Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 19:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spyder 4 Pro question

VladDracule
648 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 03, 2012 19:46 |  #1

Hello all im trying to calibrate my laptop monitor and i have a few questions regarding the Spyder 4 pro.

I have used it on m desktop and was very pleased with the results however i noticed a few inconsistanies when trying it on my laptop

The first of which is when it shows the outline picture of where to place the calibrator, it is physically much smaller than the actual device is, which also translates to the color boxes in that the calibrator is bigger than the color boxes. I am rather confused by this as it was not the case when i calibrated my desktop monitor. Anyone know?

Canon 40D, 70-200 f/4L, 28-135 IS, 50 f/1.8

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 03, 2012 20:57 |  #2

The sensor inside the Spyder's small, as long as it's above the patch of color on the screen it's fine.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 03, 2012 21:37 |  #3

I don't use laptops for "serious" photo work -- I consider them as a whole unreliable.

A number of years ago I did spend $2k on a "laptop" that I had very specific requirements for -- it was more of a "portable workstation" than it was a "laptop", though -- too big and heavy to use in my lap much:)!

It had a very high-quality 17" wide screen and so I calibrated it and it took to it well.

But since it died, all that I could afford was an inexpensive littler one. I pick ones that have "decent" displays (good color and a good "viewing range") but I don't consider them worth calibrating.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

VladDracule
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 04, 2012 11:15 |  #4

well this is an extremely high end laptop, that sports dual video cards 8gb ram 1 solid state drive, an hdd i7 etc etc. The monitor on it is an 18" 1920x1080 LED backlight so i think its probably a rather good monitor. That being said there seems to be very little info on full specs of the monitor that attached to this laptop, so far as google is concerned. It doesnt help that im unsure of the actual monitor brand and model number

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,621 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 04, 2012 11:51 |  #5

Your monitor does not have this info stamped somewhere on it?

I had a Macbook pro and used the Spyder 3 pro. I never had great success with it. Always on the yellow side. It never mattered to me because I never edited using the Macbook. I worked well on my NEC monitor but I wanted better performance so I upgraded to elite. It does a much better job on my NEC. More automation and I believe it recognized my monitor. Unfortunately my Macbook died before I could try it. Give Datacolor a call. I'm sure they can help you out. They recently responded to a thread at POTN.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

drvideo
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 04, 2012 12:27 as a reply to  @ VladDracule's post |  #6

The main reason laptop displays are not suitable for calibration is the lack of proper adjustment capability. If your laptop display can be adjusted (white balance, brightness, contrast, etc.) it should be practical to calibrate it, although the interval for re-calibration might be shorter than for a conventional stand-alone monitor.

60D/Tam 17-50 f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD/Tam 70-200 f2.8 Di LD/Tam 60 F2 Macro/Tok 11-16 f2.8
Sunpak Auto544/Sekonic L758CINE

VladDracule
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 05, 2012 11:36 |  #7

i was able to get the model number and manufacturer on the monitor from my builder, but im still not having a lot of luck finding specs, maybe someone else will?

Model: N184H6-L02 CMO N184H6-L02
Manufacturer: Chi Mei

VladDracule
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 08, 2012 22:40 |  #8

sorry for the double post but i just say something a bit odd. When i open my spyder software and go to the "spyder proof" section, the one that gives you the option to view some preloaded pictures and switch between calibrated and uncalibrated to compare, My display will only switch to the uncalibrated state, and it wont switch back again to its calibrated state.

And on top of that the next section that shows the graph representation of the color profile, in the drop down menu off to the right hand side of the graph that usually gives you the options to select different color profiles is grayed out and empty, why would this be?

And last how do i go about deleting a color profile so i can do a new calibration?

IslandCrow
589 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 09, 2012 16:37 |  #9

A good quality laptop should be perfectly acceptable if not the absolute best choice. I do 90% of my photo editing on my desktop, but although the factory default setting for my laptop was pretty significantly off, my Spider did a great job getting it as far as I can tell, as color accurate as my desktop monitor. The brightness is the only part I have to fudge a bit, as I have to set that manually using Fn-whatever-F-key-it-is-that-dims-the-screen. Still, I was able to use the Spider to find that correct setting, so overall a success.

Oh, and on the original question. For me, even on my desktop, the square is smaller than the Spider device (I have the Spider 3, which may explain that inconsistency). As stated, though, it only has to be as large as the opening for the sensor on the bottom of the device.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 11, 2012 11:29 |  #10

VladDracule wrote in post #14233019 (external link)
sorry for the double post but i just say something a bit odd. When i open my spyder software and go to the "spyder proof" section, the one that gives you the option to view some preloaded pictures and switch between calibrated and uncalibrated to compare, My display will only switch to the uncalibrated state, and it wont switch back again to its calibrated state.

What OS? Profiles not "sticking" sounds a bit like a windows Vista problem.
Don't know that OS though.

And on top of that the next section that shows the graph representation of the color profile, in the drop down menu off to the right hand side of the graph that usually gives you the options to select different color profiles is grayed out and empty, why would this be?

What profiles? Display profiles?
Where (on the drive) are they located? Do you have the correct privileges to use them?
Grasping at straws here…

And last how do i go about deleting a color profile so i can do a new calibration?

Find it in the finder / explorer, and thrash it, or overwrite the old calibration with the old.

If it's working on the desktop, I'd expect the same software to work identical on the laptop (if you're using the same OS / settings)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

3,282 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spyder 4 Pro question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.