202822 (external link)
I just love how when the 5DII was released, all owners defended its AF system, saying that the centre point was amazing, that only Luddites used the outer AF points, rather than 'focus and recompose'.

Now that a replacement is here, with an AF system that should have been in the 5DII in the first place, people are finally calling a spade a spade, and acknowledging that the 5DII AF is woefully inadequate for a camera of that caliber.

+1

mesakid wrote in post #14202710 (external link)
Now, if you make a serious living off photography and the 5D2 AF isn't cutting it, then that's where the 1D series bodies come in. More pricey, yes, but if you're a professional needing that AF, then that should be your route.

Am I correct in summarising your post as follows?
- Amateurs and enthusiasts don't deserve AF as much as Pro's do
- Pro's are richer than amateurs, so can afford to buy 1 series

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

justinp85
252 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 03, 2012 11:45 |  #71

shouldn't the 5d mii and 7d about equal in price?

what the 5d has in sensor...the 7d has it in the focus system? just a thought.

24-105L + 50mm 1.8 + 430EX II

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 03, 2012 11:49 |  #72

even the price of 5D classic took a tumble as people are making their 5D2 the backup and selling the 5D classic. now days you can get a classic, with grip, for $700-$800. a few month ago that would've been $1000-$1200.

Flickr (external link)

hhuy888
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 03, 2012 17:31 |  #73

justinp85 wrote in post #14202962 (external link)
shouldn't the 5d mii and 7d about equal in price?

what the 5d has in sensor...the 7d has it in the focus system? just a thought.

hehe, you wish!
Whatever AF systems they come from, images from those 2 cameras are at different leagues; therefore, different price ranges.

hhuy

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 03, 2012 17:41 as a reply to  @ hhuy888's post |  #74

Really ??

I cant wait to see the 40D price rant thread:eek:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 03, 2012 18:41 |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

adamo99 wrote in post #14202822 (external link)

Perfectly adequate for me. I manual focus 90% of the time. Have no one to blame but myself for unfocused images.

sponsored links

14,562 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mkii price rant!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.