Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 01 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 15:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RDU Airport

tarheeldragon
620 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 01, 2012 15:23 |  #1

I drove out to RDU airport to practice my panning and capturing plane pics using the new 100-400 MM. From the initial review I have a few that look promising! Here are a couple for your C&C.

The sun was nearly directly overhead so everything was reflective or blown-out. Mebbe I shoulda used my CPL to offset some of the blowouts instead of trying to downplay it in PP? Your comments are most welcome with this new lens! Thanks for looking.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Heros don't wear capes, they wear dog-tags!
Canon 60D, Canon 18-135 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 55-250 EFS and EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L Lenses, Kenko 2.0X PRO 300 Teleconverter DGX.
Shameless plug: http://s4.photobucket.​com/profile/TarheelDra​gon (external link)

sponsored links
jwol
813 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 01, 2012 20:31 |  #2

How about some exposure values for those two? Which auto focus mode are you using? How much have these been cropped, if at all? They both look a little soft to me, though the second looks sharper. I also see dust bunnies in the sky on the second shot. I'm thinking that perhaps you could have used a faster shutter and larger aperture. If you aren't already using center point auto focus, then I would give that a go.

John Lackey
Fly By Photography (external link)
Blog (external link)

Radial engines don't actually leak oil, by the way. They just mark their territory!

Chris ­ Lokey
104 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 02, 2012 12:56 |  #3

can you post some EXIF data for these shots as JWOL said

40D | Canon 100-400L | Tamron 17-50 | Nifty-Fifty 1.8 II
my flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chrislokey (external link)

tarheeldragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 02, 2012 13:06 as a reply to  @ Chris Lokey's post |  #4

I'll post the info once I get home as the work 'puter doesn't have it. :)

Canon 60D, Canon 18-135 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 55-250 EFS and EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L Lenses, Kenko 2.0X PRO 300 Teleconverter DGX.
Shameless plug: http://s4.photobucket.​com/profile/TarheelDra​gon (external link)

tarheeldragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 02, 2012 19:22 as a reply to  @ tarheeldragon's post |  #5

Rokey dokey! I went back to the pics to see if I could make them a tad bit better from your earlier observations, which are posted below.

Here is the data for the pics:
1st blue tail jet: F9, 1/500s, ISO 200 and taken @ 190mm, cropped to bring out the details of the jet. Set to programed, but not full auto, shot in RAW

2nd jet: F10, 1/640s, ISO 200 @ 190MM and also cropped to get rid of the construction junk near the runway. Set to programed, but not full auto, shot in RAW.

Again, your C&C is welcome so that I can get better at this. This was only the 2nd time I had used the new lens, (and I won't use that as an excuse, just thought I'd focus on the panning and captures and let the camera brain figure the remainder for me!)

Thanks for looking!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

jwol
813 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 03, 2012 17:38 as a reply to  @ tarheeldragon's post |  #6

Ditch the program mode. Go to Av mode and select F8 or larger for aperture. This will give you shutter speeds near 1/1000 or faster if you choose a larger aperture, about double what you were using, in the same light. Use center point auto focus. Make sure your lens' stabilization is in mode 2. Pick a spot on the plane and keep that center point box on it as you pan. Squeeze the shutter and continue panning as you do. Practise. A lot.

Now, the above will work fine for jets and its a good starting point. Props are going to look funny with shutter speeds above about 1/320. For props you'll need to switch to Tv mode and set a shutter speed of 320. Again practise. As you get sharper you can go to slower shutter speeds.
This thread contains some great info on panning and prop blur: https://photography-on-the.net …63081&highlight​=prop+blur

John Lackey
Fly By Photography (external link)
Blog (external link)

Radial engines don't actually leak oil, by the way. They just mark their territory!

lilredss
73 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 03, 2012 18:12 as a reply to  @ jwol's post |  #7

How often to you go out to RDU? I used to go about once a week, but haven't been since last summer. May try it again.

Bob

tarheeldragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 03, 2012 19:10 as a reply to  @ lilredss's post |  #8

John, thanks for the wonderful advice! I'll drill myself with the steps to make sure they set in. RDU is not that far from me and I can get there most anytime to put the steps into place! :)

Bob, this was my first time with the new lens, you can be sure I'll be there more often now! :)

jdando
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 03, 2012 21:34 |  #9

The advise JWOL mentioned is really good. Check the IS mode, mode two is the way to go for aircraft. Also set the focus limit switch at 6.5m. It took me a couple of months to get good with the lens, it is a big piece of glass to get used to.

My typical settings are F7.1 and 1/800-1/1250 for jets and 1/60-1/320 for props.

Every now and then I get mixed up though :)

http://www.jetphotos.n​et/viewphoto.php?id=71​93325 (external link)

Jeremy
Chimping away in MN

tarheeldragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 04, 2012 17:29 as a reply to  @ jdando's post |  #10

Thanks Jeremy, I'll add those tidibits to the procedures list as well !

And yes, the lens is a tad bit heavier than I thought it would be. :eek:

tarheeldragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 07, 2012 15:50 as a reply to  @ tarheeldragon's post |  #11

I went back out to RDU to get in some panning and capture practice. I have about 221 shots to go through to see what worked and what didn't. I did however; find these two to be of interest:

The T6 Texan II was sitting there looking lonely, no doubt it'll be gone tomorrow or Monday.It is at F/8, 1/640 ISO 200 and At 400mm

While I was getting my practice in, the King air Medic plane cranked up and I was able to get a few shots of prop blur in to see how I need to adjust things on the fly, so to speak! F/32, 1/80 ISO 200 @ 150mm

C&C is always welcome and encouraged so that I can get better. Thanks for looking!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

tarheeldragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 07, 2012 17:12 as a reply to  @ tarheeldragon's post |  #12

I also captured a few shots of this private plane that I've never seen before. It was no bigger than a minute and, once airborne, managed to fly out of sight before I had a chance to get a clear shot with the 100-400. The settings were: F/32, 1/80. ISO 400, 340 mm.

Thanks for looking!

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,863 views & 0 likes for this thread
RDU Airport
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.