Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Apr 2012 (Monday) 22:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DIII: Black spot in viewfinder and Dead Pixels

llcanon
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 02, 2012 22:46 |  #1

After 24 days of waiting, finally received my 5D III (body only) on the 26th. After short excitement, I can't express how disappointed I am - not at the camera itself but at the quality control by Canon. Two things:

1. The moment I put a lens on, I immediately noticed a black spot in the viewfinder off the center to the right. I took the lens off and looked through the viewfinder, it was still there. The spot did not show up in the pictures though. It appeared to be a dust or something on the focus screen - on a brand new camera!

2. There are two dead pixels on the sensor!!

Anyone as unlucky as me? I called the vendor and they said there was no unit available for exchange. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

sponsored links
skater911
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 02, 2012 22:58 |  #2

llcanon wrote in post #14200263 (external link)
After 24 days of waiting, finally received my 5D III (body only) on the 26th. After short excitement, I can't express how disappointed I am - not at the camera itself but at the quality control by Canon. Two things:

1. The moment I put a lens on, I immediately noticed a black spot in the viewfinder off the center to the right. I took the lens off and looked through the viewfinder, it was still there. The spot did not show up in the pictures though. It appeared to be a dust or something on the focus screen - on a brand new camera!

Anyone as unlucky as me? I called the vendor and they said there was no unit available for exchange. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

I don't know about the focus screen because they are using a new style so I can't help you there. As for the pixels, you should be able to map them out. You could return it, but I don't think canon will do anything if you send it into canon. They allow a certain number dead pixels to be within tolerance.

Nikon D850 l Nikon 28 1.4E l Nikon 50 1.8 g l Nikon 24-120 F4 l Tamron 100-400 l

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 02, 2012 23:01 |  #3

I wouldn't worry about it. Your going to get a lot more black spots in your view finder in no time. As for the 2 dead pixels, that is nothing. 2 dead pixels out of 22 million is not going to be replaced. Just be thankful you only have 2 dead pixels and not 20.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 02, 2012 23:17 |  #4

the spot would bug me but not the two dead pixels. just about every software will fix them when importing the image. if it bugs you that much then send it back.

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 02, 2012 23:22 |  #5

you make 22 million of anything, one or two are bound to not be working. Thats pretty good quality control imo. Black spot in view finder yeah its annoying but send it back if it bugs you that much.

_Ronni_
55 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 03, 2012 04:03 as a reply to  @ gotaudi's post |  #6

I for one understand your disappointment. I got my 5DII brand new and it came with a very dirty sensor, needed to be cleaned professionally three times before most of the blotches were gone. Canon really need to tighten their QC, more and more stories are appearing where people are experiencing various faults and defects with brand new equipment.

Spots in the viewfinder is not a big deal though, even if it IS annoying. Have you looked at the mirror, see if there's any obvious dust on there? If you haven't already, take out the focus screen and blow gently at it, to clear it of any dust. (You can find a guide on youtube)

As for the dead pixels, how visible are they? Are they stuck or completely dead? I know that Apple accepts a certain number of dead pixels in a display, but I think that dead pixels in a professional camera sensor is unacceptable, and very different from dead pixels in a display. The reason a full frame sensor is more expensive than a crop sensor is that a defect affects a larger percentage of the batch - you have to throw away, say 10 % of a batch rather than 2 %, if you have a defect. If they just ship the sensors with defects anyway, the price difference shouldn't be so massive.

Edit: I remember having a number of stuck, blue pixels on my 50D. There was a function in the camera that would "map" those out, I ran that and I never saw them again. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Edit 2: I think this is what I did, and it worked: http://www.slashgear.c​om …your-digital-slr-2227392/ (external link)

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 03, 2012 08:02 |  #7

I completely understand the dissapointment.... After all, when one spends 3,500 on a camera, he expects it to be right.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 03, 2012 09:06 |  #8

You can always map the dead pixels with the "Cleaning with the lens cap technique" and they won´t bother you anymore.
The dust on the finder is annoying though... I have one on my 7D and it buggs me off :(

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

Jon_Doh
874 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 03, 2012 09:11 |  #9

For $3,500 you shouldn't have to accept dead pixels and go through the bother of "mapping them out". Neither should you have to put up with dirt on the focus screen. Return it. This isn't a $500 camera where you expect sloppy quality and compromises. Canon raised the price substantially on the premise that this was one of their best, so make them prove to you that it is and give you your money's worth.

I use a Kodak Brownie

jwp721
771 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 03, 2012 09:26 |  #10

^+1 Send it back.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,539 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 03, 2012 09:32 |  #11

OP, when you are saying dead pixels do you really mean hot pixels? Dead pixels would be a black hole in the image. Hot pixels would be a brightly colored pixel. Hot glowing pixels are normal and you will get them from time to time. Those are the ones mapped out. There is a clearing technique that has worked on all Canon camera so far and that's to put it into manual cleaning mode with the body cap on. Not sure why it works but it seems to. Also not sure if it will work on the MkIII but it does on the MkII.

The dust on the focus screen is a separate issue and would annoy me as well. Instead of returning the body for another, send Canon a message and have them clean it. Send it in for warranty servicing.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 03, 2012 09:40 |  #12

llcanon wrote in post #14200263 (external link)

Well, the fix for this is obvious. Stop putting lenses on that body. ;)

Dead pixels, probably not a big deal but they wouldn't make me happy either. Forget the black spots and send it back. You should get another body. Tell them you're willing to wait a reasonable period of time for an exchange, but if it can't be done in a timeframe you find acceptable ask for your money back and shop elsewhere.

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 03, 2012 10:13 |  #13

I had an annoying black spot on my 5D II that I got used to. It wasn't on the focusing screen, but inside the penta prism. You can get it cleaned. Is this "dead" pixel showing up in your photos? What color is it? Best way to check is in 1080P video mode and record a clip of a relatively low light / dark scene and play it back on your computer or hd tv. I had a dead white pixel in the lower right quadrant that couldn't be mapped out. Can be mapped out in stills, but not in video. I noticed this on my 5D II after a few months and chose to ignore it since I don't use video often. Individual dead or hot pixels are insignificant and probably below threshold of a defective camera. When you have a bunch of dead pixels bunched up together with neighboring pixels, that is when it ruins your pic quality and should be exchanged.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 03, 2012 11:54 |  #14

Jon_Doh wrote in post #14202102 (external link)
For $3,500 you shouldn't have to accept dead pixels and go through the bother of "mapping them out". Neither should you have to put up with dirt on the focus screen. Return it. This isn't a $500 camera where you expect sloppy quality and compromises. Canon raised the price substantially on the premise that this was one of their best, so make them prove to you that it is and give you your money's worth.

Though I agree with you, you have to consider the fact that 2 pixels in 22 millions is like 0,00001% and that´s totally under any acceptable tollerance you can imagine.
I´m not sure about consumer laws in the US, but here in Brazil with such a low rate, the company can just deny exchanging it for you. :cry:

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

dailydriver
94 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 03, 2012 11:57 |  #15

Manual cleaning sensor for one minute. It'll take care of pixel.

5D MkIII Gripped | S100
EF 24-70 2.8 L II USM
EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
600 EX RT | ST-E3-RT | Yongnou YN560

sponsored links

9,077 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DIII: Black spot in viewfinder and Dead Pixels
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.