Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 23 Mar 2012 (Friday) 08:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Video. How do you keep it focused?

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 30, 2012 02:42 |  #16

kjj512 wrote in post #14179369 (external link)
Just practice Hitchcock zooms over and over again and you should have no problem following focus after a while... you may need an extra hand to do this depending on your lens, but fun non the less.

Huh? No offense, that's horrible advice. Just learn to focus. Basics first, then gradually ramp up the complexity. Hitchcock zoom is an extremely specialized move that you'll maybe use once, if ever. Not only that but it requires a dolly, something I doubt the op has, or has ever used. It's also an extremely complex thing to pull off requiring a camera operator, focus puller, zoom puller, and dolly grip.

Or maybe you were just trolling and I'm too tired to tell. Or alternatively, you're referring to something that is in fact not actually the "hitchcock zoom"

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.com (external link)

sponsored links
kjj512
471 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 30, 2012 03:12 |  #17

gibsonla wrote in post #14179381 (external link)
Huh? No offense, that's horrible advice. Just learn to focus. Basics first, then gradually ramp up the complexity. Hitchcock zoom is an extremely specialized move that you'll maybe use once, if ever. Not only that but it requires a dolly, something I doubt the op has, or has ever used. It's also an extremely complex thing to pull off requiring a camera operator, focus puller, zoom puller, and dolly grip.

Or maybe you were just trolling and I'm too tired to tell. Or alternatively, you're referring to something that is in fact not actually the "hitchcock zoom"

It was a joke. Basically do debatably one of the hardest pulls you can enough times and eventually the easy ones wont be a problem anymore. Sorry the sarcasm is lost in the text.

While my original post was a joke the message behind it isn't.... Practice makes perfect. Keep taking videos and work on focusing eventually you will really start to get it. It's just too bad that autofocus lenses are terrible to manually focus so it will be pretty difficult at first.

Good luck.

Kevin
flickr (external link) | vimeo (external link)
5D MKii | Contax CZ 135mm f/2.8 Sonnar*T | Contax CZ 50mm f/1.4 Planar*T | CZ Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 | Olympus Zuiko 24mm f/2.8
AE-1 and a bunch of fd lenses

tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 30, 2012 03:20 |  #18

i can autofocus on my 5d II in video...Its not ideal but its still auto.

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

kjj512
471 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 30, 2012 03:29 |  #19

tohara wrote in post #14179455 (external link)
i can "autofocus" on my 5d II in video...Its not ideal but its still auto.

fixed.

You mean you can do contrast detect on the liveview feed. Which has no similarities to what your camera does to focus when the mirror is down.

Kevin
5D MKii | Contax CZ 135mm f/2.8 Sonnar*T | Contax CZ 50mm f/1.4 Planar*T | CZ Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 | Olympus Zuiko 24mm f/2.8

tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 30, 2012 03:40 |  #20

well i hold the back af button, and when i do it drops the focus then adjusts from there. Im not sure what its officially called but it makes my videos sharp :)

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

kjj512
471 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 30, 2012 03:56 |  #21

That would be the Quick Autofocus mode which works well but prohibits being able to focus and record at the same time.

There is also the contrast detection mode which adjusts focus until it has determined there is sufficient contrast in the live view box. This can be used while recording. And finally there is a facial recognition mode that can be used while recording but I think that's probably slowest of the 3 and 100 times slower then using your left hand to move the ring on the lens a fraction of a turn.

Kevin

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 30, 2012 12:13 |  #22

kjj512 wrote in post #14179445 (external link)
It was a joke. Basically do debatably one of the hardest pulls you can enough times and eventually the easy ones wont be a problem anymore. Sorry the sarcasm is lost in the text.

And that's why I shouldn't read forums at 1am in the morning ><

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.com (external link)

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 01, 2012 22:25 |  #23

Well, reading forums at 1am and being drunk off your ass is even worse!

Not that I would know anything about that...

Ok, maybe once. But I'm sure I was totally hilarious and super cool. ;)

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 02, 2012 09:15 |  #24

C_Heath31 wrote in post #14138745 (external link)
that really sux.

This is how all original film was made using the practice of original film cameras and a sharp eye to follow focus with manual lenses.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 03, 2012 10:42 |  #25

StaticMedia wrote in post #14195785 (external link)
This is how all original film was made using the practice of original film cameras and a sharp eye to follow focus with manual lenses.

Its STILL how all major motion pictures are made. Pretty much all cine lenses dont have AF.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 03, 2012 12:25 |  #26

Obviously more for amateur video but if shots of the kids and stuff is your thing and you don't want to invest in accessories to shoot video, you might consider the 60D. The articulating screen makes focusing much easier as you can hold the camera a lot closer to your body. I basically flip the screen out and angle up towards my eye, hold the camera above my belly button and brace against my body. One hand on camera, other hand works focus or vari ND filter. A lens with a wide and smooth focus ring helps as well.

Or I use the old HV20!

Matt
flickr (external link)

mesakid
364 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 06, 2012 15:15 |  #27

(I haven't read the rest of the post here, just responding to the first post)

1. Go with Nikon or Sony if you want continuous autofocus, although the noise from the lens will be a drag. So make sure you get a model where you can plop a rode videomic (with microphone input).
2. You can practice on your manual focusing skills. I shot a lot of short YouTube vids at thin depth of field and I learned quickly.

Good luck

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A9|A7RIII|A6500|A6400|​A6300|A6000

wraptor
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 08, 2012 23:57 |  #28

if you are not needing shallow dof just throw on a wide angle lens and use a small aperture shouldn't have to focus much at all.

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 09, 2012 07:37 |  #29

I was hoping I could just hit the "make me an award winning movie" button on my 5D3, but alas I couldn't find it. :)

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 09, 2012 14:44 |  #30

Kechar wrote in post #14234445 (external link)
I was hoping I could just hit the "make me an award winning movie" button on my 5D3, but alas I couldn't find it. :)

That's on the 1DX! ;) :p :rolleyes:

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

sponsored links

23,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Video. How do you keep it focused?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.