Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 02 Apr 2012 (Monday) 13:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pea shooters

Blackcloud556
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 02, 2012 13:41 |  #1

I picked up some lighting gear this last week and decided to try them out by shooting a few of my guns.

*edited with smaller pic

IMAGE: http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/9/gunswmsmall_354698.jpg

sponsored links
CrayonNinja
222 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 02, 2012 13:47 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

this pic's still too big for the forum maximum of 1024.

Blackcloud556
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 02, 2012 13:55 |  #3

my bad.. i re sized it but must of fat fingered the numbers

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,231 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 02, 2012 20:17 |  #4

I'm not liking the red color cast...how about a black and white version?

---------------
5D4, 5D3, Sony ZV-1, Panasonic Lumix FX7, Nikon L35AF, Minolta SRT-102
35Art, 50 f1.8 STM, EF 85 f1.8, EF 16-35L f4, EF 100-400L II
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 02, 2012 21:03 |  #5

You must have some mighty peas out yonder.
I like the tone and the dark composition. Next time you might want to experiment with telling a story like putting some spent cartridges in the scene and maybe a hand (dead) on the floor.

-- Image Editing OK --

Mr.Kenmuir
316 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 02, 2012 21:43 |  #6

to my the color makes it look sort of video game style...I like the idea behind the photograph though, keep up the good ideas

Vancouver B.C. Family Based Photographer | Flickr (external link) | Official Site (external link)

Blackcloud556
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 03, 2012 10:19 |  #7

Thanks for the tips guys. this was the first time i ever tired anything like this. Ill take the advice and make changes from there

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 03, 2012 10:28 |  #8

The composition and clarity are great. The pistol could use some dust removal. It also looks abnormally wide through the slide. I wouldn't expect distortion from the 50mm but it looks like you got some, perhaps in post?

Exactly what kind of lighting gear did you get? exif shows this as a 15 second exposure at f11.0, both on the extreme side. And it's still a bit on the dark side (lighting wise).

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Blackcloud556
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 03, 2012 11:24 |  #9

yeah im kicking myself about the dust on the pistol. Its a carry weapon and i didnt even think to clean it. (there is still a round chambered in this shot as well)

I picked up a 2x 550w with soft boxes. one is a 2x2 box and the other is a 4x4. Used the 2x2 in this shot. the room i shot in was actually pretty dark and bounced light off the ceiling to the right and behind the guns.

You say those are on the extreme side, should I of changed things up for a shorter exposure? Im new to this so please forgive my ignorance.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 03, 2012 11:37 |  #10

Blackcloud556 wrote in post #14202863 (external link)
yeah im kicking myself about the dust on the pistol. Its a carry weapon and i didnt even think to clean it. (there is still a round chambered in this shot as well)

I picked up a 2x 550w with soft boxes. one is a 2x2 box and the other is a 4x4. Used the 2x2 in this shot. the room i shot in was actually pretty dark and bounced light off the ceiling to the right and behind the guns.

You say those are on the extreme side, should I of changed things up for a shorter exposure? Im new to this so please forgive my ignorance.

I assume these are hot lights rather than strobes. Bump you ISO a bit, lower your f-stop. You won't get down to hand holding territory but it may help brighten things up.

You can use http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link) to get you a decent f-stop that will keep what you want in focus.

Are those rifle shells all the same caliber?

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Blackcloud556
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 03, 2012 11:45 |  #11

yes they are hot lights. and phew did they make the room hot. lol

Thanks for the link and tips.

Yes, the rounds are 5.56, same caliber that the rifle takes. I was thinking i shoulda thrown a handfull of .45 around the pile as well

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 03, 2012 11:51 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

i like it all.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 03, 2012 11:51 |  #13

Very nice....I like it :)

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 03, 2012 13:42 |  #14

Titus213 wrote in post #14202529 (external link)
The composition and clarity are great. The pistol could use some dust removal. It also looks abnormally wide through the slide. I wouldn't expect distortion from the 50mm but it looks like you got some, perhaps in post?

Exactly what kind of lighting gear did you get? exif shows this as a 15 second exposure at f11.0, both on the extreme side. And it's still a bit on the dark side (lighting wise).

Agreed.

Blackcloud556 wrote in post #14202863 (external link)
Its a carry weapon and i didnt even think to clean it. (there is still a round chambered in this shot as well)

I won't get on a soap box and start a rant but I think you need to stop for a moment and engrain firearm safety 101 into your head before you shoot any more pictures of guns. ;)

Nobody cares about your gear list...

Blackcloud556
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 03, 2012 14:57 |  #15

haha, the only safety i need was on the shutter button for the camera

The combination of years in the military and years of carrying a loaded weapon with not the slightest concern or issue. besides, they wont go off on their own ;)

sponsored links

1,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pea shooters
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.